GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 13-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of
OnLive Coming to the UK

OnLive Coming to the UK

Visit here to read more

OnLive, the groundbreaking streaming games service has announced today via its company blog, an official partnership with BT to bring the service to the UK.

......Read More
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OnLive Coming to the UK

I still think this sounds like toss.

I like to own my games in case my net goes down - at least that way I can still play them - not rent them then have a constant worry about whether or not my net is running well enough (or at all) to stream the games properly.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

This isnt actually something ive heard of before but it seems like a good idea, on demand gaming whenever you want it really.
Will be keeping an eye on this.
Old 13-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
G_Silberrad

Snark

G_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enoughG_Silberrad will become famous soon enough

As awesome as this sounds, I can't help but wonder if the UK's internet infrastructure is really up to this. Iirc there's still a large amount of copper cable serving as backbone around the UK; and what about those places which aren't close to an exchange?

Plus, where I go to uni, the broadband speeds are woefully inadequate, but BT/Virgin refuse to upgrade the lines, citing "Oversubscription".

tl;dr - How will the UK's infrastructure cope with massive games streaming when it can barely handle iPlayer at times
G_Silberrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, it won't.
It's a fantastic concept, I love it, but it will only really work in places like Korea where the standard is 200MBPS.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

This is the future, but not now, I just think there will be to much lag, perhaps the average console monkey may not notice much but I know I and most people here will, hell we even notice lag on wireless mice and thats only got to transmit a signal a few feet

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

I've been waiting to give this a blast. Infact i've held out upgrading my crumy 9600 till i could confirm if this was any good or not.
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Silberrad View Post
As awesome as this sounds, I can't help but wonder if the UK's internet infrastructure is really up to this. Iirc there's still a large amount of copper cable serving as backbone around the UK; and what about those places which aren't close to an exchange?

Plus, where I go to uni, the broadband speeds are woefully inadequate, but BT/Virgin refuse to upgrade the lines, citing "Oversubscription".

tl;dr - How will the UK's infrastructure cope with massive games streaming when it can barely handle iPlayer at times
Oh hai Guy - I really should stop bringing people to the forums...

I think this concept is good but like Guy says it's about where you are. I have a sh*te connection so how would that effect myself.

I think that the next-gen consoles may implement a similar system on board the consoles to compete with something like this.

My bet would be on this to shoot off if someone like Activision jumped on-board.
Old 13-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

And there current partners are not enough? http://www.onlive.com/partners.html

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
And there current partners are not enough? http://www.onlive.com/partners.html
This.

Plus Activision are worse than EA these days with new money for old rope.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

in all reality though how many partners did steam have when it first launched? i can only remember sin being the first non steam game and the developers went bump after the first episode.
Old 14-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

A nice idea but I wonder how much it's going to cost. They're currently charging $14.95 a month service charge which will probably translate to 14.95 over here.
I've noticed that they very carefully explain that the 14.95 doesn't include games so how much will they be charging for those? Unless they're significantly cheaper than buying the game from the shops I can't see many people going for it.
Would you use Steam if you had to pay 15 quid (or even dollars) a month for it?
Old 14-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough

Not for the games I play often, not unless they can break the current laws of physics and get data to travel faster.

I can see uses for other things though.
Old 14-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

it depends what they offer with the service, it maybe worth it, may not be worth it, we just have to wait and find out.