GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 26-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of
Heat sink for my graphics card

Does anyone know where i can get a graphics card heat sink for my ati 3850 HD agp card? I have it in my media system and since upgrading the drivers the fan seems to be on flat out and you know you need a media system silent.
Old 26-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of
Re: Heat sink for my graphics card

Just found this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/therm...-not-inc)-92mm

any good? Does it take much room up? as it would be going into a shuttle system case

I found this to control the fan. Does it work? Anyone used it?

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
Old 26-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to dash your hopes but that cooler is almost as big as a shuttle. I can't see that ever going in unless you cut a ******* great big hole in the side.
Here's the press release for it which gives the dimensions. Looks like the height of it is over 5cm. Somehow doubt there's that much clearance.

TBH a shuttle isn't really an ideal media centre case. Cooling is always going to be an issue.

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 26-10-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

The case works really well as a media center as it has smart fans and also the cpu i have used runs cooler than a regular amd.

The only issue seems to be that for some reason the fan on the card is going mental for no reason. The temp on the card is at the bottom of the ati temp guage and it's only beign used to display HD output so no games at all.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Which Shuttle? A lot of the older ones had the PCI-E slot on as the outer slot, if that's the case then you can only use single slot coolers which would mean there is no upgrade option.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

It's a IDEQ so not a shuttle but shuttle style

As you can see theres a pci slot next to the AGP which i don't use
Old 27-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

PCI slot is on the wrong side, hate to say it mate but your ******.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 27-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oooo bugger busters
Old 27-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

http://www.awd-it.co.uk/scripts/prod...idproduct=4170

This looks promising need to messure when i get home
Old 27-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Platinum

Tentacle

Defiantly wont fit, that with fans takes up 3 slots, you dont have any free

Old 27-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Defiantly wont fit, that with fans takes up 3 slots, you dont have any free
I don't need fans tho do i? as i won't be playign games at all
Old 27-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Platinum

Tentacle

You will still need a fan on there for that GPU, even without the fan it wont fit mate.

Old 27-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You will still need a fan on there for that GPU, even without the fan it wont fit mate.
Quote:
To provide passive cooling for high-end graphic cards, Accelero S1 Rev. 2 is a high performance passive cooler featuring 4 heatpipes connected with extra large surface area. It effectively removes a great deal of heat from the graphic cards keeping the components cool. Thanks to the elegant design, Accelero S1 Rev. 2 outperforms active cooling solutions. Accelero S1 Rev. 2 creates a true industry leading zero noise cooling solution for all enthusiast gamers.

Whether or not it fits as it is, is another matter...
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Platinum

Tentacle

Yes you can passive cool it, in a chassis with good airflow, oBladeo's doesn't have good airflow and therefore its not recommended to run that card passive.

Old 27-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Yes you can passive cool it, in a chassis with good airflow, oBladeo's doesn't have good airflow and therefore its not recommended to run that card passive.
I has great airflow The cpu fan is smart as well as the case fan. Also both sides of the case haves loads of holes (thats where the air is sucked in from)

I think i'm going for the s1. I will have to slightly mod the case to fit the hight in tho but thats why i bought a dremal for

i checked the other out and it didn't have a chance of fitting without modding the external case
Old 17-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

A bit of time and a bit of dremel and sorted