GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 22-03-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
Angry Whats the world coming to ??

OMG ****ing god, read this:
http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

what the hell are they trying to proove - well in the extremeties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 22-03-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
is that for real? somehow i dont think it is, and if it is it'll never happen cuz its...well...illegal more or less
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
i think its the extreme action, the multimedia industry is after, i have no doubt that this well could come into force, and ur right NBK i think it is illegal! and fookin stupid!
Old 23-03-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
It will probalby become reality :/
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
"THEY" have been working on stuff like Palladium AND/OR TCPA for a long time.

Itís something people in the industry have mixed views and arguments about regularly.

I very much doubt the extremities of it all will reach fruition in the public domain, however some aspects of it probably will and probably do some good.

Building hardware level piracy measures is unlikely to stop piracy because at the end of the day, the large majority of systems have been circumnavigated or are being circumnavigated.
Making a logical deduction that 2048 bit enc can't be cracked/bypassed within a realistic timeframe is bollocks in my opinion because there are flaws in all of the hosts to the algorithms in public knowledge existence today.

I would like to think that some of Palladiumís methodologies reach fruition, the ones that protect people and companies. The control aspects of it are in todayís world, with so many people banging on about freedom etc would never be voted in.

Who knows really?

Who cares THAT much really?

Iím living for the now, everyday society has a habit of reminding me that itís continually trying to fu*k itís self over, which leaves a really arid picture of the future in my mind. NOT a future I want to bring children into for sure!

Donít get me wrong, I love everyday of my life, and look forward to the next... but only because generally I have good control of it and only allow things into it (where possible) that I like doing and have a passion for.

I live in the hope that enough "good" survives to keep a balance in all things

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
Namer

Manhack

Namer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately Kyle, after the yanks managed to screw up the 'can spam' act I think that the TCPA/Palladium will probably get voted through as well. There were massive objections to the 'can spam' act but it still went through 'cause all the spammers got together and neutered a perfectly good bill.

Now, if you think about it, this TCPA thing will have the backing of the entertainment industry (for that read Hollywood) and they could bring much more force to bear than the spammers ever could.

I see a bleak future ahead. Shame.

C2D 4400 @2.8Ghz, 6gb corsair xms ram, 160Gb h/d and 240Gb h/d, 1x XFX 4850 and, of course, water cooled. Currently dual booting XP and windows7 RC.
Namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
To be fair, I dont think it will be a global success.

1: At present, the only encryption methods allowed are those less than what the states currently use.

So for example, the states use 1024bit encryption, but because they dont want the rest of the free world to have this encryption method they allow the export of the 256bit encryption methods.

To think that the USA will allow manufacturers to export encryption methods to the likes of China, Russia and all other foreign states that it has "issues" with are a possible no no.

2: Places like China, Russia are perhaps unlikely to go ahead with such a restriction. As basically it'll mean the USA have the means and the methods to snoop more indepth into computer communications etc.

3. Those foreign states who value their peoples civil liberties and freedom are also unlikely to go ahead with the agreements. Hence dell, ibm and all other manufacturers would need to produce 2 lots of hardware, one for the regulated and one for the free world.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
what i dont understand is the businesses that support open source...like the ones that stick linux on their machines/servers backing it?
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
^SwITcH^

Combine Soldier

^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough
Sounds a little two-faced for the american government to go after Micro$oft for anit-competitive behaviour and then to turn around and kill off all but the big boys in the software industry ??

I agree with Kyle that protection for personal and commercial systems would be a winner, but even with Hollywood backing I can't see this being brought to fruitiion to the extent which is stated in that article.

Ah well - that's my 2 penny's worth....
Old 24-03-2004, 06:27 PM   #10
Jim the Bad

Zombie

Jim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enoughJim the Bad will become famous soon enough
I think this idea was floated around years ago and got shouted down....much like palladium and so on. I don't doubt DRM is coming, but not in such an onerous form. At the end of the day, consumers have some power, and these kind of things go down like a cup of cold sick Just think of copy-protected music CDs - everyone just takes them back to the shop.

In the end these things tend to have the same effect as anti-terrorist measures (ID cards!) that will have a negligible effect on the people they are suppose to operate against but really p155 off the innocent.
Jim the Bad is offline   Reply With Quote