GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > Strategy

Old 05-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
BFME: Best and Worst Heroes?

Been spending all my games lately just focussing on the heroes.

I'm fairly sure that Gandalf is the best hero. When level 10, he is just so hard in battle, and has 2 stupidly good moves. The light of istari takes out 2 trolls in one go. His lightning strike took a Balrog down to the tiniest bit of health in one hit and the word of power (if thats what its called, cant quite remember) is a weapon of nuke proportions. The fact he is not only on horseback but the fastest horseback rider in the game also goes to his advantage. Has the usual hero powerups to make soldiers around him harder. Simply he rocks.

When playing as Rohan, i dont really bother with the rohan royalty anymore. they are simply not hard enough. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are 3 of the best heroes and i find that in a big battle, i always only end p with those 3 and the others die.

Theoden gets my vote for the worst hero. He has one good move, the Kings Charge which makes all units nearby to him only take 10% damage for a short period of time. Although this is an extremely powerful move if used correct, besides this he just seems to get killed to easily and takes ages to get levelled up.

I also dont think much to the Nazguls. especially not for the amount they cost.

What does everyone else think ?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really nice
Theodin, Aoemer and Aoewyn, levelled up with a group of riders or mounted archers makes them about the hardest units in the game due to the passive and active leadership bonuses. They do really suffer during any major unmouunted rumblings and therefore should never be taken out to do that sort of work save on spammed orcs or the like.

As an individual unit on foot, or on horseback tbh, Theodin prolly is the worst (bar say Gollum or the hobbits) but for some reason he seems to attract more attention then the other heroes if they're grouped which is weird.

There is no doubt in my mind Gandalf is the single best unit in the entire game for all the points you listed above Marc, and I can confirm that the Word of Power eliminates all Oathbreakers in the vicinity.

As a team Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli cant be beat for overall scraping abillity; they have everything. Gimli and Aragorn are both hard as nails melee fighters with great specials, and Legolas covers them from about 3 miles away. However, as I showed Piggy last night, sneak up on a busy Legolas, Istari Light, kill him, Lightning Sword Aragorn and Gimli, Word of Power, its all over for Aragorn and Gimli. However, well timed use of power ups from Aragorn and Gimli and Gandalf can get messed up pretty badly. But its safe to say in a one on one scrap, Gandalf > all.

The normal Nazgul are pants, unless they're teamed with the Witchking and they get some silly passive bonuses and can really take down some heroes. Istari Light is instant death though so stay well away from Gandalf.

Boromir is quite a heavy hitter but seems to not take a beating too well, but the Horn of Gondor can be useful for dealing with spammed orcs or similar. Can be useful but not overly imo, I just cant seem to get him levelled up as quickly as the other heroes. Captain of Gondor is quite handy though for getting troops levelled up. Farimir on horseback is nice to have in a group of knights as they get a nice passive bonus iirc. As a ranger he is great for scouting and the odd long range killing mission or wall mounted base defense, although nowehere near as effective as Legolas. As a soldier he does seem to take a beating better then Boromir, but doesnt hit as hard, he's ok in a pinch though. Imo, too verstile to be that effective in any one area. Also has the Captain of Gondor special which, as with Boromir, is useful.

Saruman is one of the fastest unmounted units in the game, has some reasonably powerful moves, isnt bad in a scrap and has the crazy Voice of Saruman special which is class when used correctly. He also has Speechcraft to give units experience and it seems the most effective version of that sort of special. Simply overshadowed by Gandalf overall imo, and doesnt stand up too well to Aragorn in a toe to toe. When teamed with Lurtz (notice the "i" is gone ) who can provide some cover and is the most powerful melee hero in the game when in Carnage mode, he doesnt fare too badly. Great against spammed orcs the pair of them. Lurtz's "Pin" move is excellent as well.

So overall, Gandalf is the most powerful hero, but all the others are pretty useful too in certain situations.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
I find Eomer is pretty handy in the early stages of a game; once he's got his Outlaw ability you can just charge him round the map with a couple of units of Rohirim and make some crazy money.

Saruman's fireball is particularly nice too and equals game over for any Eagles in the area
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
Sarumans fireball is good for seiges as well. gandalf hasnt got any moves that can take a door as far as i can remember
Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by monger
Sarumans fireball is good for seiges as well. gandalf hasnt got any moves that can take a door as far as i can remember
Lightning sword can in one go.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
monger

Alien Controller

well there ya go
Old 18-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
ned_dred

Scanner

ned_dred is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayspring
As an individual unit on foot, or on horseback tbh, Theodin prolly is the worst (bar say Gollum or the hobbits) but for some reason he seems to attract more attention then the other heroes if they're grouped which is weird.
the hobbits are quite useful and are easy to rank i took out 2 hordes of urukahi with a hobbit and nothing else (rank) 2 at that by the end it was rank 5 hobbits 4 eva!
ned_dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
monger

Alien Controller

im a fan of the hobbits now. they are shite compared to the other units but leave them on "throw rocks" and put them with a couple of normal infantry and they level up really quickly. once they get to about level 8 they can one hit kill any basic infantry units
Old 18-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Hobbits are good for spying, good for leaving next to an Outpost invisible so no-one can claim it and good for clearing Goblins from caves using the rock throw. Can scrap at lvl 10, but still not great, crap compared to other heroes of course.