GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 19-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough
Iraq: TANKS 'BREAK JAIL WALLS

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...196214,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
British troops had arrived at the police station where the two men were being held and encircled the building, where they were attacked by demonstrators with stones and petrol bombs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .
One soldier was seen engulfed by flames tumbling from a tank and gunfire was exchanged between the two sides, leaving three soldiers injured and two civilians dead while 15 others were injured.

The video is shocking, I don't know what had gone through his mind, but mostly likely something along the lines of, is this my time? You die inside the tank from fumes and heat (if any?) or jump into literally what could be called a pool of sharks.
Sickens me the way some people act.

It's not like they coul dhave shot at them either, too many and you'd just piss them off even more. They couldn't drive away or they'd hurt/kill more....Catch 22.

If it was me? I don't think id have had the nerve to get out myself.
Those guys, BALLS OF STEEL
Old 20-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
Losty

Human Grunt

Losty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the rough
I heard on the news there was a chance the fire could have set off the ammunition in the tank. I'd rather take my chances with the crowd at any rate.

Details on this are still short btw. Apparently, 2 soldiers (could be secret service) without uniform shot at a group of Iraqi police, killing one, were arrested by the Iraqi police. After hours of negotiation between the Iraqis and the MoD, the prison they were locked up in was surrounded by another crowd of Iraqis. A group of British soldiers formed a barrier between the jail and the crowd. Then a APC/Tank drove through the wall, breaking it down and freeing our imprisoned soldiers.

All very much speculation from the press at the mo. It leaves me with mixed feelings so I'm going to wait to see what comes out tomorrow.

Pretty shocking seeing the crowd pelting the tank with stones and then going after the soldiers though.
Losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
no chance of ammo going off - armoured vehicles today are designed to withstand heat and flame, they might have gotten a little hot inside the APC and thought they were going to cook inside so decided to abandon vehicle..

the guardian has a picture of what looks like the commander in the APC with his clothes on fire on the front cover..
Old 20-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
I think there's more here than meets the eye.
I don't really believe that 10 tanks would be sent in and the walls of the jail broken down for two ordinary squaddies.
Those two were involved in something that the authorities really really didn't want them to be questioned about. We can only wonder what.
Old 20-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
well the news is now saying that the soldiers were going to be handed over to rebel forces so the imperium.. er.. i mean troops had to get them out quick..
Old 20-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
I heard that they had been handed over to the militants. The BBC news site says that the troops broke into the police station but found that the men weren't there. They were subsequently found in the hands of the Shia militia.

Quote:
"At the point of a 30mm cannon - no shots were fired - but at the point of this cannon, the Iraqi police gave away the location of where the two British soldiers had been taken," he said.

Yes, I think I would too.

If the Iraqi police have, as it appears, been infiltrated by the militant factions perhaps it is time we pulled out and left them to it.
Old 20-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Losty

Human Grunt

Losty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the rough
If they are handing our soldiers over to militias... let them fight the ****ing war instead.

EDIT: You said that too Bettox. This war is getting messy, fast :/
Losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Get out and leave em to it I say, it was never our war and still isnt, concentrate on sorting this country out before trying to sort someone elses out.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
I always knew it was a slippery slope that blair had put us on
MaddAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold
yeah same aussie.. bit suprised to see suprise at the state of this, it was always going to be like this from the moment we went in..
Old 20-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Captain Scarlet

Barnacle

Captain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Scarlet has a spectacular aura about
This was NEVER going to be pretty. The sheer brutality of what actually needs to be done doesn't bare thinking about. Are we ready to deal out such measures? or do we run away with our tails between our legs?

Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 20-09-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Captain Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold
thoughs tanks where not modded with the plug for the com lines so they could not close the the door on top.thats why the could lob fuel bombs in. when my dad goes back to iraq he will be in the newly modded tanks with a coms plug. he said that he would have run them over as he is permitted to do so if his life is in danger.
AMD R9 290X @ 1100/1420MHz
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Corsair Vengeance C70 Black
Gunner002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
Pretty ****ing brave of em all.

On the BBC they had the captured equipment - looked like they were going to wage war but it seems there were 8 originally and 2 were handed over to milita.
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #14
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
they was SAS...is it any suprise the army went in to get them?
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBK

yes
Old 21-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #16
Trepkkos

Manhack

Trepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to all
why?
Trepkkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBK
Dont think it was the reason behind it. The UK army belived there was a real threat to them if they remained in custody and that was why they were pulled out. The news stated the IRAQ government had already cleared all of the for release.
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote