GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Console Chat > Xbox & Xbox 360

Xbox & Xbox 360 Covers discussions on anything Xbox related.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of
Most ridiculous / insane achievements?

Following this post I figured it'd be a good topic to make a thread on.

What are the most stupid requirements for an achievement you've seen and why?

The ones I mention in that post are...

Bejeweled - Endless Mode achievement
Bejeweled has some of the most insultingly insane requirements I've ever seen. The Endless Mode achievement is the worst - you need to beat 280 levels in the "freeplay" Endless mode. 280. At a (generously low) average of two minutes per level, that's NINE HOURS of straight gameplay. I can't play with my own jewels for that long, let alone a bunch of virtual ones.

Feeding Frenzy - Food Bank achievement and Shark Eater achievement
Feeding Frenzy is a very addictive if somewhat short-lived arcade game that I highly recommend for fans of the "eat whatever is smaller than you" style classics. But these two achievements... put it this way, I'm not even half way to getting either of them, and I got the "10 Hours" achievement for - you guess it - playing for ten hours. How's that for time consuming?

Guitar Hero 3 - Every single achievement that requires a standard controller
Guitar Hero 3 is, as you probably know, one of my fave games. However, the achievements on it are horrific. Instead of dedicating more to hitting certain scores in certain songs, or even beating certain songs (c'mon, nothing for DWDTG dlc? Nothing for beating Raining Blood? Screw you!) they have no fewer than FOUR achievements for using the standard Xbox controller as opposed to the guitar controllers. Y'know, the guitar controllers that make the game worth bloody playing. The controllers that make it enjoyable. What's worse is that two of those achievements require playing ranked online games and winning 15 consecutive songs. This is hard enough to do using a guitar controller, let alone mashing buttons on a standard controller. You let us down, GH. You let us down.

Would be interested to see what you guys have maybe this'd even be worthy of a mag article at some point!
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Most ridiculous / insane achievements?

Hexic HD (the one that came free with the xbox) - getting the ones for the damn pearls, fk me but I don't have time to sit there all day studying to make one perfect move.
JK Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Hate the ones in need for speed when you have to play on a race week, these weeks only happen once, and thats it you cant get them after.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Bladder of Steel on Rock Band 2.

Playing the Endless setlist 2 (84 songs) without pausing or failing a song.
This totals at 6 hours 15 minutes of game play with the hard songs at the end of the set list meaning tired person -> more likely to fail. As an example of this on my hard play through on drums (which I had paused earlier to eat something) the first song I failed was Visions (song 82 in the set list) 3 notes before the end.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Ferret View Post
Hexic HD (the one that came free with the xbox) - getting the ones for the damn pearls, fk me but I don't have time to sit there all day studying to make one perfect move.
F*cking Hexic! I was telling Tony about the black pearl one. That game is f*cking relentless.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

GH3 lefty flip! WTF!

Also concur with hexic having to do the black pearl...think i've gotten 4 or 5 pearls together, but not in the right pattern, and still missing 1 or 2. Get one at the bottom and you're screwed...
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcessNeo View Post
Bladder of Steel on Rock Band 2.

Playing the Endless setlist 2 (84 songs) without pausing or failing a song.
This totals at 6 hours 15 minutes of game play with the hard songs at the end of the set list meaning tired person -> more likely to fail. As an example of this on my hard play through on drums (which I had paused earlier to eat something) the first song I failed was Visions (song 82 in the set list) 3 notes before the end.
OUCH that is HARSH. Does it have to be on Expert or are you able to be boring and go Easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ed View Post
GH3 lefty flip! WTF!
Use a mirror

Yeah Ginge was saying about the Black Pearl thing, sounds pretty harsh.

Another Bejeweled one - 10,000 hypercubes created.

In *checks Raptr* seven hours of gameplay I've managed to get about 35-40. Out of 10,000. 35/10,000. That's so low that's not even 1%. In seven hours. If I keep up the pace it'll be about 2,100 hours of playing until I get all of them.

Bioshock - Beat the game on Hard without dying
It's very safe to say that Bioshock, while an amazing game that genuinely moves, terrifies, and twists in ways rarely seen in video games, is terribly easy. And indeed, this achievement starts off so smoothly - right up until the first Big Daddy kills you in two damn hits, the first of course stunning you so you cannot retaliate.

