GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 27-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Apple iPad

For $500 you get half a laptop running a phone OS, Apple eh, they really spoil us...

Quote:
It's not light. It feels pretty weighty in your hand.
The screen is stunning, and it's 1024 x 768. Feels just like a huge iPhone in your hands.
The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.
There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.
The ebook implementation is about as close as you can get to reading without a stack of bound paper in your hand. The visual stuff really helps flesh out the experience. It may be just for show, but it counts here.
No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn't have an SMS app!
It's running iPhone OS 3.2.
The keyboard is good, not great. Not quite as responsive as it looked in the demos.
No Flash confirmed. So Hulu is out for you, folks!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Apple iPad

Pretty disappointing, and in fact pretty crap really considering the hype behind it. Of course it'll be, "revolutionary" because it's from Apple.

Can't believe they didn't put OSX on it, it doesn't even multitask which is terrible for something that is meant to come close to a netbook.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough

and the name sounds like its a ladies hygiene product
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

alsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember where I saw this. But it seems comically apt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	21217  
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

It looks really quite nice, and if I'm honest I'd rather like to have one. I can see everyone carrying something like that around everywhere in a few yearsw time.

Not at that price though. If you're going to have something like that you need one with decent storage and with 3G access and they want over $800 for that spec, and it still won't play music for you while you surf.

The lack of multitasking in this day and age seems remarkable to me. How can they sell a "lifestyle" product like this that can only do one thing at a time?

Ridiculously expensive. Offer me one that does rather more than that for about 150 quid and I'd have one.
Old 28-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

Old 28-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

More overpriced, underspecced bull**** from Apple tbh. I've learned to expect nothing else from them.

No multitasking? No Flash support? It's an etch a sketch without the knobs. Heck, at least you could draw lines WHILE erasing them on an etch a sketch :S

I agree with what Betty said though, that people will be carrying things like this in a few years time. But for now, only the overly fashion over function crowd will be having them.
Old 29-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute

Old 29-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

TimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawsonuk View Post
More overpriced, underspecced bull**** from Apple tbh. I've learned to expect nothing else from them.
This is precisely why I don't buy Apple, and a part of me hates them all the more because stupid twats buy it in the shedload. Because it looks good and their friend has one, everyone else must get one. And making it expensive means people think it's brilliant, when on the whole they aren't. The iPhone has done some good stuff, I agree, but nothing that other phones can't do just as well.

As for the iPad - the sad truth is that people will buy it because it is a 'desireable' product. If I wanted to lug a massive thing like that around (in respect to, say, a phone) then I'd at least get something that - while maybe not as attractive - does everything I want it to do, and capable of doing it all at once.
TimmyShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyShire View Post
and a part of me hates them all the more because stupid twats buy it in the shedload.
But don't you see? That is a good thing. Stupid twats buy loads of these so all the other manufacturers get in on the act and produce their own. except they learn from what Apple has done and bring them in cheaper and with all the functions that everyone agrees Apple were daft to leave out.

This time next year (or maybe the year after) you'll be able to buy one for a couple of hundred quid, probably running Android, which has proper multi tasking and everything else we want. I'd have one.

Personally I love the fact that the fashion victims finance the development of stuff like this.
Old 29-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
This time next year (or maybe the year after) you'll be able to buy one for a couple of hundred quid, probably running Android, which has proper multi tasking and everything else we want. I'd have one.
Tis already happening - see the second half of the article...

http://www.asktheadmin.com/2010/01/i...intrigues.html
Old 30-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a large iPod..
I don't understand :S..

My dad showed it me it.. I was just like.. Wtf. :l
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

lols
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

It will be just like the iphone, everyone is going to rush and get this one, then in 6 months there will be one out with all the features that we are talking about here :/
Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Yes, and then the Android one will come out and the market will take off properly.

Really, I can see this being a real "Star Trek" moment if it's handled right.
Old 15-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #17
gustavowoltmann

Scanner

gustavowoltmann is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
gustavowoltmann is offline   Reply With Quote