GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Music

Music Can't get that tune out of your head? Musical dicussion in here.

Old 21-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTE┼, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
depeche mode and sounds of the universe

being an old DM fan ( whom are generally considered in good stead outside of england after they dissappointed UK critics of not dying back in 1981 when they stated they should) i got psyched about Sounds of the Universe coming out, especially since the single "wrong" was dropped on youtube and i've been listening ever since.

But ever since they lost Alan Wilder
please see this

DM has lacked it's subtle audio grace, that Alan brought to the studio (if not recreating a Martin Gore(songwriter and second vocalist) songs for example a church organ and slow tempo "enjoy silence" was recreated by Alan wilder into world wide classic song.

But the band has endured survived and remoulded itself with every album, with the help of new producers.

But whilst depeche has messed around with Bj÷rk's producer and other producers and have kept their melodies to Gore's simple tastes and just layered in Bass and reverb to keep your speakers happy, it's been an okay journey Post Alan.

But SOTU, they went back to a earlier producer to regain their "old" synth pop days,
and now Alan's Musical talents are sorely missed.
With the "new sounds" from Ultra, Exciter, playing the angel, it wasn't their to be missed (if you didn't know what you were looking for)
but now they went back to some more 80's sounding instruments,
and suddenly you are missing those complex layers of sound that resonated ontop of each other, giving seperate melodies in different directions but clanging together appropriately.
Which isn't to say SOTU isn't bad musically nor creatively, as it's sadly to say their best post Alan release to date.
They playing out tunes differently, dave is experimenting vocally, the band is mixing in 8-bit, playing on toys, obscure instruments again, digitising sounds, they are being more creative now, and more confident since the Violater/ Songs of Faith and Devotion
But aside from "wrong" their is not one good "tune" in their 12 song lineup.

Nothing sticks, nothing is catchy, it's so sad to see a major band who's livelyhood has depended on a delicate balance of pop/emo music, struggling with something simple as the pop side of it all, and the emo thing is missing too.
bring back alan
bring back the drugs,
bring back the hedenism that almost destroyed the band in the first place and almost killed Dave off in the process (and made Alan split and take a 5 year break from the music industry)
Old 22-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTE┼, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
Re: depeche mode and sounds of the universe

hmmm, it's a grower....

Like i said it's the best "creatively" Depeche have been since Wilders departure.

First listen, i really did time out, and wanted to listen to something else.
There was even waves of Beatles melodies and even Queen in there, with guitar mixed with bit-bop, i wasn't happy.

Then suddenly after letting my anger digest, and put throw a few more listens, i've found a few of the vocal melodies stuck in my head over night, needed to be listened too again.

Depeche have managed to succeed yet again to produce something that is both bad but exceptionally good at the same time.