GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 30-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of
AGP HD Ready Cards?

Hi
I'm having problems as my good old trusty ati 9500 does not support DXVA which is bad as i need to enable this for xbmc playback and also i want to add a bluray player to the box later.

Another thing is the box is an AGP box so i'm wondering what is the best card to get?

I've been looking at the ATi HD 4650 AGP as it's a single slot card and should fit in my shuttle box. Are they any good? Is there a better one?

Do you know what would be the best nVidia agp card to buy? Has to be single slot tho
Old 30-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough
Re: AGP HD Ready Cards?

i didnt even know they still made agp cards, you might find no one knows much bout em since pci-e is used as the standard of today.
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oBladeo View Post
Hi
I'm having problems as my good old trusty ati 9500 does not support DXVA which is bad as i need to enable this for xbmc playback and also i want to add a bluray player to the box later.

Another thing is the box is an AGP box so i'm wondering what is the best card to get?

I've been looking at the ATi HD 4650 AGP as it's a single slot card and should fit in my shuttle box. Are they any good? Is there a better one?

Do you know what would be the best nVidia agp card to buy? Has to be single slot tho
AFAIK For general playback, any standalone AGP card that has HD support, will play HD content back without issues.
Old 31-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if its any good, but its got HDMI out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169945
Old 31-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
Dunno if its any good, but its got HDMI out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169945
Thanks but it's for a shuttle media center so the card can't be the same size as a truck lol
Old 31-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

If its for movie playback, the ATI 3850 outperforms the 4600 range in almost all aspects, and you can pick them up for around the same price.

Not sure in terms of nvidia, think they dropped AGP support after the 9600 range.
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Thanks i've just bought one
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Well the amazon trader has just canceled my order as he said he has non it stock (yea right he was selling em for 20 less than anywhere else i could find)

I'm glad tbh as that card drinks power (needs 2 x molex)

So looks like i'm buying the Sapphire HD 4650 AGP again as it's less power hungry on my little ideq
Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

3850 is slightly less wattage at idle but slightly more at full load, theres not that much between the cards power consumption wise tbh, just draws from two molex's to save on stressing a single rail

Either way both cards are more than enough for what your doing, overkill really lol, have fun
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

hummm will my 250 watt psu handle this hummmm

I have a 9500 running in it atm so..... hummmm

Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Cant say for IDEQ's, but Shuttle PSU's certainly could handle a lot more than there watt rating suggested, the 200w Silent PSU's were workhorses and easily ran things way above what they should have been capable. Id expect you will be fine, your never going to be hitting anywhere near load on a media system anyway.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Cool i'll get it on order tomorrow (thats when ebay gives me some $)

Also got to get another 1.5tb hd as i've just filled one

1347 movies
1689 tv shows

and i'm not even 1/2 way through my dvd movie collection

My AMD 64 3700+ is lost in the post somewhere too

also i'm loving the new Ellipsis skin. Can't wait for the full release
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Just bought it just hope it works

just hope this and the cpu turns up now :s
Old 15-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Got the card and fitted it last night and it works perfect and it's sped xbmc up so much.

thanks for the tip on which one to get