Guitar Hero 3 - ALL of the co-op career achievements
Easy enough to get if it wasn't for one problem - you can only get them for ONE F*CKING GAMERCARD AT A TIME. So if TGK and I want to get all of the achievements, not only do we have to play through Expert, then suffer through Hard, Medium, and Easy, but we have to do it TWICE. Not cool in the slightest. In fact the more I think about it the more convinced I am that GH3's achievements are specifically designed to p*ss gamers off.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 08-10-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
OUCH that is HARSH. Does it have to be on Expert or are you able to be boring and go Easy?
Medium or higher, I plan on doing bladder of steel on medium bass as soon as I find a cheap wired controller for the PS3 since batteries dieing mid set list = ....
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Be a man, do vocals and bass/guitar! On expert!

ok, so when I did this for RB1 I did have breaks... but I COULD have done it, I reckon, maybe, possibly
Old 09-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Ferret View Post
Be a man, do vocals and bass/guitar! On expert!
I would if I could:

Pass chop suey on expert vocals
Pass the impossible tier songs on expert guitar/bass
Old 09-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

Practice practice practice, Foreplay/Long Time on vocals, and Green Grass and High Tides on guitar, at the same time as something else... not easy GGaHT, especially with a GHWT guitar , those solos are epically killer. Highway Star too, to think of it.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

I'm confident I could do it on Hard, maybe on Expert, with my limited playing of RB anyway... not even the harder songs were too rough, at least compared to Raining Blood, TTFAF, DWDTG, One, etc. Medium would be easy but boring as hell!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Playing Saints Row I've also decided that any online achievement totally sucks. I cannot physically get them because after five minutes of waiting there were no other players to join in a ranked match.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Playing Saints Row I've also decided that any online achievement totally sucks. I cannot physically get them because after five minutes of waiting there were no other players to join in a ranked match.
Stop playing four year old games
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #15
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

I only just got my xbox, leave me alone
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

I'd like to correct some errors I made regarding Bejeweled.

-It isn't 10,000 hypercubes, it's 1,000. You do, however, need to make 10,000 power gems - power gems are made by getting four jewels linked, hypercubes by getting five.
-Endless mode doesn't have to be done at once, thank goodness - however the levels have started taking almost ten minutes a piece and I'm only at the 20th!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
evilgiraffeman

Manhack

evilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really nice

Surprised no one has mentioned the Gears of War ones. The original has you play kill 10,000 people in ranked matches which is fair enough. But word is that it doesn't even work, so you have to kill closer to 13,000 people or even 15,000 before it unlocks and there isn't any easy way to see your achievement progress.

Gears of War 2 then decided to raise the bar to kill 100,000 enemies, which is admittedly easier because you can include Horde mode and the campaign. Was chatting to someone on Xbox Live who had played every night for at least an hour since the release, which is almost a year and still hasn't got it.

Ouch.
evilgiraffeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Ouch indeed!

Quick special mention for Sonic 1, on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I managed to get all of the "hard" achievements (get all chaos emeralds, beat the game without dying, beat the game in under 40 minutes) in a single playthrough. The 40 minutes challenge looks far harder than it is, apparently, since i had time to play through all the Worlds of Illusion to get the emeralds, and had an appallingly slow run in with the Final Zone boss (was never in the capsule near me, the douche, took nearly five minutes to beat him).

Easiest 200g I've gotten.

Also on the opposite end of the scale, Oblivion gives you a surprisingly generous amount of gamerscore, I believe 50, just for exiting the sewer at the start of the game. As in, "you get 50g before the game has even properly begun".
Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
Ste (homz)

Bullsquid

Ste (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of light

Cod 4 Mile High Club, that wasnt an easy one.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Ste (homz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

Quote:
We knew that there was contingency of Xbox 360 owners who place a remarkable amount of importance on their largely unimportant Gamerscore -- however, a recent Official Xbox Magazine interview with Gearbox president Randy Pitchford has got us worried about our fellow man. According to Pitchford, developers who tweak their game's Achievements to make them a tad easier to obtain can boost sales of said game "by something like 10 and 40 thousand units."

Yes, Pitchford claims that there are 10 to 40 thousand people out there who purchase games based on their capacity to bolster their e-peen. That represents around $2.4 million being spent on making an inconsequential number slightly larger. Our faith in humanity wasn't just shaken by Pitchford's report -- it was absolutely obliterated. We're gonna go watch Rudy a few times until that faith is restored.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/07/pi...-40-000-units/