GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 20-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of
Forum Changes and Banner Plee (Ongoing)

As im sure some have noticed today, some parts of the forum have altered, the Side Bar has been stripped out completely, and the corner peeler has been removed.

This is the start of a project to revamp the forums completely and bring them inline with the new website we brought in this last year, the thoughts and theme being clean and simple and non intrusive.

On the lines of non intrusive, advertisements and banners and plugins (corner peeler) on the site have been a source of discussion ever since we introduced them. Some were for and some were against, some have gone as far as adblocking the sites banners completely, and both stats and income show this.

As im sure the majority of you know GameOn is very much funded from the pockets of the owners, and the only source of site income is the banners shown. As part of an initiative to convince users to disable adblockers, weve already started to remove and rethink addons and banners used on the live forums.

Basically, im making a plee for you to add an exception for GameOn in your adblock software, in order to support GameOn and make the upkeep of the site less of a concern for the considerable future.

Im also asking those that don't want to add an exception for whatever reason, is there any solvable reason why? as in is there something we could do to make your time on the site more pleasant with ads enabled, and no removing them is not an option

Any feedback and discussion on this would be most helpful, thank you.

Last edited by Ex0dUs; 20-04-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of
Re: Forum Changes and Banner Plee (Ongoing)

Personally I think that if people cant put up with a few ads on this one site then they are a little silly. I can understand why people don't like ad's don't get me wrong but many if not most people know how this site is kept afloat, through personal cash mostly.

All of us get so much from this site, its well maintained, has a great community, Great coverage on upcoming games and such. Is putting up with a few ads really such a big ask?
Old 20-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest until I had read this thread, I never noticed the ad's were gone. They got in the way for a couple of days then I stopped noticing them altogether.

The way it was wasn't exactly excessive or intrusive I don't think, just took a couple days getting used to.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

The ads never bothered me tbh and often provided a source of amusement such as the pig with tits.
The only thing I found intrusive was the peeler for the magazine. Most pleased that's gone.
Old 21-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute

only issue ive had was the peely thing.

and again i didnt notice that some of the ads where gone.
=]
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

the new layout style forums is looking REALLY nice
should be ready this week,

Really nice work ex0, man, its looking fab so far
(if anyone wants a peek we do have a live demo running on the live forums)
just MSN me

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
only issue ive had was the peely thing.

and again i didnt notice that some of the ads where gone.
=]
^^My thoughts exactly.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Benneb

Poisonous Zombie

Benneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of light

I hadnt even noticed they were gone.

If people want to block the ads then cant you block the forums for them? After all, they are not 'paying' their way.
Benneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
mole

Human Grunt

mole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura about

I'm happy for banners, as with Betty happy the peeler is gone.

Please just never introduce ad words. I like to drag my cursor along the text as I read it; so I'm for every hitting pop ups on the likes of Hexus.

I've never blocked adds anywhere and I'm most likely not going to start
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Jamz

Antlion

Jamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see the peeler has gone, not particuarly bothered about the ads, esp as they are smaller than some peoples 'ZOMG LOOK AT THE GAMES IVE BEEN PLAYING AND LOOK AT ALL THE SUPER ACHIEVEMENTS I HAVE!!!!' sigs...
Old 21-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz (rupert) View Post
Good to see the peeler has gone, not particuarly bothered about the ads, esp as they are smaller than some peoples 'ZOMG LOOK AT THE GAMES IVE BEEN PLAYING AND LOOK AT ALL THE SUPER ACHIEVEMENTS I HAVE!!!!' sigs...
Yea I really hate them...

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

Thank you for all the feedback.

That the majority of you have said that you haven't even noticed we've removed the ads is very useful, it was obviously wasted real estate on screen and not doing anything to help GameOn or the experience users have here. Rethinking it and taking a different approach for the new look is certainly the right decision no doubt.

Knew that the corner peeler was an issue for a lot of people, its annoyed me sometimes to

Really appreciate the input on this, thank you to all.
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote