GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > Misc Games Chat

Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Xg1j0eX

Snark

Xg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this pointXg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this pointXg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this point
SecuROM

I know I'm not the only one out there that thinks this SecuROM is complete garbage. I just needed to vent for a bit about it I guess. I buy a game and have a limited amount of times I can install it? Sorry EA I guess it's my fault that I occasionally re-format my drive and what I think is the worst thing about this crap is that even if you uninstall the game (for example Crysis Warhead) there is still some stuff left that you just can't get rid of. Until this SecuROM is no longer used by EA I don't think I will buy another game from them.
I don't like EA's response to us about it either. It's to prevent piracy, even though Spore was cracked in a matter of hours.
WAR = Asaatx 16 BW (Dark Crag)
Xg1j0eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SecuROM

Whats the problem with downloading the deactivation tool so you can install it as many times as u like?

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patc...horization.exe
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
Xg1j0eX

Snark

Xg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this pointXg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this pointXg1j0eX is an unknown quantity at this point

While I was in Iraq it was impossible for me to download just about anything, it took me 20 minutes to check my email. Now that I'm back in Germany and leaving here at the end of the month there is no point for me to get internet in my room. I shouldn't have to download something to bypass something as dumb as limited installs.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

So get someone else to download it for you its hardly a large file even for a dialup user.

Talk about making mountains out of mole hills.

Don't blame the developers for trying to protect there products blame the people who cant be ****d to buy it.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

Sin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really nice

Nex, thats bull****.

Nobody should have to download something so they can install their game, regardless of how easy it is.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Nex

Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin_Chase View Post
Nex, thats bull****.

Nobody should have to download something so they can install their game, regardless of how easy it is.
I disagree.

You don't need it to install it.

You only need it if you have gone over ur limit of installs.

Downloading that removal tool is no harder then having to download a game of steam.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

If you can remove it with a official tool whats the point of the limits in the first place?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Nex

Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
If you can remove it with a official tool whats the point of the limits in the first place?
Cause of the hype of the game when it first comes out.

Everyone wants it from the word go as most people these days are not prepared to wait for things.

Once all the hype has died down and sales have dropped off they release the tool to keep everyone happy.

PC owners have already p1ssed Crytek off buy pirating Crysis rather then buying it hence why we wont see any more pc exclusives.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

Sin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really nice

Not like consoles are immune to piracy.

And what does a 20 install limit do against piracy? Sod all, that's what.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me laugh, at the lan the net connection was down so I couldnt connect to GFWL for Halo 2 so I decided to fire up Crysis warhead, got the message that it couldnt connect to there licence server, turned to Roger I think it was and said "what a joke this is, If I had pirated this game I would be playing it now".
I dont have a answer to what can replace DRM in games, remove the DRM and make the games cheaper and people will still pirate, why pay when I can have it for free attitude, people dont think of the greater scheame of things, everyone pirates, games companys go tits up and no more games..

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

All modern games are single player only with pirated installs/serials. Cant play anything on-line without a legit key.

Most games that are worth playing (paying for) are usually purchased just for the online play alone.

I bought Quakewars and played it like 3 times and never touched it again, was a waste of 20. Was 'forced' into a purchase as its an online game, wish I had not of bought it.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #12
Xg1j0eX

Snark

There was something similar a few years ago with Sony. FTC chairwoman Deborah Platt Majaroas said:
"Installations of secret software that create security risks are intrusive and unlawful. Consumers' computers belong to them, and companies must adequately disclose unexpected limitations on the customary use of their products so consumers can make informed decisions regarding whether to purchase and install that content."

What I gather from that statement is that (at least in the US) there has to be some kind of warning on the packaging stating that SecuROM (or whatever) is going to be installed along with the software. As far as I know of it doesn't state anywhere on the packaging or the EULA (by the time I'm reading the EULA it's already too late) that this is being installed on my computer.

I also don't like having to register the key over the internet, because I'm not always going to be in a location where I have access to an internet connection. My entire first year in Germany I didn't have any way of getting an internet connection, it just wasn't available to my base. I can deal with this though, but I'm still not going to like it.

I do understand that the companies are just trying to protect their software from piracy, and are trying to come up with a way to do that. They just haven't found the right way yet.
What's next having to provide proof of purchase to the company and than you can actually install/play the game?