GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > GameGrin Distributed Computing

GameGrin Distributed Computing
  • GameGrin Folding@Home
  • GameGrin Seti@Home
  • Milkyway@Home

Old 24-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Folding @ Home V7 Unified Client

So I should have had this up sooner but tbh I have been lax when it comes to keeping up with the latest developments in the folding world, ill try and fix that from now on

So this is the real big one, the first proper client if you will IMO, Basically the main feature of the V7 client is that it unifies all the clients into one package, install the one program and once set you can have it fold on a CPU and GPU without needing to mess with separate clients ect.

Its very configurable, you can set the CPU side of things to fire up a uni processor thread, a SMP thread and so on, GPU side of things if you select GPU folding it will start a thread and go on its way, much easier than before.

I wont go through the ins and outs of installing ect as the Folding team already have a very comprehensive guide up here which is well worth a look :

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide

Update

Ok so the above is still relevant, however with the new client things appear to be a lot easier, just install, start up and your sent to a webpage giving you a overview of your client.
From here you can set up your CPU / GPU for folding and now even select what disease you want to help with.

You can also set from here how much compute time the client will use, generally set this to idle if you only want to use spare cycles and crank it up to full if you are to leave it running unattended.

The client
----------

The client is available here :

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Just scroll down and click on Start Folding

This will take you to the download for the Windows client, just click see all versions below if you use OSX / Linux ect.

Last off you will need to enter your passkey on installation (I think you can skip this but entering your passkey helps in locking clients to your stats, no chance of accidentally folding for the wrong team then )

If you don't have a passkey already you can request one here :

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

So there we go, FAH have the best client yet out, no excuses now, Grin should be using this client and rising well up the ranks, Fold on!

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017

Last edited by Platinum; 23-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Folding @ Home V7 Unified Client

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-05-2012 20-49-13.png
Views:	67
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	23390  
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all

would leave it running but seem to be making my system get toastie hot

btw it was hardly running for any time @ time of pic.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folding.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	23391  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

Looks fine to me?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
What Widgets are those?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all

radiators get really toastie........
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Yeah, I flicked it on and it consumed all the remaining CPU. That's fine. But it seems that it all gets rather hot whilst doing that. Gunned the fans but not much help.

I don't want my house to burn down whilst I'm at work!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

Modern CPU's are fine up to 90 - 100 degrees c, nothing to worry about , The i7 2600 in my media PC hits 80 degrees all the time.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Listy

Bullsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
What Widgets are those?
gpu meter

and All cpu meter

they use core temp to give you the temps of the stuff
Old 14-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose i might have to throw 12k ppd your way for the next 2 weeks
alsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsenior View Post
Suppose i might have to throw 12k ppd your way for the next 2 weeks

Old 26-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Ning

Fast Headcrab

Ning is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the roughNing is a jewel in the rough

back, installed & running.... lets see what ppd i get these days
Ning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

Win, Seriously considering putting together a dedicated folding box, Looking at building a server for testing so may have to make sure if has more than 16 cores...

Old 26-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning View Post
back, installed & running.... lets see what ppd i get these days
BTW

Old 26-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Win, Seriously considering putting together a dedicated folding box, Looking at building a server for testing so may have to make sure if has more than 16 cores...
prepare to spend silly money if your chasing big adv units. if you going to intel route the cheapest 8 core chip i have seen is 870 and then another 450 on a board. it get expensive fast.
Old 27-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Platinum
raggggggggge

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/syst...-4042G-6RF.cfm

Want, Stick a GTX 690 in there, sorted

Old 27-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
alsenior

Roller Mine

FAP FAP FAP FAP

Please tell me that your going to install linux on that. 64 cores on windows would be nowhere near as fun.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Platinum
raggggggggge

If I had the cash I would, afaik you have to use Linux for Bigadv anyhow

Old 27-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
alsenior

Roller Mine

you can go the dual socket G34 route which would be alot less ~1000 for the lot.