GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself First time on our forums, introduce yourself & tell us a bit about you.

Old 17-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
karamoon

Scanner

karamoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from the West of Ireland!

Hi, my name is Matt and I am married with two children. When I get peace and quiet (which is rare these days) I revel in the world of retro gaming. I set up a Facebook fan page on the subject and it's growing by the day. It's nostalgic, interesting and good fun. I started collecting retro games and consoles when they were a bit more affordable. Perhaps you may not agree, but, when I look at eBay and the 'Retro' items people are listing, I see a slightly false portrayal of what is collectable.

So, I grew up in the U.K amongst the Megadrive and SNES, I have good memories of the Amiga, Neo Geo and N64. Right now I am amazed by the 360.

Best Regards
karamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello from the West of Ireland!

Hi karamoon
How old are you kids?

And i take it you are not in to PC gaming then, just console?

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Matt.

Seems like you grew up in the same era of gaming that most of us here have!

In your opinion, what's the best 'collectible' you have so far?
Old 25-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Asylum.

And, Amiga?? Pffft. The Atari ST was WAY better.. lol..
Old 26-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all

atari St was the poor mans gaming machine

welcome btw
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
atari St was the poor mans gaming machine

welcome btw
i was poor i had one

welcome to the forums Karamoon
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
XPurple-PoisonX

Human Grunt
Forum Volunteer

XPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really nice

Welcome to the forums.
Old 14-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
karamoon

Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawsonuk View Post
Hey Matt.

Seems like you grew up in the same era of gaming that most of us here have!

In your opinion, what's the best 'collectible' you have so far?
Hello, thanks for the welcome! Best piece I own ... believe it or not the official Turrican Joystick. I got two of them from a chap in Germany, 3 years ago now. They are completely, genuinely unopened including Turrican 2 game for both Amiga and C64. I am a Turrican fan and even if they aren't in demand, I'm glad to have them!
Old 14-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
karamoon

Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
Welcome to the Asylum.

And, Amiga?? Pffft. The Atari ST was WAY better.. lol..
Hello, thanks for the welcome! I was in to M.I.D.I in a big way as a teenager, had Steinberg Pro24 running on my 1040st. The Atari was a fantastic tool for music.
Old 14-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
karamoon

Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Hi karamoon
How old are you kids?

And i take it you are not in to PC gaming then, just console?
Hi Rasher. our two are aged 3 & 1, got the eldest playing Mario64 the other week, weird to watch!! PC gaming, where do I start? I have fond memories of Doom, Command and Conquer even (wait for it) Cyberia. Never got into it in a big way because the consoles of the time had me hooked. Still I love my laptop now. Our first and only PC was a Mitac 486.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

They are in such a great place at that age
just try not to think of them growing up

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #13
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
They are in such a great place at that age
just try not to think of them growing up
'cos if they don't they'll fit right in round here
Old 17-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #14
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
i was poor i had one

welcome to the forums Karamoon
So did I.

It wasn't a tough choice between the two tbh. When they first came out the Atari was the only one you could plug into a TV. You needed a monitor for the Amiga.
I could afford the computer but not a monitor as well so it was the Atari for me.

It started life as a 520ST with a single sided disk but that went wrong and the replacement had a double sided one. Win!
Then I upgraded it to a 1042 merely by unsolderin g some holes on the motherboard and soldering in some basic ram chips I'd aquired from work.

It impressed me that there was no configuration required. It just saw the extra memory and used it. This was at a time when the PC had to be told about things like that using the manufacturers setup disk.