GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion > Builds and Projects

Builds and Projects Show off your gaming rig and modifications.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute
Project Sh!tShack

Not had a build log on here in a while So here goes.

As many of you that came to the Lan will know my desktop got battered by the postman and needs alot of work to get the formally Powerful machine back and kicking.

Stage 1. (Essential) Mid January
  • New case
  • New Cooler
  • New Motherboard

Both the cooler and the case were heavily damaged in the post the cooler rattles and the case is not quite square anymore.

The motherboard is being replaced as it does not support Linux due to a Faulty APIC table and it being a DFI this was never Fixed.

For the case I am going for the Fractal Design Mini. It Got a Shit ton of 3.5 inch bays and is a Quiet and Cool case.

For the Cooler i have not made up my mind fully yet. I am Either going to go for a Refurbed Corsair H80 or a Noctua NH-U12S. Not Fully Made up my mind yet on this one.

For the motherboard I have a Asus Rampage 3 Gene on the Way. Paid a Bit more that is should for a 3yo Board but It is the Rolls Royce of X58 Boards.

Stage 2 Late January
  • New CPU

On Ebay there has been a Chip that has been described as a overclockers wet dream. The Xeon L5639. These are Custome chips made by intel for facebook. They are low power 60w 6 core parts. On Many X58 Boards people have reported Running at there board's Max QPI 70% overclocks are not unheard of.

Stage 3 Late March
  • New Disk Controller
  • New Spinning Rust
  • New SSD's

The purpose of this is to merge the functions of my Fileserver and desktop into one Machine.

The Disk controller in all likelyness will be a Reflashed IBM M5014. These can be Flashed with a LSI Stock Firmware Quite easily.

The Disks will be 6 2TB or 3TB Disks on one Raid 5 (Maybe raid 6)Set The should provide 10Tb/15TB of Storage. Enough for the Next Few years.

The SSD's Will be 2 256GB Samsung Evo's Connected to the LSI Controller in Raid 0 (backed up to the Spinning Rust Nightly).

All This is going to cost me the best part of a Grand But Should last me well into 2017
Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Project Sh!tShack

Little update on this one. Case and Cooler have been ordered. Have changed form what I originality Planned and i have gone for a Fractal design Arc Mini and a Refurb Corsair H100 instead. Also the motherboard has Arrived which mean hopefully i will have a meaningful update on Monday night.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one, pics required

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
alsenior

Roller Mine

Stage one of the build is now done. with the H100 the cpu is chilling at 31C.

Ill post pics tommorow as im pretty bushed and i need to be up at 6 for work

Praise Gaben
Old 14-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
alsenior

Roller Mine

Pictures . in other news I suck at photography

Sent from my One X+ using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389725132699.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	24167   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389725149076.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24168   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389725163772.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	24169  
Old 14-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

GPU is in the wrong slot mate

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 14-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
alsenior

Roller Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
GPU is in the wrong slot mate
Its there for a good reason. i want to use the other 2 Pci-e Slots and not crowd the Gpu cooler. I need the the other 16x slot for the Raid card in stage 3.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Platinum

Tentacle

Fair play, it will only run at 8x though and on some boards 4x

Old 15-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
alsenior

Roller Mine

Nah on this board that's a full 16x slot

Sent from my One X+ using Tapatalk
Old 15-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Platinum

Tentacle

Nice!