GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 14-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
It's that time again.

How do modernist writers engage with early twentieth-century modernization and its effects?

0/2500 at the moment, but have a lot of it written in note form on paper.

Storm of Steel (to which I recommend reading if WWI interests you).

Howards End (pap book).
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's that time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
How do modernist writers engage with early twentieth-century modernization and its effects?

0/2500 at the moment, but have a lot of it written in note form on paper.

Storm of Steel (to which I recommend reading if WWI interests you).

Howards End (pap book).
They use pencils and pens instead of slates and quills, the effects are obvious, d'uh.

due to the lightweight tools with which scribes are now able to "pen" their works, their upper body strength diminishes, removing the perceptions that writers are in fact knuckle dragging freaks.

Instead those with an artistic flair, now flaunt their reduced upper bodys with such frivolity that one could assume they are merely homosexual. However, this question of gender preferences certain attracts the female member of the species in rather copious numbers.

The lotharios amongst the writers guild turn their attentions to poetry to woo said strumpets, the net result being large poetry parties with one man and many ladies.

The overall effects of these poet parties is that one man gets paid and impregnates many women with his wit, his humour and his bell-end. F*ckin Win I say.

To summarise the modernisation of writers is that plenty more journo's are getting their ends away, while the rest of us just daydeam.

/how about that for a slice of fried gold.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
/how about that for a slice of fried gold.
It's better than what I came up with.

They write about Cars and WWI.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Snoozer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
It's better than what I came up with.

They write about Cars and WWI.
BAM 219 Words Introduction. Fear my waffle.

The world has never changed as drastically as it did at the turn of the Twentieth-Century. Every component of mankind’s existence underwent a technological and cultural change. Mobility became personal; women began to forge equality; war was waged to an earth shattering standard and the world’s scale diminished through new means of communication. This modernization spread to literature and resulted in the aesthetic response known as Modernism. E.M Forster and Ernst Jünger can be considered two modernist writers who fully engaged with the effects of modernization. Howards End deals with two important factors. The first is a basic commentary concerning the effects of technology. The second is examination of the cultural shift that was brought about by the above. I will then combine the two to show the struggle that E.M Forster had with finding any positive effects of modernization. Jünger’s work, Storm of Steel is far more reactionary. He provides readers with a stark outlook at the culmination of modernization: severed limbs, bodily destruction / reproduction and the obliteration of existence through technological means.

Before we can assess Forster and Jünger’s texts, it is extremely important that the theoretical is dealt with. The basics of modernization are mentioned above, but a critical response is more effective.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Snoozer
Banned

FEAR MY ENGLISHISM's

1000 words. I would paste the whole thing, but then Copysense will flag it and I'd probably get done for plagiarism of my own work....
Old 14-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough

Attachments ftw?
Old 14-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Snoozer
Banned

Attachment would require effort

http://resources.avidgamer.co.uk/Mis...on%20(DOC).doc
Old 14-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Modernization doc?

Americanism ftl

Crowbar Juxtaposition in and get some rep

its my word of the month.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 14-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Snoozer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
Modernization doc?

Americanism ftl

Crowbar Juxtaposition in and get some rep

its my word of the month.
Hehe, as soon as I get to the comparison part, Juxtaposition will be flying everywhere.

I swore it was Modernisation, but I'm going by the question title.

Saying that, I think the historical event is known as modernization, not the process.

Last edited by Snoozer; 14-01-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 20-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Snoozer
Banned

To What Extent Can Atwood Be Called An Environmentalist?

Stupid f**king questions. 2500 words of waffle coming up
Old 27-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Snoozer
Banned

A Return To Folk/Oral Culture Is Often Central To Postcolonial Performance; Examine This Dynamic As It Is Played Out In Some Plays Studied.

‘Postcolonial Drama’ is one of the most complex ideas within literature. Performance, language and content combine to produce a postcolonial identity. Even when we have arrived at a distinguishable version of individuality, it only requires a change of setting, playwright or dialect for the identity to alter. Even so, with that fact in mind we must be careful not to dismiss postcolonial drama as an unrelated collection of plays. There are a variety of themes than run throughout the school of thought. The most obvious method of representation is the utilisation of folklore with ‘oral culture’ intrinsically linked as the representative technique.

I believe there to be three playwrights that successfully capture folklore as a manner of representing postcolonial identity. I will be examining works by W.B. Yeats, J.M. Synge and Derek Walcott in an effort to legitimise a coherent postcolonial performance. Both Yeats and Synge provide their audiences with plays that centre on national identity. The Abbey unquestionably centres their intentions on a search for what it means to be Irish. Walcott presents us with the same exploitation of folklore, but for a different purpose. While there are nationalistic objectives, he also attempts to create a unique postcolonial cultural identity. Through the analysis of these dramatists, I hope for a sense of clarity to form; one that shows the importance of folklore and oral culture for performing a postcolonial identity.

3500 words in total. Thursday deadline. Party day approaches
Old 27-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Colio

Garg

no juxtaposition

Old 27-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

just a thougt I'd say strive instead of forge for the bit about bints
Old 28-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Snoozer
Banned

DONE DONE DONE DONE.

Time to get ******* smashed.
Old 29-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Colio

Garg

nice work fella.

you can read this when your eyes uncross and you brain/liver recovers.

Old 16-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
Snoozer
Banned

******* Ace. That final one (the postcolonial drama essay) I got a 70. That's a first. That's the best mark I've ever had (62 - a 2.1 scraped is the previous record) and I'm chuffed as this is the important year.

Things are (hopefully) finally clicking into place.
Old 16-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

as per FB fecking well done dude
Old 16-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Colio

Garg

played man.

now go sow your melon sized seed.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Snoozer
Banned

When Allen Ginsberg first revealed Howl to his audience, America was awash with post-war consumerism, Cold War paranoia and a population that was conforming to the American Dream. Howl quickly became the national anthem for the Beat Generation, successfully capturing the hearts of a cohort that refused to accept the encroaching Capitalism of 1950’s America. The Beat movement, (with Howl leading the charge), effectively rewrote history’s perception of what post-war America stood for. Howl’s social issues result in a re-examination, a counter-cultural exploration, of the reality of 1950/60’s America.

Only 1000 words.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Determination of the glass transition stage of Polypropylene, utilising the Charpy impact test method.

6 page lab report
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote