GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #41
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GameOn Launches Its own FREE online Gaming Magazine

Being a little critical yes but just airing my views in how I think GO can get more people to lans and get more made.
As for the mag its done very well and may well provide a lot of exposure for the site, Im just not overly sure it will prove a big hit and get more users in.
Time will tell though and for once I hope I am wrong, would hate to see GO fade away as I have had many a good time at Lans and to have good times at larger lans in the future.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #42
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
so out of interest
how many of you have either Internet phones / PDAs even PSPs
I do, and I have an unlimited internet package.

One thing I'd like to see (not wishing to derail this thread but) is a more PDA friendly version of the forum. IE on my phone tries to render it in a way that doesn't require lots of horizontal scrolling but it doesn't do it all that well.
An alternative layout based on the browser being used would make accessing the forums from my phone much easier.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #43
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddAussie View Post
So you are saying that people renting gameservers off of GO wont make money? and wont bring clans to LANS???
yes and no
i can name you 20 LARGE companies who have put a lot of research and money in to game servers, and not one of them is still running today
even the likes of 4U and 4k servers who was one of the biggest about 3 years back (and i mean big) they are no longer trading.

we are planning on selling game servers but we have done all this in the past
we need things on the site to keep people interested in us and this is one of the many things to help that
HOW CAN THAT BE A BAD THING

no point in bringing in new users if we cant keep them, that's been proven already

but once again, this isn't a topic about Game servers its about a mag
If you want to talk about game servers, new topic or talk to me direct

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #44
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Being a little critical yes but just airing my views in how I think GO can get more people to lans and get more made.
As for the mag its done very well and may well provide a lot of exposure for the site, Im just not overly sure it will prove a big hit and get more users in.
Time will tell though and for once I hope I am wrong, would hate to see GO fade away as I have had many a good time at Lans and to have good times at larger lans in the future.
we are doing nothing but just keep building on what we are doing (see previous post)
one way or another this is going to bring in new users, i can not see that being a bad thing if its 20 or 20'000 new users.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #45
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
come on people, thats a bloody large horse your riding, think some of you need to get off it.
I'll have you know that's not just any old large horse... it's The Big Horse
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #46
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
I do, and I have an unlimited internet package.

One thing I'd like to see (not wishing to derail this thread but) is a more PDA friendly version of the forum. IE on my phone tries to render it in a way that doesn't require lots of horizontal scrolling but it doesn't do it all that well.
An alternative layout based on the browser being used would make accessing the forums from my phone much easier.

We are currently working on some really good ideas with PDA
but the site has supported this for about 3 years now m8
You can find the PDA version here

i was having some talks a about 4 months back with a user
and were looking at bringing in PDA.gameon or something on that lines
then that will be a portal to all the areas
but we couldn't do this until the site was up as seemed pointless having a half baked system where say, you can use PDA on forums but not on the GO site

Were hoping to be fully up and running PDA friendly within about 2 months
even working on auto script to pick up PDAs and send you to the correct site

one of the biggest things we are lacking is CODERs to do this
ONCE again, something like the mag will give us more exposure to new users and maybe some new coders, we can hope

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #47
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
we are doing nothing but just keep building on what we are doing (see previous post)
one way or another this is going to bring in new users, i can not see that being a bad thing if its 20 or 20'000 new users.
I guess its just the way people see things from the outside, There hasnt been a big lan in what 2 years and number seem to be dropping, Yes this lans packed but thats a one off, We all try to offer suggestions but sometimes its like banging our heads against a brick wall .
A few new people have come in granted but will it bring back the GO glory days?, I hope so but I cant see it at the moment.
I know the reply this post will get and im not fussed tbh This is just my opinion and I know its felt by a lot of other regs, it just pains me to see GO go from a 150 player a lan event to what it is now, People offer suggestions on how to get the numbers back up and we get the same replys.

Perhaps this thread should be split, its derailing fast.
A lot of hard work has gone into the mag, I dont want to have this thread bring down the work thats gone into it.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #48
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all

Quote:
Well, we did want to push the fact we have a very active and busy community, showing what the community can put in the mag makes it much more interactive
We can hope that more people will get involved in these smaller side line community site of things
Deffo a good idea to include 'community' stuff, just thought that it could have gone back in the mag quite a bit - I was a bit miffed to see it take precedent over games.

Quote:
(lol @ WoW)
We to be fair we have put some of the lower score games in
but this is an 1st issue, so come on, how silly would it of been to put in a load of "non heard of games" or crap games
Wouldn't really encourage people to read the mag or read next issue
Again understood, and wasn't suggesting that you load the mag with crap games, but most games mags have a page or two near the back with a few real poor effort games from some random khazakstanian developers that are usually quite fun to read.

Few random ideas/ramblings.....

Not sure if its in the scope of things you are looking to do, but would also be good to see hardware reviews & benchmarks etc (new graphics cards, memory, mice, cases etc etc).

Maybe run a tip/mod of the month type thing like some mags do.
Users can submit a tip into a private forum where you can only see your own post (windows tweak, game config, some sort of 'tutorial' for a piece of software etc) or a mod (case mod, hardware mod like cooling/voltmodding etc) and the best gets a small feature in the mag and a half hour head voucher from plat.

Include some non-review stuff, like previously mentioned software tutorials that are semi game related.... example: how to create a transparent spray for CS/TF2/HL2, or how to overclock your machine.

Got a load of ideas but work beckons

Really enjoyed reading the mag btw, these are just ideas/feedback - not belittling anyones work at all
L33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #49
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all

Quote:
how many of you have either Internet phones / PDAs even PSPs
Good idea, just tried to read the mag on my phone but it rendered all over the place (n95 8gb, latest firmware & pdf viewer).

