GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Menu put on the forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
viewing a website with adblockers on is like stealing, the sites need the revenue from the ads to keep the site going.
GTFO.

Im not going into it here, but that comment is just insane.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyhow back to the thread, Rasher what res are you testing the new stuff on, Reason I say is im browsing at 1280 x 800 and with the sidebar there the main forum page is looking a little squashed but still ok, with another on the otherside its going to squash the forum down to far.
As i said, its very customisable, can make the menu even narrow if needed
you may not of noticed but the images used for the mag are smaller ones, this was part of trying to make it smaller (you can see the menu can still be made narrower)
plus the fact were planning on letting users remove the second menu

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
GTFO.

Im not going into it here, but that comment is just insane.
Got your PM and disagree, If you have ever run a website and relly on the revenue from the adverts to keep it going you would have a different view on things, the adverts are there for a reason, the sites dont just put them up for a laugh or to generate extra beer money, Yes stealing was probably not the right word to use, little harsh but if everyone blocked the ads on a site then chances are that site would cease to be very soon after if that was its main source of income.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if anyone else is usong it but its all working well in Google Chrome.

Which BTW, aside from the odd crash attempting to attach long filename images to a forum post, is a cracking browser.
Old 13-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

its thrown the formatting of the site completely to c0ck for me.

with and without my "utility"

Im not going to argue the for/against the changes, Im just going to report what I see.

Mozilla FF 3.0.6 @ 1024x768. I have an ad blocking utility running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forumview.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	19106  

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 13-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
Gunn (LA)

Combine Soldier

Gunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to behold

Found a bug (i think!)

From the main forum page I clicked on the folding page to get the next addition of the GO Mag, and it opened it up in a new window. But when I tried to navigate anywhere in the main forum after the mag page had loaded, it had locked up on me but a refresh solved the problem.

Just a quirk!!

Gunn (LA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #27
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn (LA) View Post
Found a bug (i think!)

From the main forum page I clicked on the folding page to get the next addition of the GO Mag, and it opened it up in a new window. But when I tried to navigate anywhere in the main forum after the mag page had loaded, it had locked up on me but a refresh solved the problem.

Just a quirk!!
Very strange, just so I'm understanding this correctly, you clicked the folding corner, and it locked up the window that launched it?

If that's how it went, what browser are you using?
Old 13-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of the thread: I agree and have mentioned this previously to Rash, but I think the banner would sit better on the right.

My eyes are getting confusedly having to start half way across the page and then finish reading at the very tiny tip on the edge of the monitor, feels as though the forum has been squashed.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #29
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
its thrown the formatting of the site completely to c0ck for me.

with and without my "utility"

Im not going to argue the for/against the changes, Im just going to report what I see.

Mozilla FF 3.0.6 @ 1024x768. I have an ad blocking utility running.
Tested in 1024x768 on FF and IE (on 3 PCs plus two other users)
and no scroll bar

The ironic thing is, if we had paid staff, someone could of fixed that for you in about 30 seconds

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #30
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn (LA) View Post
Found a bug (i think!)

Just a quirk!!
From the way you worded this, it sounds like it only happened once?

What OS
What browser (and version)
as no one as has had this issue, we cant class it as a bug at the moment.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #31
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
On the topic of the thread: I agree and have mentioned this previously to Rash, but I think the banner would sit better on the right.

My eyes are getting confusedly having to start half way across the page and then finish reading at the very tiny tip on the edge of the monitor, feels as though the forum has been squashed.
to be fair here, you have to start across towards the middle as the user post profile is first
I could take away the user post profile and put it at the top like other forums do?

just give it time, its only because your not used to it yet

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #32
Gunn (LA)

Combine Soldier

Gunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawsonuk View Post
Very strange, just so I'm understanding this correctly, you clicked the folding corner, and it locked up the window that launched it?

If that's how it went, what browser are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
From the way you worded this, it sounds like it only happened once?

What OS
What browser (and version)
as no one as has had this issue, we cant class it as a bug at the moment.
XP SP2 (work PC)
FireFox 3.0.6
Dawson, you right, it locked up the window that launched...

I did try re-creating it and it did lock up for a while, but then sorted itself out. Maybe it was a cashing issue but nvm

Gunn (LA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #33
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

I hate it, but I'll get used to it like every other change.

Lols at the tags.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #34
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
I hate it, but I'll get used to it like every other change.

Lols at the tags.
Sums up this country, we hate it but will get used to it, no one will do anything about it :/
[/end rant]

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 14-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #35
Colio

Garg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Tested in 1024x768 on FF and IE (on 3 PCs plus two other users)
and no scroll bar

The ironic thing is, if we had paid staff, someone could of fixed that for you in about 30 seconds
Sorry, I wasnt clear enough.

Its not the scroll bar i was referring too (although its still there for me).

