Intel trying to steer the PC market to better things 4 16.00%
Tis a welcome addition, tbh the change is needed 2 8.00%
not to keen, im happy with ATX 9 36.00%
whats BTX ? 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
Question new BTX form factor ??

whats everyones opinion on the new form factor, im pretty pissed of with intel dictating the way, the PC market should go. i understand with what there trying to achieve (better cooling, space saving etc) but to me, it just seems to be another money spinner and them trying to proove there still on there game.

it gets me just knowing how much the market is gonna confuse the fook outta me when it hits our shores

i mean new cases, new boards, power supplies -all money, money, MONEY and then of course PCI express (but thas along way away)

i understand the PC factor hasnt changed that much in the 20 or so years of its history, but the form factor has ie -AT, ATX and standardised I/O panels -i just dont see why there has to be such a radical make over.

oh and the big ghay duct you have to install above the processor -i mean whats with taht ?

but any mobo that moves the Dimms away from the AGP has to be welcomed, right ??

linkys for info:
http://www.intel.com/update/contents/dt10031.htm
Old 29-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
ooooooook now that ive read what btx is i'd like to change my vote to the top 1 plzzzzzzzzz

first off

Quote:
and then of course PCI express (but thas along way away)
i think intel grantsdale chipset is gonna support PCI-E (altho i cant rmemeber and cant be arsed lookin it up) and that isnt toooooooo far off, and most new GPU's are gonna use it aswell as AGP...

tbh if my mobo was maximized for cooling i'd like it alot more...also a power supply without a billion wires would be nice...

and on another note, cases are that expensize, if u have a case like mine and alot of decent case manufacturers, they might sell the mobo trays seperately if u are changinh from atx to btw which would save alot of money and hassle

so any change that helps pc's is for the better
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
i don't understand the need for people to go on about new technology when we're not even hitting 4x AGP yet.. this is because of the bottleneck in the bus.. need a dual bus with more bandwidth and then we might be able to get somewhere in regards to CPU's i'm sure once 64bit CPU's get a foot hold they might break the 4x AGP barrier..
Old 29-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
NBK
Banned

NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
PCI-E is gonna completely replace current PCI and agp...technology needs to advance and it does it constantly...if u take the "we dont need it so why have it" new tech would come along alot slower and that just aint good
Old 29-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Jolt

Human Grunt

Jolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enough
Actually, PCI Express is already available on the Apple G5s afaik.
Jolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:53 AM   #6
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
actually J PCI-X shouldn't be confused with PCI Express...

the new G5's have 3 PCI-X slots

PCI Express

will allow high-end graphics cards and other interconnects such as USB (universal serial bus) 2.0 and Infiniband to communicate with PCs at 2.5Gbps per lane per direction.

PCI-X

is fully backwards-compatible with PCI, meaning that PCI-X cards can be plugged into PCI slots, and software written for PCI-X will work on PCI-equipped PCs. However, the PCI-X cards will exchange data at PCI speeds when plugged into PCI slots.

PCI Express is software-compatible with PCI, but represents a new direction for the hardware side of the technology, and PCI Express cards will not work in PCI slots. It is designed to be scalable, and is a serial I/O (input/output) technology.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #7
Jolt

Human Grunt

Jolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enough
Ah well, even I'm wrong occasionally
Jolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #8
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

Sin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really nice
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Tbh Intel piss3d up the Prescott, its running ALOT hotter than the previous P4's - With a 31 Stage Pipeline to push thier OH SO IMPORTANT clock speeds there pushing BTX more for thier own benefit.

Sure, lets advance the technology and all but NOT for the prime motives of Intel.

A change to BTX will screw over mostly everyones cooling solutions currently, Most importantly those with Vapochill style cooling.

The Head Unit would have to be moved, which means either A - Extension tubing provided by the manufacturers or B - a total re-design. AFAIK you cant run the compressor below the CPU head unit, as it leaves residue or something.

As bleecher said, new cases, PSU's, mobos and the alike.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
NBK
Banned

dunno what prescotts are gonna be like till the grantsdale/new socket type is here which is what the prescotts were really made for
Old 01-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
for those interested, ive got my mitts on a pdf document stating all sorts a BTX shite :
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...ication1.0.pdf

and form factors:
http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHard...rmFactor.shtml

i think intel know that there processors are gonna be wayyy to hot for future use on ATX specs, i think BTX is for there own benefit not anyone elses and there candy coating the change over. i have no doubt this will once again make intels extremely expensive and devide once again a gaming communtiy into several more fractions. casue i doubt AMD will need to change
Old 01-03-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
Bobster

Tentacle

my next rig is going to be a Dual Opteron system photoshop flies on Opteron and it hasn't even been 64bit optimised yet
Old 02-03-2004, 01:42 AM   #12
MaZ

Human Grunt

MaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura about
waste of dosh, stay with well designed ATX and yer fine.
MaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:40 AM   #13
Bobster

Tentacle

i could see a use for the design if we were going to be using 32Bit CPU's and get them past 5GHz etc. but as we're now heading the 64Bit route, i don't see the need for it..
Old 02-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
JoeH2k

Zombie

JoeH2k is an unknown quantity at this pointJoeH2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Havin a laugh aint they? nowt wrong with atx and ive never liked intel anywho

But on a serious note, i cant see me forking out for new kit, just coz Intel cant keep their cpus cool Yeah the technology looks good, but i aint gonna pay for new hardware.......

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all
im about 30years behind with pc so wont bother me
Old 02-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #16
NBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobster
i could see a use for the design if we were going to be using 32Bit CPU's and get them past 5GHz etc. but as we're now heading the 64Bit route, i don't see the need for it..
and how quick is the uptake of 64bit actually gonna be...sommat tells me it aint gonna be incredibely fast...

and joe just cuz u dont like intel (tbh theyve made really gr8 cpu's and their mobo chipsets make me drool) doesnt make btx a bad idea...tbh its due a re-design...and it'd be good for cooling new gpu's aswell
Old 02-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #17
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

Sin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really nice
Since when was it a D U E re-deisgn.

Intel piss3d up thier cpu, its running too hot they are trying to push a new form factor with all this (as bleecher said) candy coating.

My Gpu is cool enough, proably cooler than it needs to be.

Intel are stuck on the whole marketting of GHz. There aiming for the person who goes "OMG Look at that big number!!!"

Look at AMD, lower clock speeds, less heat SAME performance if not better.

AMD runs perfectly fine on the new form factor, It isnt a due change a tall.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:14 PM   #18
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
voted whats btx -

Im way behind in the pc technology.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #19
bleecher

Bullsquid

lol, theres a link on my first post dude -that shuld tell u everything
Old 02-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
JoeH2k

Zombie

JoeH2k is an unknown quantity at this pointJoeH2k is an unknown quantity at this point
NBK, i never said it was coz i didnt like intel, i said it was a factor

But tbh, i pay less for an athlon of the same performance.

And as with cooling, nowt wrong with cooling atm