GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 27-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light
HDD Recommendations?

Hi all, it's that time of year where I have a little bit of cash left over so I'm looking to upgrade, and I've decided I definitely need a new hard drive.

I'm barely surving on my Raptor X, and I constantly have to delete stuff to make room.

I'd love to have a matching Raptor, but considering the model I ahve isn't being produced anymore, it costs an arm and a leg.

So what I'd like to know is if anyone knows of any decent HDD's going at the moment that sit well next to my raptor for around the 60-100 mark.
Space wise, 300-500GB would be great but I'm open to loads of suggestions.

I'm just starting the search now, but I know you guys have a huge amount of joint knowledge in this area so it could save me a lot of shopping around.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HDD Recommendations?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-S...ache-85-ms-NCQ

Or

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-W...300-32MB-Cache
Si^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Omegaice

Zombie

Omegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enoughOmegaice will become famous soon enough

Id recommend against any Seagate barracuda 7200.11s myself. I recently bought 2 and there have been lots of issues with them on the official Seagate forums and I myself even had a few issues before I updated the firmware on them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/omegaice/
Omegaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Aye Seagates have been good paperwieghts of late

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for the advice guys. Was going to try and stick with Western Digital after having a read around, seems to be a bit of doubt over some of the Samsungs aswell.

Now just to decide which one. I think I might go with a 500g because I've heard the bigger the drive the more chance off errors. Eg. 1tb would have more then 2 500gb.
Any reasoning behind this? Oh and then I could raid them aswell.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

My Samsung Spinpoint is quite, fast and relatively cheap.
Old 28-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

Yes seagate isn't a good make to buy currently.

My bro has had 2 1tb drives fail and lost a lot of data although that's his own dumb ass fault for not backing it up.

Still at least they have actually done the decent thing and owned up about it and have offered to recover anyone's data free of charge.

While its not perfect its better then trying to brush problems under the carpet.
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsLiNgEr View Post
seems to be a bit of doubt over some of the Samsungs aswell.
Currently running 500GB and 1TB Samsungs with 0 problems.
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you get, buy a pair of them and hardware or software raid (and by RAID I mean 1 or 5 for redundancy rather than 0 for striping) them (software if blistering performance is not a concern).
As HDD's and the amount of stuff we store on them get progressively larger, it becomes a bigger pain the more linux ISO's you have to re-download after a failed disk
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute

i currently run a RAID10 array

Seagate is letting alot of people down atm with their drives, and lack of fix for the problem!

Western Digital FTW!
Old 29-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

Western Digital or Hitachi Deskstars are my current choice for any builds i do, whichever is in stock when i goto buy, had no problems with either and been using them for the last 20-30 builds ive done.
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
i currently run a RAID10 array

Seagate is letting alot of people down atm with their drives, and lack of fix for the problem!

Western Digital FTW!

Seagate appear to make good doorstops though http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ks_barracudas/
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to hear about Seagate's woes. I haven't bought one for a few years but the older ones were great. I'm still running a 200Gb and a 300Gb that I've had for several years.

I'm very pleased with my Samsung 1Tb drive though. I can store so much gentlemen's entertainment now.