GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
ID cards = fail

But then you knew that anyway...

Quote:
The first UK ID cards have already been issued - but no UK police officers or border guards have any way of reading the data stored on them.

Currently no police stations, border entry points or job centres have readers for the card's biometric chip, the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) revealed in response to an FoI (Freedom of Information) request by silicon.com about the Ģ4.7bn identity cards scheme.

The news comes in spite of the first ID cards being issued to foreign nationals in November last year, with the IPS expecting to issue 50,000 ID cards by April this year.
http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/...9391135,00.htm
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ID cards = fail

they shouldve given me the 4.7bn.

I wouldve given them something that works.

a handgun.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
humptydumpty

Scanner

humptydumpty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thatīs ridiculous - all of that money and they donīt work?? I agree.. they should have given the money to you and then maybe you could have made something that works!!! This must be someonesī fault then? I hate the fact that so much money is spent and itīs all ruined because of one personsī mistake. GEES!
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is that the cards will almost certainly end up being compulsory yet we will have to pay for them (currently estimated at around Ģ30 each) on top of the 4.7 billion quid we've already paid.

That's 4700000000 pounds guys. That's nearly 80 quid ALREADY paid by EVERY person in the UK for a system that only the government want and that doesn't even work because they've left it up to individual authorities whether they use even more of OUR money to buy the equipment needed to read them.

It's an absolute farce. I really don't know why we let them get away with it. In a society with bigger balls they would have all been lined up against a wall and shot years ago, but this is Britain and we've all bought the lie that we don't do that sort of thing. Well we used to. History is full of examples where the British public refused to be abused like this.

If our society had half the guts that our ancestors had England would be a very different place.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Please can someone get rid of this government...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7877182.stm

Quote:
The government is compiling a database to track and store the international travel records of millions of Britons.

Computerised records of all 250 million journeys made by individuals in and out of the UK each year will be kept for up to 10 years.

The government says the database is essential in the fight against crime, illegal immigration and terrorism.
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

its been said before

9/11 was the excuse this country's government needed to erode civil liberties in the name of anti-terror.

has no-one ever thought that real terrorists are not going to use correct details or even the same documentation twice?

i mean the whole ID creation scheme is so flawed with holes, that creating alternate identifications is no trouble at all, let alone inexpensive.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Yevgeny Zamyatin was right.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough

ID cards may come here too and in the end of the day, other than the cost which is absolutely ridiculous, I can't see my liberties being taken away nor do I think I will ever have a problem with it, so I have no reason to whine.

I've tried having conversation with 3 people about this and none of them could come up with any rational explanation against them, just some irrational pyschotic fear that they are going to end up in trouble.

I would like to hear some decent points against for once, I honestly mean that.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

To be honest, with electronic money (which pays for food, consumer goods, bills), tax and the ISP's knowledge of your internet use, the government already knows what you do, what you buy and where you've been.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough

Not to mention people on facebook divulging to much information.

I frequent other forums and every few months you get the internet-dective members who managed to find out where people work, live, who their friends are, etc.

All though website ownership lookups, email address, social networking sites, telephone numbers on said sites.
I bet you most of them are against ID cards but fail at even protecting themselves.

People often say; " But I don't want random people knowing my information "
What information and frankly, if someone wants to get this information so badly they'd have done it already, ID cards or not.

I bet I could find out where one of you guys live given enough time, I'm just not obsessive and weird enough to try ;D

Last edited by cloud_ds; 11-02-2009 at 05:12 PM.
cloud_ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Snoozer
Banned

Luckily I keep Facebook on the most private of settings. I culled about 150 'friends' and only have genuine friends / family. People can have my email address, it's basically a spam catcher.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
Colio

Garg

i dont use faceache or other social networking sites for precisely those reasons.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

How many foil hats do you own?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
Colio

Garg

just the one,

its made of military grade bacofoil just to be sure.