GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself First time on our forums, introduce yourself & tell us a bit about you.

Old 22-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about
Hi everybody!

Hey guys.

I'm Matt, I'm 19 and I'm currently studying Computing at Plymouth University. My hobbies include playing games, making games, writing about games as well as football, movies and all the usual stuff.

My Steam name is the same as my username so feel free to add me on there.

It's been a while since I've been on a gaming forum and I'm looking forward to getting involved in discussions and getting to know you all!

Matt
The Griddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hi everybody!

Hey Matt, welcome to the forums .

Making games? Any examples?

What sort of games do you play on PC?
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about

Thanks

I made a few small games in college, but none that I feel proud enough of to show here. I'm currently working on a puzzle-based mod for Amnesia: The Dark Descent that I will post about as it progresses.

I play a lot of indie games, action games and RPGs but I'm starting to get more into strategy games with Civilization V and XCOM. I also play the occasional game of TF2.
Old 22-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to see some of the games that you made - I also doubt I'd be able to play your mod for Amnesia.

Do you play many online/co-op games besides TF2?
Old 22-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

To be honest I'm not sure if I even still have the games I made in college, and most of them were made before I knew anything about programming, so there's not much to show

I'm actually making sure to avoid all the horror aspects of the engine and focusing purely on the puzzles so there's no worries there!

I play a bit of Killing Floor and Star Wars: Battlefront II since the recent sale but it's mainly shooters. I hear a lot about DOTA 2 though so I'll probably give that a go soon.

Last edited by The Griddler; 22-05-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 22-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griddler View Post
I'm actually making sure to avoid all the horror aspects of the engine and focusing purely on the puzzles so there's no worries there!
But isn't the horror sort of the point? A maze would be amazing with puzzles and scary things round corners.. I thought that's what Amnesia was anyway? Puzzles and scary things.

Quote:
I play a bit of Killing Floor and Star Wars: Battlefront II since the recent sale but it's mainly shooters. I hear a lot about DOTA 2 though so I'll probably give that a go soon.
Killing floor is a favorite of mine (ours). Love me some zombies. I've got a ton of DOTA 2 keys if you want one. Played it myself for a bit but wasn't a huge fan of the MOBA genre.
Old 22-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

Oh Hai! A fellow Plymothian! Welcome to the madhouse
Old 22-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
But isn't the horror sort of the point? A maze would be amazing with puzzles and scary things round corners.. I thought that's what Amnesia was anyway? Puzzles and scary things.
That's true of the original, but the engine is perfect for making a puzzle game. There are so many amnesia mods filled with jump scares that if I made one it would just get lost in the crowd, while the puzzle elements are underused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Killing floor is a favorite of mine (ours). Love me some zombies. I've got a ton of DOTA 2 keys if you want one. Played it myself for a bit but wasn't a huge fan of the MOBA genre.
I'd love to have a game of Killing Floor with you guys sometime. A DOTA 2 key would be great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfromabove View Post
Oh Hai! A fellow Plymothian! Welcome to the madhouse
Thanks! I'm sure I'll get used to it, being from Plymouth and all
Old 22-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
That's true of the original, but the engine is perfect for making a puzzle game. There are so many amnesia mods filled with jump scares that if I made one it would just get lost in the crowd, while the puzzle elements are underused.
I'm sure you're a better judge than I. I've not touched the game due to the scare elements :P

Quote:
I'd love to have a game of Killing Floor with you guys sometime. A DOTA 2 key would be great too!
Add me on Steam - I think my username is kaosticx.. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaosticx

I'll drop you a DOTA 2 key tonight if you remind me.

As for Killing Floor, we tend to have impromptu matches every now and then with about four or five of us. I'll be sure to give you a shout next time we do!
Old 22-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future

Hi there I'll add you on steam!
HarrieSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome to the forums
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all

Hey Matt, you'll fit in just fine here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domdange
Don't give what you can't take.
Emseypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

Thanks everyone, this site seems pretty cool, although I'm a little disappointed no one replied "Hi Dr Nick!" :P
Old 22-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Thanks everyone, this site seems pretty cool, although I'm a little disappointed no one replied "Hi Dr Nick!" :P
Dammit!
Old 22-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dr Nick
Hope you enjoy your stay here

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all

In by a marge-in there Rash..
Quote:
Old 22-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseypenguin View Post
In by a marge-in there Rash..
If you don't mind me bart-ing in, we are not doing a pun thread that's welcoming a newcomer in!
Old 22-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Bah, that's a bit duff, man!
Quote:
Old 23-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

EY UP Matt. Something about his place attracts Plymothians... even ones by default like me.

Not that I am not constantly scheming my return to the real world... DERBYSHIRE! :P

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
No, that profile pic isn't Fisher Stevens
Misterwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterwoot View Post
EY UP Matt. Something about his place attracts Plymothians...
Seems that way!

Come on guys, I'm groening at these puns.