GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Console Chat > Xbox & Xbox 360

Xbox & Xbox 360 Covers discussions on anything Xbox related.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Did anyone's Xbox get bricked today?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8354166.stm
Old 11-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did anyone's Xbox get bricked today?

I know a guy at work whos did, had to mock him as he has been saying for the past few months they will never get him and I should have mine chipped so I can get 2 games.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

I know a few people But nobody on here will openly admit if they have or not
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Hah that's funny. Love this response article too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...0/10002915.stm

Best quote IMO is...

Quote:
I've probably saved about 600 and I've copied roughly 30 or 40 games. A lot of them I've downloaded or I've taken off friends that have downloaded themselves.

To be honest, I've contemplated whether to move to Playstation 3 or buy another Xbox. I wouldn't do it again but I really don't know if I'm going to get the Xbox again now.
...k I'm sure they'll miss your total non-existent business
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I was just about to quote exactly the same article there, FT. I read it and thought, "it serves yourself right" it's stated clearly that piracy is a crime and sooner or later if you get caught you have to pay the punishment, which in this case is a banned Xbox live account. I understand that the price of games often encourages people to chip their consoles, but what doesn't help is rushing out to the shop to buy a new game at 60+. This states clearly to the games company that there are 'fan bois' out there who'll still pay any price, instead of waiting for it to be knocked down.

My brother had his Xbox account banned on christmas day 4 years ago, he was absolutely gutted, but what was unfair is that he'd not chipped his Xbox in any way. It makes you wonder if anyone else has been caught out unfairly by this crack down on piracy.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
I understand that the price of games often encourages people to chip their consoles, but what doesn't help is rushing out to the shop to buy a new game at 60+. This states clearly to the games company that there are 'fan bois' out there who'll still pay any price, instead of waiting for it to be knocked down.
Well of course that does raise the question of what is a fair price for a game.

The games companies are in a tricky situation really. On the one hand their costs are going up all the time. More complex games on 3rd gen consoles require bigger teams and more infrastructure to produce while their employees are expecting an annual raise.

On the other hand they haven't really been able to increase their prices since the late '80s. I remember seeing a copy of Microsoft Golf in about 1984 which was priced (and selling) for 50 and even earlier than that MS Flight Simulator (1 or 2 can't remember which) was around that price back in 1988.

What other industry has seen it's costs increase that much without being able to increase the price?

This may be why we see so few really original titles these days. They invest millions into producing a title so they want to be reasonably sure that they are at least going to get their money back so they stick with tried and tested formulas.

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 12-11-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Geez, slow news day. This was on the front page of the Metro...
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

I buy copied games to find out what there like (hate demos as they don't show a over view of a game). If then i like the game i go out and buy it.

It's same with music. There was a news report saying that people who download illigal music spend more on music as they want to own the original.

I have had a flashed xbox for sometime. It got 3 red rings the other week and not had a chance to flash it back since getting it back from MS.

I might go on ebay and buy a banned xbox just for this reason.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute

agreed surely the idea would be to have a banned one for illegal games and the a proper box for all your achievement hunting etc etc
Si^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

Just bought my second xbox with rrod just hope i can get if fixed
Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt chipping it void the warranty - even for a 'known fault' ?
Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

It's not chipped, that was in the xbox 1. The way you flash a xbox 360 is to use software. You just connect it up to a sata cable and do it like that.

There are warrenty stickers tho
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by oBladeo View Post
It's not chipped, that was in the xbox 1. The way you flash a xbox 360 is to use software. You just connect it up to a sata cable and do it like that.

There are warrenty stickers tho
Some people can get past the warranty stickers though, and keep the warranty intact.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsLiNgEr View Post
Some people can get past the warranty stickers though, and keep the warranty intact.
do you mean like i do
Old 13-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

lol, you didn't even need to keep the warranty sticker intact at the point where MS were practically getting every single 360 back that they ever sold, they were just bringing em' in and sending refurbs out, they weren't right fussed about the sticker!

+ Taking the sticker off in such a way to put it back on is pretty straight forward. That's why MS are meant to be bringing new methods out in which make sure it's hard to break warranty seals.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
Ste (homz)

Bullsquid

Ste (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of light

Few people here at work have been banned, You could buy warrenty stickers on eBay at some point, probably still can.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Ste (homz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Back on topic...

To be honest I can't see many people kicking up a fuss if they are banned from XBL. The worst they'll have to do is buy a new Xbox and, let's face it, if they've bought or downloaded even a few copied games they still won't really run into any cash loss.

The article I linked to I found funny because of how much the guy was moaning. It's a typical case of "if ya can't do the time, don't do the crime". Ending with a stupid "well I might switch to a PS3 now" just looked immature.

Besides, there are so many single player games out there... banning people from playing online isn't the end of the world. Seems like an attempt at a compromise to me.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
iNTOXiCATiON

Vortigaunt

iNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to all

Since the powers of microsoft did some banning, there has been numerous emails from our suppliers regarding console returns and what to look out for if a console is returned to ourselves rather then a manufacturer, so i guess a hell of a lot of people got the banned message.
iNTOXiCATiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

A million according to one report I read.
Old 25-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #20
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Well sent off that xbox i bought off ebay with the rrod

Just looked this morning on my xbox support site. They have replaced the whole unit and are sending me a brand new one.

Just need it flashing now and dink dank doooo