GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Off Topic Discussions

Off Topic Discussions For something that doesn't fit in any other category

Old 20-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute
Vivariums/Aquariums/Paludariums...

Do any of you lot have fish/reptiles?

I know one or two have snakes and lizards.

But im looking into getting a setup for some crabs.

Wondered if anyone has experience of setting up the habitats?
Old 20-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vivariums/Aquariums/Paludariums...

Chesterfield. 4 pack of VK. Should be able to set up many environments for crabs.

(Serious: I'll ask Foxy to swing by this convo, she knows about them)
Old 20-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
im looking into getting a setup for some crabs.
Bottom of Rutland Road should be able to sort you out with that
Old 20-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Mrs Rasher

Hopper Mine
Administrator

Mrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud of

The replies to this post are far too amuzing. To be fair Az - what did you expect with a question like that?
Old 20-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all

plat said you already gave him crabs....
Old 21-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

I've done a fair bit of research into habitats of fish etc as a tropical tank was something Dawson and I looked into, but also had a cold water tank running for 12 years or so when I was younger - I also want frogs, but that's a different story. :P

What kinda crabs are you looking into? I'm gonna take a guess at the new "vampire" purple ones that are making a sudden splurge onto the market? :P
Old 21-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

I've got no experience with crabs, of either kind.
I'm part way through setting up a bio-active vivarium for a trio of Crested Geckos right now and Tokay Geckos in a month.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads...bstrate.58782/

Might be of help though.

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 21-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
What kinda crabs are you looking into? I'm gonna take a guess at the new "vampire" purple ones that are making a sudden splurge onto the market? :P
Spot on. Been looking at them for a while, along with frogs too as it happens.

But as there has been a bit of a boost to the market, I think now is the time to take the plunge.

Got a few idea for the tank knocking around, will post pics as it progresses if we do go for them.
Old 22-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Spot on. Been looking at them for a while, along with frogs too as it happens.

But as there has been a bit of a boost to the market, I think now is the time to take the plunge.

Got a few idea for the tank knocking around, will post pics as it progresses if we do go for them.
Aye, thought that might be the one - the boost in the market is an understatement though They were put on Facebook and it's gone INSANE. That's not a good thing though as so many people are gonna buy them and not give them the proper care - it'll be the bearded dragon of the crab/aqua world.

Let me know how it goes though; size tank you going for? Gonna be getting a collection of them or just one and fish? A ten gallon tank is usually the starting point - as always with animals though, the bigger the better. I'd love to get an aquarium set up but I think we're looking to move again within a few months so it'd be a pain to shift them - having the two snakes is gonna be a nightmare as it is.

You chosen on any specific species or just the panther crabs?
Old 22-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

We have a 55gal empty tank, was a major score from freecycle. lol.

Its been sat empty for ages and we have been wondering what to put in it.

This seemed the easiest, and cheaper option.

Just got to built the interior walls for the land/water split.

Dont think I will put any fish in with the crabs though. Looking at about 4 I think, still got lots of research to do on their care etc.
Old 23-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

Quote:
We have a 55gal empty tank, was a major score from freecycle. lol.

Its been sat empty for ages and we have been wondering what to put in it.

This seemed the easiest, and cheaper option.

Just got to built the interior walls for the land/water split.

Dont think I will put any fish in with the crabs though. Looking at about 4 I think, still got lots of research to do on their care etc.
Oh nice, 55 gallon will get you quite a bit in there! I read that something like 4 crabs can go comfortably in a 10 gallon so in a 55 you could really experiment.

Fish can pain in the ass but something like shrimp or plec could be a good go-to for an alternative so that there's something swimming about rather than all lower based? Just throwing ideas out there.

Will you be going for an underwater waterfall feature? That's my big project when we get sorted for moving etc. Frogs with a waterfall - or a lizard, can't decide.
Old 24-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

Its all up in the air right now. I have some plans sketched out.

2 or 3 different designs.

Might go for a little deeper water and have some shrimp I think, or maybe even a lobster, lol.

No idea if thats even possible with the crabs though, like I said, lots of research to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
Oh nice, 55 gallon will get you quite a bit in there! I read that something like 4 crabs can go comfortably in a 10 gallon so in a 55 you could really experiment.

Fish can pain in the ass but something like shrimp or plec could be a good go-to for an alternative so that there's something swimming about rather than all lower based? Just throwing ideas out there.

Will you be going for an underwater waterfall feature? That's my big project when we get sorted for moving etc. Frogs with a waterfall - or a lizard, can't decide.
Old 24-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

I assume these are salt water dwelling creatures? If so it opens up an abundance of possibilities, however it is more time intensive to maintain the correct environment. Look forward to seeing some piccys.

EDIT: There fresh water, just had a quick look after posting. Interesting, you could consider cray fish? (the native version, not the american)

Last edited by fazer; 24-03-2015 at 01:56 PM.