GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 16-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
bad-day.....like, this is scientific proof of luck running bad

have you ever had just "one of those days", when god/fate does some griefing

I mean like, where you actually scream out "wtf God?" which i did scream when the car which i just checked was out of gear just jerked to a stall when i lifted my foot of the clutch.

The day started with typical....darn forget wallet. drive back home only to find out it was burried deep in my bag.

to after getting to the......fuuuurrrrthest car parking place away from my job realised "balls I forgot the eletric cable that plugs the car into the heat"
being -18 that car was going to get a little nippy.

Some guy parked up beside oblviously opened his door into the side of my car, no damage mind.

People who sold the parking tickets were out of tickets so I had to buy them from another place, which hadn't opened, so i was basically late for work.

but that's okay....i can cope.
had some really good meetings got Leo's passport, things are running smoothly.

Then starts the webdevelopment.....on a mac.....with cs4 newly installed a day early.....in swedish......for a rushed (but simple) project for CEO for one of europes most powereful web company who needed a quick splash site for something my lot has drummed up.

Now, aparently this was my job last week, but camilla has had a high fever, and leo and myself got under the weather during the weekend.
I was at home thurdsay/friday, got in some time on stalker...but now, somehow karma decided to eat my ass out with acid over me having a good time whilst my family were sleeping off their respective illnisess.

but basically ever bugger at this conference has an i-phone.
and we have a flash site to show.
So this needs a fallback that is scalable to different screensizes.
Doesn't sound that blooming hard....but me being a hard boiled web programmer refused to give a time estimate.

And yes after a year or two in flash and giving up on my css/html/js roots, bit my **** off.

I forgot, how much I HATE those things.
I loved them, and have fond memories,
but it's not so much "them" it's opertating systems and web browsers, that made my life a living hell.

Do you know that there is not one single "simple" javascript command to figure out how much realestate is inside the browser.
one of the most funda-effing-mental things NEEDED in the web world, and no one in the browser industry has decided to make the web developers life easy in this department.

So after just effing googling it, i found something pretty quickly.
Slammed in it, but of course it would only show the sizes between my site-width and all the browser real estate above that.

not (if the browser is small like 200px like a mobile phone scale a div tag down so all the contents (with width 100%) will scale nicely.

now....the thing with CS4 is that it has a live view, where it shows the real live site.....(after a fashion)....
but because i'm on a ******* mac, the "alert" message, was hidden behind all my working windows....of which i didn't realise until shut down.
So the whole time I'm trying to "alert" my variables and in frustration nothing is happening, and i'm altering the code, and saving....I get the error message that I can't save due to write protection issues.
So now I'm bouncing between index2 and index1 between changes in code.
my patient levels DROPPED through the earths mantel and was already approaching the core at astonishing speed. Two hourse of error messages.
I'm failing at my job, over something pathetically simple.
and just trying to figure out how to turn flash on and off, and leave javascript enabled was a miny project in itself, until i just gave up and removed the call to flash from the html code.

I mean how god damn hard can it be to just get the browser size and scale the site appropriately.

so i ****** up.
I failed as a web developer.
i failed keeping my temper down i was having a temper tantrum like nothing else, which pissed me off as i promised myself that I wouldn't loose my rag like that again.

**** just kept hapening, like uncomment the flash call basically show the swf file again and nothing effing happens.....yes the attempt to remove flash from firefox has somehow backfired and just neutralised my swf.........infront my other colleagues.
Which starts getting embarasing.
Scale a ******* site, and then you get gang of people trying to help with really basic comments that you've checked 2 minutes into the 4 hour project from hell as you've been struggling to develop on a mac.
and then for an iphone.
Now knowing that the iphone has like a screen resolution of 420x320 or something to that effect, I already had a image inplaced AT that resolution.
Put that online to test, and it was tiny....

the whole time my boss (who can't program, knows nothing of w3c standards, and the damned pressure of developing a simple scalable splash screen for industry leaders so it will work on all platforms)
is nagging just drop post a picture instead.

which after failing diligently, I've given up, and think **** this, that will work.
sod javascrip, sod, flash, so broswer sniffers.
image width 100% with the text in the image.

whilst my career is falling apart, and i'm subjected to personal humilation on a level i've not felt before, Camilla calls up to tell me her/leo and her dad have just been in a car crash. Nothing serious just snow-ice and taking a corner a bit wider to get around the larger than average snow piles, and having a glancing blow on the side of another cars....But everyone was fine.
a few cm's and it would have been head on collision.
Camilla had just been also just picked up some stuff from that she's ordered, only to find out after she's signed off on it, that stuff was missing, despite the invoice saying everything was there.

went shoping, kept having to run forwards and backwards from the checkout to the corner FURTHEST away, when i realised stuff wasn't on the shopping list.
oh and succeeding in unentionally knocking stuff from the shelf (it sponateoulsy leapt of the shelves as I was walking by)

the car naturally was freezing and I was freezing after 20 mins in minus 20 walking to the car.
Trying to get the recycling into the recycling bins, and my hands were dead with cold, car stalls when I thought I had the car out of gear, when it wasn't I just did that damned wrigglecheck.

got home safely

Managed to misjudge the distance from the back of the car and back the car into a wall, right next to my garage that i've parked beside a million times in the past two years.

an it wasn't just my family little unit either,

my boss also had a crap morning as water has leaked in his cellar.
It's minus twenty and a water pipe breaks in your new house.
Old 16-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bad-day.....like, this is scientific proof of luck running bad

I love your posts.

purely because its the only such a thing so epic that i fail at reading them.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
I love your posts.

purely because its the only such a thing so epic that i fail at reading them.
+1. There's little I don't read, but Boff's posts just flabbergast me.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Jessica

Manhack

Jessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud of

All I got was "a bad day", "failed", "CS4" and some asterisks.

Anyway thats all you need to get to gather that you've had a bad day

Sorry to hear what ever you said, and I hope everything is better by tomorrow
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote