GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 23-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Milky

Antlion

Milky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud of
Anti-Piracy News

Joint raids by police in Belgium and Switzerland have shut down a popular file-sharing server.
The Razorback2 server was part of the Edonkey file-sharing network and was used by a third of the system's users.

The server held an index of 170 million pirated files, said the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

In the raids, the server's Swiss owner was arrested and the Razorback2 machines were seized from a Brussels-based hosting firm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4743052.stm

--------------------------------

FCK ME... 170 Million!

WE GOT TEH 1!!!!!!!! VAAAUUUNNNTTTT!!!!!!
Milky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
the numbers of people on the Edonkey network was back to normal a few hours after the server was shut down.
Well that was worth the effort then. [/sarcasm]
Old 23-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
All this effort and money there putting in on piracy crackdowns, dont they realsie all they need to do is stop ripping us off for films/music/games and then more people will buy the stuff.
Obviosly theres still gonna be people out there that will pirate everything just because they can and like to brag to there mates but what can you do?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Milky

Antlion

Milky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud ofMilky has much to be proud of
I think that article says it all...

Once one network gets shutdown, another starts, and people move across.. CLASSIC case of the century was Napster.. how many moved to other P2P programs, Usenets etc.

Once the corporations realise that it's down to the ridiculous price they are charging for software, and change their attitude, they will NOT see a change.

At the moment they are quite happily spending the millions and millions of money trying to stop these, when in fact, they could be quite usefully pouring it back into the businesses and stopping f***ups like those in BF2 from happening in the first place.

Old 23-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Indeed, They prolly spend more trying to stop piracy than they loose from it.
Bizzare they way they work :/

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 23-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Milky

Antlion

Speak of the devil...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2207229.stm

Old 23-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Still not enough though. 10% only brings a game down to 32 for a premium title.
It is amazing what reasonable pricing can do though. Just recently I've bought Quake 4, Stubbs the Zombie and I'm waiting for Crashday to be delivered. Only because play.com have sensible prices. Hell, 18 I won't even think about. 30 I'll think for long enough to realise that I probably don't want it that much.
Old 23-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks
Still not enough though. 10% only brings a game down to 32 for a premium title.
It is amazing what reasonable pricing can do though. Just recently I've bought Quake 4, Stubbs the Zombie and I'm waiting for Crashday to be delivered. Only because play.com have sensible prices. Hell, 18 I won't even think about. 30 I'll think for long enough to realise that I probably don't want it that much.
You win! 1 (one) internet will be delivered to you directly! Congratulations!

Seriously though, so true. Sub 20 a game is quality, I loved the Platinum series on the PS2 (and PS1) just for their perfect price point and the fact that they were quality games. Hell I even bought two copies of Tekken Tag because my original got scratched to hell and at 20 for the game in the Platinum series why **** about? Until we see those kinda prices in places like Game for new and big name games, things will continue the same way imo.
Old 23-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Sty1es

Barnacle

Sty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura aboutSty1es has a spectacular aura about
music and movies are still are rip off though. i dont even thing people will stop downloading music as u have an album or 2 b4 u wod even get to the shops. dvds r v high in price and the cinema is just bs. its 7.80 to watch a film at cineworld where i live + something like 5.50 for large popcore and coke :/
#Tainted-Beef on QNet
All Welcome
click my link and it WILL make u smile
Sty1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #10
^SwITcH^

Combine Soldier

^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough
What the MPAA and other organisations seem to be overlooking is that people have been pirating stuff for years. I can remember getting copied Commodore 64 and Amiga games back in the day ... as well as VHS versions of movies recorded in cinemas (Jurrasic Park being one that springs to mind).

I think the only reason they are trying to crack down is because it's become so mainstream - with greater awareness of P2P and alike (mostly thanks to Napster and the media hype surrounding it's shutdown), so the more non-technical users are going to be accessing it and the greater the percieved loss to thier revenue.

Whereas in the past it was all private FTP dumps, usenet etc - so that is where it will no doubt return should it become too difficult for hardcore file sharers to operate.

