GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > MMO

Old 17-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about
Final Fantasy 14 : A Realm Reborn Beta date announced.

Hopefully this time they won't screw the proverbial pooch quite so terribly. Going by what I['ve seen so far it should be pretty good.

The character creation for a start is WAY better. Of course, being legacy players the wife and I are in at phase 1

NDA not withstanding, I'll keep ya posted
Misterwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about
Re: Final Fantasy 14 : A Realm Reborn Beta date announced.

Benchmark is out.

Same system as the previous FFXIV benchmark. Runs through some prettiness, rating your rig as it goes.

I hit a score of 5393 running at 1280x720 High detail. On my Q6600 at 2.40GHz with the visuals being handled by an nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 at 675Mhz .Bring on release!
Old 22-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

I've just posted a video of the benchmark
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Misterwoot

Manhack

Aye, it's very very pretty... but then so was version 1.0 which is why I bought the CE. What remains to be seen is if YoshiP and the crew can fix the grindy nature of the game.

Going by what I have read on the lodestone it seems likely that they just might do it.
Old 23-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

Ive signed up to the beta of this, not been following it a massive amount - damn you WoW addiction, but I am interested to see how they get on. I met the original dev team at an interview session at Gamescom 2010 and they were so full of ideas and aspirations but when I got the game on release, it was a massive dissapointment. I really hope they have been able to turn it around as it did have great potential back then, was just executed poorly.
Old 23-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Misterwoot

Manhack

I have a lot of hope for this version of the game. Especially since the original Yoshi has as good as admitted that he's the only original team member left.

The Beta roadmap causes me to have a fair amount of hope, especially the introduction of dragoons and mounts that fight alongside you.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Misterwoot

Manhack

Check yer mail boys and girls, second phase of invites went out today!

I know at least one person who made an NDA busting facebook post (before they signed it of course) so there's hope

Chocobos for all!

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
No, that profile pic isn't Fisher Stevens
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Remembering my horrible experience as a fisherman in the original, my hopes for this are getting slowly drained. I'm at the stage where I don't mind if I don't get into the beta at all; it'll save me the effort of downloading what could be another pile of rubbish.

On another note: if anyone wants to see it, there's a live-stream going on just now -
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Misterwoot

Manhack

It's true, crafting . gathering . the whole damned game was horrific in version 1.
thankfully, firing the whole dev team and starting again has done a lot to improve it. Although why the hell Yoshi was running around as a bloody lalafel I don't know. Probably to show off the fact that you can jump in the game now. lol

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being completely lost, finally finding someone to give me a damn fishing quest, spending an age catching ONE fish when I needed two for the quest, my time limit ran out (because time limits on MMO quests are cool), then I failed.

I went back to restart the quest and was killed by, I think, an oversized butterfly because I could only throw fucking pebbles as an attack. I uninstalled it that day.
Old 27-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Misterwoot

Manhack

OK, as of 47 minutes ago Square Enix lifted 3 of the NDA provisions because there will be a demo area at Nico Nico Super Convention 2.

We're now allowed to talk about character creation, New Gridania and Old Gridania.

So once I have collected some thoughts and hacked them into some kind of coherent shape, I'll fire something in this direction!

It's almost 1 am and the coffee is wearing off, so anything I wrote down now would just be gibberish :P

Last edited by Misterwoot; 27-04-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: See? lack of caffiene makes Woot unable to count above 2
Old 27-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Final fantasy, wasnt that a shit film?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #13
Dead Alive

Antlion

I forgot about this thread. I played it for a few hours then uninstalled it. Honestly, much as I wanted to love it, I thought it as dull as sin.

Plat, it was two shit films.
Old 27-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Two???

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Misterwoot

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Alive View Post
I forgot about this thread. I played it for a few hours then uninstalled it. Honestly, much as I wanted to love it, I thought it as dull as sin.

Plat, it was two shit films.
Beta stages 1 and 2 were just for testing the two city sections, gamepad support, stability, and character creation, so yes... it was dull, but it did the job.

Creation is now really slick, far more options and now you can create male Miqu'ote (the cat people), and female Rogadin (big musclebound types). You can preview what each class will look like in racial, starter and high end clothing too.

Happily, there's still no "endowment" slider for the Lalafel race, as boobs on something that looks like a pointy eared 6 year old would be just creepy.

The city of Gridania is still in 2 sections, New and Old. Gridania is where you start out with the adventure guild and the NPCs familiar to players of version 1. Visually it has had a major revamp with a cleaner, more open layout and easier navigation. It is certainly no longer the Dali-esque nightmare it was in version 1.

So far, what I see is visually very very nice, and the engine is performing so much better I think they must have some kind of pact of Lovecraftian levels with dark gods "the like of which mankind should not treat". It's the only thing I can think of that could possibly have fixed it so well.

When the NDA is finally lifted I'll do a nice big writeup for GG and send it in, but until then I think that's about all they will allow to be said.

Old 27-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Misterwoot

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Two???
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

and

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Old 27-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Dead Alive

Antlion

The engine ran brilliantly and the game looks good, very good at times, but I don't mean dull as in nothing to do; I mean dull as in the quests were dull even by MMO standards, the combat was dull and the characters themselves were dull.

Just not for me, I guess. A shame, too, as I was really hoping they'd put out something I'd enjoy because I missed the boat entirely on FF11, which will likely be the only FF MMO that will ever get treated as a good game, even if it is through nostalgia, these days.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #18
Misterwoot

Manhack

Boom! NDA lifted!

Time to start mashing keys on my new shiny Zalman mechanical keyboard!