GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 25-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Mobile Phone, PDA, iPhone, PSP Forum Access

As promised, we now have the PDA/Phone user friendly version of the forums in place.

This system is fully automatic and will detect "most" mobile devices

All you need to do at this stage, is point you PDA,Phone browser at the normal forums URL (forums.gamegrin.com) and you show now see a more bandwidth and screen size friendly forums.

Please note:
Not all forum features are available yet, but the simple things like
  • Private Messages
  • Search
  • Subscribed threads
  • Even a basic User CP
  • Are there.

There is still a lot more we can do with this, but just lacking the coders at the moment to help out.
For example, the full size player of a YouTube player is still shown, this is something i would like to get sorted later this year, but will be down to "if we can get the coders" to help out with this.

I will be working on consoles next
But haven't had time to look in to them.
(feel free to post any console information below if it does not work, will give me something to start on)

If your phone/pda/etc does not pick up the new "light forums"
Please can you post as MUCH of the following information as you can find.
  • Device Type
  • Model Number
  • Browser being used
  • User agent name of your browser (most wont know this)

This is what it should look like on your mobile/PDA/PSP/etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GameOn_68.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	19598   Click image for larger version

Name:	GameOn_69.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	19599   Click image for larger version

Name:	GameOn_70.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	19600  

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Rasher; 25-04-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone, PDA, iPhone Forum Access

All bugs i have found so far have been removed, but again, please report any you find
(a big bug was it was still displaying user images at the top, on the PDA version, which kind of defeats the idea, that is now fixed though)

As one more note

I will still be putting time in to looking at new ways of improving this.
For example, an iPhone may display different to a PDA, we can separate these and get the system to point each one to a new style which is more suited.

One of the other things we are looking at, is (and this is a maybe) moving the styles to sub domains,
examples of this would be
xbox.forums.gamegrin.com = viewing for xbox
pda.forums.gamegrin.com = viewing for PDA
iphone.forums.gamegrin.com = (well, i think you get it now)

This way could stop any major issues popping up
but we will see how the next couple of months go with it.

Will keep you posted and please report any bugs.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, works fine from iPod touch Good job!
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Still getting the full page here

Nokia E51, S60 3rd Edition, default browser and Opera Mini
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Added screenshots to the 1st post (so people know what they are looking for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Still getting the full page here

Nokia E51, S60 3rd Edition, default browser and Opera Mini

Thanks for that, i will get it checked out
i may need you to visit a page so i can grab your user agent, will see if i can work it out from the logs though first.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Not working for me either. I've tried it on Wifi and on HSDPA, and on Internet Explorer, Opera and Skyfire.

HTC TyTNII

Still getting the full page.
Old 25-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

ok cheers, looking in to that at the moment then
I know we haven't spoken in a number of weeks, but had to make some major changes (due to some of the issues above)
it may be one of them changing causing the issue, i will keep you posted.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
funkstar

Headcrab

funkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura about

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html

That page should give you everything you need to know about your browser user agent. Just go to the bottom of the page.

Doesn't work on my TyTN II either using IE 6

navigator.appCodeName = HTC_TyT
navigator.appName = Microsoft Internet Explorer
navigator.appMinorVersion = ;CE.net;
navigator.cpuClass = ARM
navigator.platform = WinCE
navigator.plugins = [object]
navigator.opsProfile = [object]
navigator.userProfile = [object]
navigator.systemLanguage = en-gb
navigator.userLanguage = en-gb
navigator.appVersion = _II Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0)
navigator.userAgent = HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0)
navigator.onLine = true
navigator.cookieEnabled = true
navigator.mimeTypes = [object]
funkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

funkstar +rep for that m8,
thanks

Ok, can you all try it again now
believe i found the issue
Please report anything not working (and if it is) (and feedback if you like)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
funkstar

Headcrab

funkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura about

Yup, working now. Thanks mate
Old 25-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

just to confirm

this is now working for the PSP

Follow me on Twitter
Old 26-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mobile Phone, PDA, iPhone, PSP Forum Access

Works cool for me
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Working fine on IE now but still not on Skyfire (best mobile browser I've found so far. Much better than Opera or IE.)

http://www.skyfire.com/

Old 26-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

will check out Skyfire today
shouldn't be a problem to get it working tbh
if you can check next time your on the boards for me please m8

thanks

Follow me on Twitter
Old 26-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
funkstar

Headcrab

The point of Skyfire is to not use the mobile version of a site. It loads the page on their server, and renders it for the client before sending it to the handset.

There have been privacy concerns about it in the past, but i've just had a skim through thir privacy statement and it doesn't appear that bad.
Old 26-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

Rasher,

I have a crappy normal phone LG KF750, running opera mini, I get the dum-downed version of the forums fine.

However, when I was browsing the thread I made about the model shoot I did, it didn't display the image or a link to the image, it only created a link from some text I used in it.

Infact, I will show you...

This is how this post: http://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=41166 appears on my phone:

When I click he link, it's a bit random as to the picture it shows, infact it's the last picture just before the text it uses.

Now in all honesty, I am not too bothered if it is just related to my phone, but if it's a common problem then I thought I would raise the problem here.
Old 27-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
funkstar

Headcrab

I can confirm it's the same in IE6 on my phone.
Old 27-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

Everythings all good for me on my mobile. Using it now nice to be able to use it on the go. Helps when im bored at work on my lunch breaks.
Angelfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyM View Post
Rasher,

I have a crappy normal phone LG KF750, running opera mini, I get the dum-downed version of the forums fine.

However, when I was browsing the thread I made about the model shoot I did, it didn't display the image or a link to the image, it only created a link from some text I used in it.

Infact, I will show you...

This is how this post: http://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=41166 appears on my phone:

When I click he link, it's a bit random as to the picture it shows, infact it's the last picture just before the text it uses.

Now in all honesty, I am not too bothered if it is just related to my phone, but if it's a common problem then I thought I would raise the problem here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
I can confirm it's the same in IE6 on my phone.
Cheers guys, this is the sort of feedback we need
we knew images would be an issue (and YouTube videos)
i believe i can solve the YouTube videos one, but its not going to be something i can do on my own i am afraid, but will address that one when we have someone who can help out.

As for the images, i will take a look at some of the mods available, there must be something we can do, i have some ideas, but its putting them in to practice and in working format.

On a unrelated note,
We have got a lot further with the PDA version of the magazine, if anyone is up for helping test that, i could do with some tests starting in about weeks time, if you can MSN me and we can sort out a day/time to meet up so i can run some tests over to you.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 28-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all

Tested with my iphone 3g works a treat.
Tested with a mass assortment of blackberrys and WM6 devices at work. Very latest BB firmware for the 8310 (curve) causes the page to render all in unformatted font etc on a white background as if there is no CSS at all, so most likely a bug in the BB browser but just thought I'd let you know. Can post a screenie if needed.
L33 is offline   Reply With Quote