GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > First Person Shooter > Half-Life

Half-Life Talk about Half-Life; Half-Life 2; Steam & any of its Mods.

Old 27-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
Half-life vs half-life 2 aka is half life 2 a fitting sequel? [spoilers]

Sequels are hard to 'get right'. In a lot of respect you have to redublicate what happened in the first film / game, to keep the same idea concepts and feel flowing.

Other times a bold step in a another direction is needed......

Half life to me, was a disaster movie, one of which you were the star, events evolved and enfolded due to Gordon getting from A to B.

But what I liked was the Psioden adventure feel to it all....

You had this big arse complex, and you had to use the air ducts, the burning exhausts pipes of boilers, catching the updrift of giant fans, jumping into the hearts of machine and dodge their internal crushing thingies, just to get from A to B.

That's what was cool, you had to think on your feet, and start to pull the map apart to find your route. "Now if I jump to that set of ppping there, I might have lowered my overall position so I can fall onto that ledge without too much damage, then if I can get accross that beam and onto that other bit of piping"...crazy as it allways seamed, it would work, and you'd look back over your journey with a sense of pride.

But then there were the bad guys......creative, always made their prensence felt, then would chase you at you had to chase them. Soldiers, what a pain....

Main bad guys........... ah come on this was the coolest bit of Half life.
Big MF aliens that where invincible, and you had to turn run a test fire on a rocket motor on what, whilst stealthing your way past.

Turn on those electric rail tracks, with lots of mini-missions to accomplish these things, and amazingly you'd meet a couple of these things again to 'sneak past' later on.

Then there was that snark queen thing........wow, hard core biatch......bee-hive monsters.

Xen, now that a bugger.

But the game felt HUGE and annoyingly clastraphobic at times.

but enough of HL1.

Let's move onto HL2
The maps were pretty darn layed out intuiatively. If you went the wrong way, you knew about it in 2 seconds, and corrected yourself.
Sometimes I wound up completing some missions without even knowing I was on one,I just knew I was being herded somewhere to do something.
In a fire fight that was nice, but other times, it felt a bit lame.
I liked the gheto feeling of the first chunk of the game,
but the driving and the boat sections, despite being fun, and giving that breath of fresh air that HL-1 REALLY needed, sort of also detracted away from crawling through the crumbing ruins of the black mesa facility of the first.

The bridge.............now this is more like it, this is 'so' half life.

The prison, and the antlions, fun, quite half life-ish, soldiers chequered tiles on the floor, a facility kind of feel.

But the soldiers....come on....In all those tests of showing how smart they were, I never got the chance to see them act smartly. I never had a 'run and chase' of a pack of soldier, hiding and ducking, trying to take them down as they flank and pin down....I saw the E3 demo's where was that????

Big arse monsters that you can't take down...........Striders......Gunships......that's it????
And all you have to do is wait for the appropriate map and the 'given' amunition to take them out.
No trying to turn on some power lines in the streets and trying to get them to walk into them???

No snowspeader harpoon thing going on????

That plaza was the best bit of the whole game, that and the tower block of troops and striders.

Half Life for me was appropriately named because that's roughly how much health you had, about 50% health and 12% hev power.
You played constant, and I mean constant duck and cover, hide and seak, because you couldn't stand up and fight.

But in HL2, you were constantly stocked up on ammo, and health, and the only time you get placed in a health or weapon dangerous situation was either scripted or you needed to have more surviving squad members, or you tried tackling this map in the wrong set of sequenced events the developers wanted you to play in.

Even at the end, my friend just happed to pop by as I breached the Citadel, and quickly we got to grips the the super powered HEV suit....what a cheat.....and the super powered Grav gun.
Now he got all sort of freaked when he saw that strider and the hordes of bad guys, and I justthought, f'ck it, grab some of those people carriers,toss them at the guards,and the strider hmmm not enough oommf, okay lets charge the strider and hit it with the grav gun..........cool that worked, fall down here, wait for the next level to load,
and all the time my mate is taking the piss as I'm all have beat up,I laugh and said,there's a recharge module on the wall behind me when I land, and there was.
What was challenging about that.

End bad guy??? wtf???
Take a beating, or in my opinion, a timed response is required to hit that thing in the middle, which I did,
and my mate was sat there saying,that was too easy.
Old 17-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
Okay I got this on my system, and decided to give it a bash on 'hard'.

for one,

I'm loving the larger than life environments and the almost zero loading times.

But one thing that has blown me away is how small the game is.

It's tiny.

You spend whole minutes running round the bad ai, (it only gets real tricky when the map has been designed to keep you pinned down)

but it's shocking how 'simple' this game is, even on hard.

The puzzles easy, the situations are exeptionally straight forward, they require hardly any thinking time.

I remember getting anywhere in this game took me an age, like hours of hard slog, now it's minutes of light fun.

The game is still huge,
but I feel like it's lacking the dynamicism of the sequel now. Kind of scary how this 'used' to be huge in my memory.
but now is tiny.
Old 17-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough
People are too used to end bosses it seems.
Have you given the thought that there may not be enough bosses to go around for the story they have already most likely 99% wrote.

Breen, was that his name? He was a boss in himself, a bad guy (or good depending where you come from, he made a deal to stop them for destroying everything)

I like the way they don't spil everything at once, some people are impatient and need answers now, wheres the fun in that. The mystery, the question that surround it.

If I could change anything about the ending, I would'nt.
Yt left me with, woah...what the hell is going to happen next, who are these aliens, what do they want, WHO IS GMAN?

Not, omgwtfpwnuber11!!one I beat the end boss in 30secs with the crowbar, e*****++ lol1.

I hope the thid installment or add-on or whatever does'nt finish the story off, they have alot to play with, I hope they use it