We are all blatently aware (most likely through personal experience) that were it not for the fact that you could access some things for free that you would never had listened to a certain band, watched a film or played a certain game - and then possibly subsequently bought it. All they see is that "oh ... someone downloaded a song - that means we have lost $$" regardless of whether they would ever have actually bought or listened to it had it not been free?!
Old 23-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Absolutely true. My CD case is full of music that I wouldn't have heard let alone bought if it wasn't for the likes of Napster (the original) and Usenet.

And isn't it amazing that despite all this money being stolen from them the sales of CDs are higher than ever and still rising. Funny that.
Old 23-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
Milky

Antlion

Very interesting topic so far.. considering moving it to General.. WP everyone for their input

Old 23-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute
damn guys, i only ended up buying quake4 cos i saw it for 12quid! (NEW!!!). i was like wtf? BUY BUY BUY
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Platinum

Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy
damn guys, i only ended up buying quake4 cos i saw it for 12quid! (NEW!!!). i was like wtf? BUY BUY BUY
Lucky sod!

Old 23-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...106215-8687038

13.99 here, now that i would happily pay for quake4 even tho im not a fan of quake
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #16
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Still only 12 quid at play.com. It was 9.99 when I bought my copy
Old 27-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
HoBo

Zombie

HoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enough
I paid pennies under 20 for Quake 4 at the weekend, BF2 was also the same price and 20 is a fair price for a game imho. I'll only ever buy games I know that I'll get a few dozen hours of playtime from (either single or multiplayer). This is a price I can stomach, the last game I spent over 30 was GT4 on the PS2. But I know I'll get 100's of hours of play out of that!

So in a nutshell I don't condone piracy, if I can't afford a game or I don't think it's good value I simply go without. I don't buy into the argument that it's OK to install software illegally because it's a "rip off", if you think a game's a rip off then go without or wait until it comes out on a budget label.

Inevitably it's not the fat cats that suffer from piracy but the consumer who ends up with poor quality product. Look at the record industry, it's devoid of much of the diversity it had 10/15 years ago simply because illegal downloading has put many INDEPENDANT labels out of business, the major labels are still making dollars chugging out bland manufactured, over-produced drivvel.
Lesson #1

n00b player = newbie; player of limited experience and therefore lacking the corresponding skills.

crap player = someone who despite hundreds of hours experience has failed to develop the corresponding skills.
HoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #18
^SwITcH^

Combine Soldier

^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough
Hobo - I think you will find that most people on here who say that they might pirate a game would only do so as a type of evaluation, as a precursor to going and buying it.

For the most part, you can't play pirated games in thier multiplayer modes due to the protections put in place by the manufacturers (and rightly so) - so therefore if people like a game and are going to actively play it online they are obviously going to buy it (as is the case with the majority of the games played by GO members).

You also have the element of games which appeared great in magazines and on demo's - but the final released versions either wern't that great, or were unplayable on anything less than the latest systems. For my - finding that out having handed over 40+ (which I can't get back because most places don't allow returns on PC games) is a bit late ...

I think the issue over independant music labels etc is perhaps a bit misleading. In an industry as cuthroat as the music business, independant music labels are always going to suffer and are unlikely to hang on to profitable artists.

I also seriously doubt that many people would pirate music from thier artists purely because they are likely to be small, under pulbicised, new groups who most people have probably never heard of (if the music is even available). In that instance I can only see that people getting to hear new bands without having to buy a single or album will only help develop thier fan base ?!?!
Old 28-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
HoBo

Zombie

HoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In an industry as cuthroat as the music business, independant music labels are always going to suffer and are unlikely to hang on to profitable artists.
I agree, when the money to be made reduces its smaller companies that suffer. That's the case in any industry, be it media-related, manufacturing or construction!

Quote:
I also seriously doubt that many people would pirate music from thier artists purely because they are likely to be small, under pulbicised, new groups who most people have probably never heard of (if the music is even available).
Quite right, I doubt anyone downloads music with the intent of forcing less well known bands back into their day jobs. However, if your on a low income a 30% income drop could be the difference between being able to pay the rent and falling into arrears, but If you're earning 6m p.a. a 30% drop means that you'll still earn 4m p.a.
Lesson #1

n00b player = newbie; player of limited experience and therefore lacking the corresponding skills.

crap player = someone who despite hundreds of hours experience has failed to develop the corresponding skills.
Old 28-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #20
HoBo

Zombie

P.S. Sorry to be pedantic.
Lesson #1