GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > MMO

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
Rift

Anyone playing the beta atm ??
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of
Re: Rift

I have, and most of my guild have been since phase 1, but personally ill be giving it a miss. Majority of the guild does have it preordered though.

The rifts are fun, but beyond that theres not really anything special or new about it. If youre looking for a new fantasy themepark AAA title then you wont be disappointed, but if you were hoping for something outside the box Rift will not be it.
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough

Something really to tide me over till SWTOR comes out and untill DCU is fleshed out a bit more.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I've been playing in the beta since the first closed one, which was somepoint late last year. I love it, on release I'll be moving there from my old MMO (Runes of Magic, which I've all but already quit now anyway). For me, exploration is a big part of any good MMO, and exploring in Rift is awesome - you get rewarded for it. There is also many different things to do -

Search for artifact collections, crafting, exploring, questing, rifting, just killing monsters for the hell of it all..

All are viable ways to play the game, unlike others where you HAVE to do certain parts (like questing), here you can do whatever you WANT to do and still it works.

The soul system is nice, having multiple roles within each calling is a great idea, you can get much more flexibility in a single character, yet there isn't a "one-size-fits-all" class still. The only thing I am a bit disappointed with atm is that many "stranger" combos (that you wouldn't expect to work well together) have lost all viability in any form, due to the skill changes in the last 1-2 betas... For example you could have a combo for soloing before that worked well, but wasn't so hot in party play. Now this combo doesn't work at all, which is a shame because it means more people will choose the same combos, will wear the same gear, use the same skills etc... Also this was supposed to be a "solo-friendly" game, without making it so that soloers could do everything (instances) themselves.

If I want a random combo to solo with in the world, I should be able to survive and kill with it to be able to progress - that was the offer made by Rift at the beginning.
JK Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Demonjock

Manhack

Well i played last months beta with a few others from my guild that have been like yourself been in closed beta and they have been impressed with the system and the gameplay. But as you say they are changing there gameplay too suit the patches with the classes and skills and having to adapt to the different combos each patch which they seem to think is making the game more balanced.
But i did like the artifact finding which is a great touch and like yourself i enjoy the exploring side of mmo`s rather than the get to the finish line the quickest. The rifts and invasions did make exploring that bit more exciting ( thank god i had a rogue)and i found solo`ing at lower levels pretty easy.
PvP was good as well, with the well oiled machine and vent easily rolling over the other faction, but what we did laugh at was that both factions were able to read the others chat which did make us giggle in vent as we saw what they were planning, hopefully this will get sorted out nearer the time.
But yes it should be a good game untill SWTOR comes out ( by god it better deliever).