GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Music

Music Can't get that tune out of your head? Musical dicussion in here.

Old 25-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Who is the most influential artist?

Hey Guys, I was just thinking.
Who is the most influential artist of say.. the 1900's onwards?
What do you think?
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Re: Who is the most influential artist?

Frank Sinatra for solo talent.
or The Beatles for rock music.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Frank Sinatra for solo talent.
or The Beatles for rock music.
Also Beatles for pioneering recording techniques.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute

i would say Frank sinatra as well + 1 on that
Si^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si^ View Post
i would say Frank sinatra as well + 1 on that
+ Another.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

Tupac, changed me for life homez
Old 26-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

So many people are saying Frank Sinatra..
Care to explain why?

I agree on The Beatles but for Solo-Artist I would probably have to go with one of two of these people.
Micheal Jackson or Elvis.
Purely for the fact that Elvis sort of Kick-Started Rock&Roll as we know it today & MJ just because he is the most fantastical kiddy fiddler ever?
Old 26-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #8
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Arguably, Bing Crosby is more influential, (in sales and as a genre-creator), as he paved the way for solo artists, but Sinatra made the role his own.

Aside from having a career of 60 years, having, subjectively, the best voice 'popular' music has ever seen, there won't ever be anyone like him again.

Then again, simply saying his name is enough. He requires no explanation or justification. Charismatic.

He may not be as prolific as Jackson, The Beatles or Elvis, but I believe him to be more influential. Then again, the topic could have narrowed the ground a bit by putting a specific genre.
Old 26-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

I say influential artist, no genres
Of course you could go all the way back & just say that Billy Holiday is the most influential or somebody like.. The creators of Blues. It's opinionated
Old 26-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
Snoozer
Banned

Then again, we can go further and say any US artist post 1900 - pre-1960 was probably helped by the Mafia, so it's a skewered argument.

I'd still stick to my choices.

UK - The Beatles
US - Sinatra
Old 26-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #11
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Of-course it is going to be a skewed argument. Any argument is never going to have a definant (spelling will not get right!) answer unless it is factual based. This argument is opinion based, there-for there is no correct or incorrect answer.
Some may say this type of argument is pointless but hey, who am I to tell them otherwise!

I would have to say
UK - The Beatles
US - MJ
Turkey - Tarkan (who brought me so much delight with Kiss Kiss )
Old 26-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Quimbolina

Houndeye

Quimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura about

I would have to say Elvis. His influence keeps thousands of people in work as impersonators, his house attracts millions of people every year & he even has his own cult. I personally am not a fan of his but Elvis 'mania' is still going strong even in the 21st century.

Quimbolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

I wouldn't say that he was the most influential but I think that he was where some of the Rock&Roll started. The fact that he wanted his own cult is kinda scary though..
Old 26-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not really sure if Sinatra or Jackson really changed, or influenced the sound of music as much as some people out there. Thats what I interpret the question to be anyway, influence music itself.

I'd probably put bands like Pink Floyd up there, maybe Bob Dylan, Black Sabbath, Nirvana etc. Bands that kicked off new genres, not made existing genres larger.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

I gotta agree with Bob Dylan because his music effectively moved the hippy movement forward.
Old 26-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd include DJs I'd nominate Alan Freed.

He was the first to start playing R&B (real R&B that is, not what they call R&B today. I mean people like Big Bill Broonzy) and then Rock'n'Roll on mainstream radio stations and really kick started the whole musical culture that we enjoy today. Far more influential than any one musician.

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 26-04-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
funkstar

Headcrab

funkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura aboutfunkstar has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about the most influential artist, but Johnny Cash has to be up there in this list.
funkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

For Dj's, I would nominate Grand Master Flash.. First person to use decks as an instrument