Its the fact that thread topics instead of being one line of text, now take up 3 lines. So each thread is 3 line spaces big, 2 of those line spaces are just empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher
I can appreciate that people who code this site do so from the good of their heart. However that isn't a substantial excuse when and if problems occur which can ultimately drive new viewers away.

If you cant have the people to fix problems at a whim (as per your suggestion) then you have to make sure that when changes are made, they are thoroughly tested first to ensure there are no substantial bugs.

Im just one person though and you'll be right to say you make no money from me.

But I am also one person who will actually mention the problems.

How many countless others wont and how many of those will leave? - Thats your target audience. Thats where your new revenue will be generated.

Old 14-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sums up this country, we hate it but will get used to it, no one will do anything about it :/
[/end rant]
Again, I was being ironic. I think you'll find I do do something about it.

I regularly write to my local MP, can't wait to finally vote in my first general election and take a healthy interest in political issues, allowing me to stay informed.

That's a lot more than most and pretty much all you can do without breaking the law.

Last edited by Snoozer; 14-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
Platinum

Tentacle

Quote:

How many countless others wont and how many of those will leave? - Thats your target audience. Thats where your new revenue will be generated.
I used to mention problems, make my voice known when there was something I thought could be improved, didnt like, thought was being done wrong but I constantly had people having a go at me for it, apparently its all been tried before.
These days ill occasionaly say something but generaly know what usual generic reply I will get.
Ill still attend the lans I as really enjoy them, but im slowly loosing interest in GO which I find really sad :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Again, I was being ironic. I think you'll find I do do something about it.

I regularly write to my local MP, can't wait for finally vote in my first general election and take a healthy interest in political issues, allowing me to stay informed.

That's a lot more than most and pretty much all you can do without breaking the law.
Wanst having a go at you mate, was just having a rant

Old 14-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #38
Vulpine

Vortigaunt

Vulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant future

I am going to write to my MP about this forum update, and see what he can do about it.

Honestly, Works fine for me, XP SP3, IE7, 1280x1024.
I don't mind it, but then i didn't mind it at the top either.
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #39
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
I used to mention problems, make my voice known when there was something I thought could be improved, didnt like, thought was being done wrong but I constantly had people having a go at me for it, apparently its all been tried before.
These days ill occasionaly say something but generaly know what usual generic reply I will get.
Ill still attend the lans I as really enjoy them, but im slowly loosing interest in GO which I find really sad :/

The way you have done it in the past as been WELL BELOW THE BELT at people/GameOn and me personally
I am not the only one seeing this, even your friends see this.

One of the last MSN chats you pulled me in to (with a group)
apart from you just being cocky in there, you didn't listen to a word what was said, even repeated your self three times on the same topic/question (which had been replied to and which you never seem to be able to see)
people was leaving that chat over what you was saying.
It all started when you got neg repped (by me) by the way you was treating a new user who had done nothing wrong to you.
You even gone on about stuff why you left the mag (on these forums) which was a total lie and every member of staff of the mag team know why it was delayed for 7 weeks on 1st issue, it was posted on the forums why.
These thing DONT help you when you come on saying things about "how s**t GameOn is" etc

What most people don't know (apart from Limbo group)
you have used private forums with friends to attack GameOn but never come to us with most of the things your saying, most of its been BS

This thread isn't the place for it, you have me on MSN, feel free.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 14-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #40
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, I wasnt clear enough.

Its not the scroll bar i was referring too (although its still there for me).

Its the fact that thread topics instead of being one line of text, now take up 3 lines. So each thread is 3 line spaces big, 2 of those line spaces are just empty..
Would of helped at the time to know what you was on about to test
that isn't that hard to fix from what i can see.

Quote:
I can appreciate that people who code this site do so from the good of their heart. However that isn't a substantial excuse when and if problems occur which can ultimately drive new viewers away.
That's why we study whats going on
and NOT act on the 1st or 2nd post (which is what your asking now....)

Quote:
If you cant have the people to fix problems at a whim (as per your suggestion) then you have to make sure that when changes are made, they are thoroughly tested first to ensure there are no substantial bugs.

Im just one person though and you'll be right to say you make no money from me.

The new features have been tested thoroughly, the screen res you are using isn't used a lot and does not come up high on our % of views to the forums
This is always taken in to account when ever changes are being made.

Just a note here
we have had complains

"it pushes my text with small resolution"
"it should be on the right hand side"
"it shouldn't have the same issue of the mag three times"

As you can see, no patten yet.
We are still monitoring

This is not worth a warrant of changing the system just for these small issues
we are keeping a close eye on it, and as my post said, the system is VERY flexible and a lot of changes can be made including allowing users to remove a menu.

The problem is with any new feature,
people will post if they don't like it
but will not post if they like it, that's a fact of life and business

Follow me on Twitter