EDIT: the larger one rendered quite a bit better, but took a while to download even on 3.6Mbps HSDPA
Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #50
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
I guess its just the way people see things from the outside, There hasnt been a big lan in what 2 years and number seem to be dropping, Yes this lans packed but thats a one off, We all try to offer suggestions but sometimes its like banging our heads against a brick wall .
A few new people have come in granted but will it bring back the GO glory days?, I hope so but I cant see it at the moment.
I know the reply this post will get and im not fussed tbh This is just my opinion and I know its felt by a lot of other regs, it just pains me to see GO go from a 150 player a lan event to what it is now, People offer suggestions on how to get the numbers back up and we get the same replys.
once again m8, this isnt about LANs or game servers
we said last year we was putting LANs on hold till we could get the site up to standard where we was happy it would keep new users in and were almost there

Would also like to add, we are one of the very few LAN company's that still have survived, we have been trading for 10 years now and most LAN companies don't last 2 years.

Quote:
Perhaps this thread should be split, its derailing fast.
A lot of hard work has gone into the mag, I dont want to have this thread bring down the work thats gone into it.
This is what i keep replying , people arnt just criticising the mag they bring up topics which are NOT relevant to the post, which is about GameOns NEW FREE gaming magazine

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #51
Platinum

Tentacle

Can the thread be split then to keep the discussions seperate?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #52
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33 View Post
Deffo a good idea to include 'community' stuff, just thought that it could have gone back in the mag quite a bit - I was a bit miffed to see it take precedent over games.

Again understood, and wasn't suggesting that you load the mag with crap games, but most games mags have a page or two near the back with a few real poor effort games from some random khazakstanian developers that are usually quite fun to read.

Few random ideas/ramblings.....

Not sure if its in the scope of things you are looking to do, but would also be good to see hardware reviews & benchmarks etc (new graphics cards, memory, mice, cases etc etc).

Maybe run a tip/mod of the month type thing like some mags do.
Users can submit a tip into a private forum where you can only see your own post (windows tweak, game config, some sort of 'tutorial' for a piece of software etc) or a mod (case mod, hardware mod like cooling/voltmodding etc) and the best gets a small feature in the mag and a half hour head voucher from plat.

Include some non-review stuff, like previously mentioned software tutorials that are semi game related.... example: how to create a transparent spray for CS/TF2/HL2, or how to overclock your machine.

Got a load of ideas but work beckons

Really enjoyed reading the mag btw, these are just ideas/feedback - not belittling anyones work at all
<to all this above>

Almost everyone on the mag is in agreement with this
we are really lacking hardware people at the moment
again, we are hoping once the mag is up, we can start getting new users who can help us out with the hardware
(till someone steps forward we cant)
but if you look (or have read the new site launch) we are supporting hardware and software review/preview/etc (to match games) in the future
we just need the people to step forward to help us now.

Our game section has been getting bigger and bigger and we have build a fanatic team up now, i am sure we can do the same with hardware

tutorials etc, again were 100% with you on that
we just need people to start coming forwarding say "hay we can help"

tbh the mag has shocked us in size
we was trying to get it to 20 pages and was struggling
image our horror when we realised we hit 60 pages

On the note of PDA
i have a Trial PDA version if anyone wants to try it
just PM me on the forums for a link to download

If your up for doing some hardware, just give me a shout and i can give you posting rights to the site (or games stuff)

Nice feedback and we are listening about the bit about the photos being too close to the front of the mag (tbh this is the type of thing we really need to hear and why you think so, not OMG its not going to work)

Thanks

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #53
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Good idea, just tried to read the mag on my phone but it rendered all over the place (n95 8gb, latest firmware & pdf viewer).

EDIT: the larger one rendered quite a bit better, but took a while to download even on 3.6Mbps HSDPA
i think we can defo work out a "solution" for this
(planning on working on PDA, PSP and consoles access this weekend)

again give me a shout if you want to see the PDA version and give some feedback

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #54
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Also, review bus simulator.
well tbh
a free Curly whirly for the 1st person that writes (a decent) review for bus simulator (seriously) for our site
as i don't believe one could be written about it

(to see the joke see the mag here page) Page 58

(and how many of you have tried page 58 yet)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #55
L33

Manhack

Quote:
give me a shout if you want to see the PDA version and give some feedback
Sure send me the link over and I'll give it a go

Quote:
a free Curly whirly for the 1st person that writes (a decent) review for bus simulator (seriously) for our site
as i don't believe one could be written about it
I'll see your curly wurly and raise you a wispa for reviews of:
**MULLABFUHR SIMULATOR!!!!!!11!**

**LANDWIRTSCHAFTS SIMULATOR!!!1111**
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #56
Platinum

Tentacle

Im half tempted to have a go at reviewing them lol

Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #57
Platinum

Tentacle

Tip, Might be worth setting up a mailing list so that people can be notified when the next issue is released?, Cant see one on the site but my skills at spotting things on the GO site are really bad as you know.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #58
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Tip, Might be worth setting up a mailing list so that people can be notified when the next issue is released?, Cant see one on the site but my skills at spotting things on the GO site are really bad as you know.
Mailing list (subscribe system) has been made for the site, it was going live last night but found a small issue with it.
I have been working on that today
It will be live in about an hour just finishing off making pages for it now.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #59
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Subscribe system went live a short while ago

You can get to it on the right hand menu of the site
+ you have access to change setting in your USER CP on the GameOn Site

If you are logged in
click here
and you will see a news letter option at the bottom

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #60
L33

Manhack

Quote:
If you are logged in
click here
and you will see a news letter option at the bottom
Is it just me or does that page not work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	18095