GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 19-12-2002, 05:37 AM   #1
Fishwick
Forum Volunteer

Location: Dance your cares away, worry's for another day. Let the music play, Down at Fraggle Rock!
Fishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished road
AOL tightens grip on IM services

this www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/1558671 could herald the biggest shake-up in instant mesaging services since they began.

AOL have just managed to gain the patent on several instant messaging technologys, including, perhaps most importantly, "presence" to explain that....

"the ability to tell users' availability, since each member's identification code alerts the system when they log on, which, in turn, provides availability information to other users.

Additionally, the patent protects what are commonly known as Buddy Lists, described in the patent as "a predefined list of users whose connection status the user wishes to know."

now obviously these 2 things are the very core of IM, but they have managed to secure the patents, because AOL bought out Mirabilis a few years ago and all their intellectual property (Mirabilis wrote and released the first IM service, ICQ, all them years ago)

Although AOL is "likely to seek some form of licensing revenue from its rivals instead of filing lawsuits outright" , i wonder how the smaller companys that make IM software are going to cope, http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ springs instantly to mind as a company unlikely to survive this shakeup, Especially considering their legal action with AOL has been ongoing for some time as it is.

But time will tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

posted as news, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the situation really, on first glance, its easy to dismiss, but with the technologys they patented, i think it could have MASSIVE implications on instant messaging now, and in the future, and not just on the PC.....

wot does everyone/anyone think??
Fishwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 09:06 AM   #2
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
It could do a few things.

It could force some hardcore networks underground like in the old days.

There will probably always be IRC.

I tend to stear clear of the IM's because they aren't very good for managing large numbers of people. I used to use ICQ a lot when i played online but i've not had it installed for well over 18 months.

MSN is a joke and so is AIM tbh but thats my personal opinion. From a program designer/technology developer point of view. They are very good for people getting into the online world tho and prove to be popular and easy enough to use.

Back to the patenting tho... I doubt it will have any MASSIVE impact because other developers will find ways around it and develop other avenues, maybe an even better way of achieving what MSN or AIM do.

It could push the technology forward... and not make it into a monopoly.

As you have said "oh mighty wise one" fish... time will tell

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
IRC is the more powerful of the chat type network I use but also the harest to setup correctly. I like IM software due to ease and the fact I already have a hotmail address so I have always had IM.

Should be interesting to see the out come as we go into 2003
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
i currently keep in contact with my brother on his Danger phone using AOL Instant Messenger
but i can't wait for the OpenGL phones to come out, thats my next phone upgrade
Old 19-12-2002, 01:51 PM   #5
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute
peer 2 peer are technily illegal, they been trying to shut them down for years.....
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
i dont realy have have anything constrctive to say other then aol should die :/ im sure most people agree
Old 19-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
g^

Fast Zombie

g^ is an unknown quantity at this pointg^ is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah there's gonna be problems, do feel sorry for some fo the smaller companies. Not content with being a shit ISP AOL goes one further.

But as already been said, there's always other programs and ways to chat. But it's just inconvenience of trying to get everyone on one particular piece of software.

Nvm :/
Old 20-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #8
Fishwick
Forum Volunteer

Location: Dance your cares away, worry's for another day. Let the music play, Down at Fraggle Rock!
Fishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished roadFishwick is on a distinguished road
thats where trillian was very handy, as it integrated all of the different chat mediums, IM's and IRC,

but as they use all the diff IM networks , then they will no doubt get charged a fortune, unlkess AOL want to shut them down completly (they been slugging out for a long time now)

im sure other IM software will get round it some how, but working a diff way to do a buddy list of "presense" is gona be tricky.

the only good thing is that i imagine ICQ will remain intact and untouched, as AOL own it... and most of the longer term net users use ICQ anyway rather then the newer alternatives
Fishwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Lonts1956

Scanner

Lonts1956 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: AOL tightens grip on IM services

thanks for this help
Lonts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all
Re: AOL tightens grip on IM services

oh wow fishwick thats a blast from passed