GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light
Return to PC gaming starting with a new rig

Hello gaymon et al! My trusty five-and-a-half year old PC has had numerous problems over the past couple of years which has pushed me towards other projects, but after an extended absence I'm really missing the PC gaming scene. I don't see any point in upgrading it now as just about every part of it has some kind of fault, so now that I'm settled down again I'm looking to invest in a new rig.

Purchasing a new PC is probably as exciting as getting a new car for me and as it doesn't come around very often I want to get it right. I've been researching parts for the past six months so I've got a fairly good handle on what's what.

So as is customary in these parts, I'm looking for some input from you guys and gals. Since I tend not to upgrade for 3-5 years I don't have a strict budget but I still like value for money. Hence I plan to base it on the Chillblast Fusion Thunderbird here: http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast...underbird.html

Zalman Z11 High Performance Gaming Case
Intel Core i5 3570K Processor overclocked to up to 4.7GHz
Akasa Nero 3 CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
GeForce GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
Samsung Blu Ray / DVD-RW Combi Drive
240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2000GB SATA Hard Disk
750watt Corsair CX750 PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

999.98 inc. VAT.

As this could be my last ultimate build I also plan to pair it with a 30" Dell Ultrasharp U3011. Any experiences of 30” monitors out there for the price? I did a fair amount of research on this a few months ago and couldn't find anything rated better than this for the price.

Also, any area of the rig worth upgrading to make sure the rig can cope with the resolution and high spec games? I know there are better parts out there but I don't want to spend 100's extra for a 10% increase in framerate!

My Z5500 sound system is in the living room now, so as I'll be gaming with stereo cans I'm not sure a Xonar sound card is worth it, though I've always had my heart set on trying one.

I am considering a self build with these parts since I've learnt a lot trying taking my old PC apart, but I'm not entirely convinced the potential hassle will be enough to make up for the money saved. I think it's TGK fail comp that I still have in the back of my mind!

I plan to order by the end of October 2012 by the way, so you'd better start practicing now

Cheers,

POB
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Return to PC gaming starting with a new rig

Hi Pob, just wanted to say "hi"

we have missed you a lot

Only thing on that list I would say is if this is a keeper PC, up the ram to 16 gig

I am sure Plat will come along and confirm the best i5/i7 CPU to go for

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Hi Pob, just wanted to say "hi"

we have missed you a lot

Only thing on that list I would say is if this is a keeper PC, up the ram to 16 gig

I am sure Plat will come along and confirm the best i5/i7 CPU to go for
Hey, we have missed you too! I'll be sure to pop onto MSN and GG servers when I can

I think an extra 8gb RAM is 50-60 so I agree it's definitely worth the extra investment, it just comes down to whether it's worth paying even more to upgrade from 1333 to 1600MHz.

Last edited by POBmaestro; 01-10-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Hi Pob, hopefully see you in some games, tas been a loooong time.
If your budget can go this far, the Intel i7 unlocked would be a better choice and make it a little more future proof. Scan price
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

POB

No idea on the PC but hai! Be nice to see you around a bit more, get some games played etc. Hope your keeping well?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Cheers Fazer, I've long been considering the 3770K. I don't see much difference in performance today but like you say it would be better future proofed. If I did that I'd probably look to up the graphics to a GTX680 for the same reason. If I wait until the end of the month I could just about stretch to those.

Hai AFA! I've been keeping well ta, better than ever before hows you n the little one, due November right?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

HELLO POB.

That's all. <3
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Alive View Post
HELLO POB.

That's all. <3
DA!

Good to hear from ye <3

Once the new rig is up and running got some serious gamage and such catching up to do
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

if you plan on doing some serious overclocking i would change the cooler to one of the corsair hydro series. especially since that chip is a very capable chip. definitely take it up to 16GB of ram it so cheap at the moment.
Old 29-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

So last week I put in the order. I overspent the budget somewhat but then looking at benchmarks of the components it was a necessity if I wanted to run the 30" monitor at full effect for the foreseeable future.

I looked at many suppliers but kept with Chillblast as they offered the best deal. In fact, it's costing slightly less than if I bought the components myself to build. It's a bit overkill for today but should hopefully keep up for at least a couple of years:

NZXT Phantom White Gaming Case
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3770K Processor @ ~4.7GHz
Corsair H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB Graphics Cards in SLI
240GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive
2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive
Asus Xonar D2 7.1 PCI Sound Card
Corsair HX 1050 Modular 1050W PSU

Can't wait to get gaming on this. Already have the 30" monitor and all I can say is it's ******* huge and ******* awesome

I'm getting Skyrim and Dishonored with it but what multiplayer games are people playing these days?