GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Question Build recommendations please

One of Josh's friends would really like to upgrade his old pc (P4 3.0, x600) so that he can play modern games.

We're looking at a complete build. There's nothing apart from the DVD drive that can be reused from the old kit. The hard disk is tiny and the case is hideous. He's keeping his old 15" monitor though to save costs (although I have a 17" Digimate with a power supply problem I'm going to give him if I can repair it)

The only fly in the ointment is the budget. He's unemployed and on jobseekers allowance so this is going to be a save up for it kind of thing.
It needs to be the absolute minimum cost possible. We really need to know how much he's going to have to save.

What we're looking for is the best bang for the buck. He doesn't mind having to turn the graphics down a bit but he wants to be able to play current games at a reasonable frame rate.

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 11-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Build recommendations please

I would say your looking at a min 300.

As you know prices for parts change all the time so it pointless specking a pc now.
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

I guess what I'm really looking for is examples I can show him so he can decide how much he wants to save up. If we start with a minimum spec then I can show him what effect spending a bit more would have.

Thing is I'm well out of date on hardware. I only really pay attention to it when I'm planning a new build or an upgrade for myself or Josh so I've no idea what motherboards I should be looking at or which cpu.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold

I'd say AMD, ATi Midrange card, 3GB DDR2/3 if possible kit. Case needed?
Gunner002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Yes, we'll be wanting a case
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold

My input
Old 12-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Gunner002

Antlion

Just to add betty, this build I did leaves rooms for a crossfire setup, an extra 4GB of RAM, and a better AM3 quad as thats the base model. It will run most new games with ease, and when it comes to the next of stuff he has a chance at running them too.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

i managed to pick up a 2nd hand one for Luke
Dual Core system, 2 gig of ram for about 130
all i did was added a 60 graphics card and his rig plays all the latest games (all the latest games that are under 18 you understand)

I can show you some examples this weekend if you give me a shout on MSN

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

im going to be buying a new gfx card in the next couple of months, so ill have a 9600 up for adoption if interested?
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

{edit}
Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

I should say guys that this isn't a request for parts. He wants to save up and make it his as it were. Thanks all the same Flarty.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
I should say guys that this isn't a request for parts. He wants to save up and make it his as it were. Thanks all the same Flarty.
no worrys, ill have to find someone else to offload it too :P
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
(all the latest games that are under 18 you understand)
Has this not been put to bed yet?

The specs given look good, Gunner the 650 watt PSU seems a little overkill for this system but yea does leave room for expansion.
5770 from what I have read is a great card though, would defiantly recommend it, apparently it gives the performance of a GTX 260 / 4870 at a much lower power draw with the advantage of DX11.
The triple core CPU's might be worth a look, apparently with the right motherboard the 4th core can be unlocked

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote