GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 22-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really nice
Hardware | nVidia Corporation | Graphics Card Drivers

nVidia Forceware Drivers

This thread will be dedicated to nVidia drivers and feedback thereof. This thread will replace the current combined nVidia and ATi driver thread which will be closed and no longer kept updated, although will remain as a reference point for older drivers, basically anything dated before the first set posted here in.

I will try to cover official, beta and modified driver (of note) releases in this thread and give feedback and help on drivers where possible since I can test the new releases on the GeForce 6800GT in my main rig.

www.nvidia.com

Last edited by Nathan; 22-03-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really niceNathan is just really nice
nVidia Forceware 71.84 Official WHQL

nVidia Forceware 71.84 Official Release

Windows XP/2000

Version: 71.84
Release Date: March 11, 2005
WHQL Certified

U.S. English
File Size: 17.9 MB

» Download «

Release Highlights:

* Support for the GeForce 6200 with TurboCache™, NVIDIA PureVideo™, and NVIDIA SLI™
* SLI support for over 60 top games
* A CoolBits applet to allow users to easily add their own SLI application profiles for games that are not SLI certified
* Robust HDTV Display Setup and adjustments
* Multi-Display support for Windows Remote Desktop
* Improved compatibility with Windows Remote Desktop in multi-display modes
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 1.5 support

Been using these for the past week, and previously before they were released as a beta and have no problems. Some people are experiencing a temperature increase with these drivers, others are not. The problem is noted by Nvidia and it would appear that these drivers are safe to use as they have been officially released.

Tested in:

Halo PC
Half-Life 2
CS: Source
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Doom 3
Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth (antialising bug fixed)
Star Wars: Battlefront

Last edited by Nathan; 22-03-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

nVidia Forceware 76.41 beta release

Windows XP/2000

Version: 76.41
Release Date: March 17, 2005

Download @ Guru3D.com

Main release points of note:

* Open GL 2.0 implemented (requires Rivatuner to play Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay)
* Temperature bug issue fixed

No issues over the past few days except with playing Riddick which can be fixed by a simple Rivatuner tweak (forcing Open GL 1.5 instead of allowing Open GL 2.0) which should be addressed in a patch for the game as it is a fault on the game side, not the drivers.

Also the increased temperature reporting some users experienced is gone in most cases according to other feedback.

Tested and fine in the following:

Star Wars Rebuplic Commando
World of Warcraft
Half Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Doom 3
Painkiller
Lord of the Rings The Battle for Middle-Earth
Old 15-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Xtreme-G Forceware 76.41HD beta release

Windows XP/2000
Version: 76.41

Download @ Guru3D.com

* Open GL 2.0 implemented (requires Rivatuner to play Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay)
* Based on the 76.41 beta release

Xtreme-G release points of note

* Direct3D tweaks and optimisations
* Open GL tweaks and optimisations
* Optimised seprate installation sets for the following series':
- GeForce 6 Series
- GeForce GO series for laptops
- "Reborn" GeForce 3 / GeForce 4 specific
* Improved image quality

I dont normally do modded driver for my Nvidia card as I felt very comfortable doing many of the tweaks myself via Rivatuner, but after using these "XG" drivers has opened my mind slightly to what modded drivers offer. Very nice image quality, certainly more detail, but with a slight shimmering effect which I sorted out with a slight nudge to the RivaTuner LOD settings and a play with the filtering optimsations used. Was only apparent in certain games, most I tried are fine but its certainly worth a look at these if you have the time to change drivers.

Coming from the stock untweaked 71.84 drivers to these, the detail level in WoW has inproved tremendously with anisotropic filtering enabled.

Very nice installation package, setup files uninstall fine as do the driver them selves.

Would recommend using Driver Cleaner Pro (read the documentation fully) before installing these to avoid any issues.

Tested with:

World of Warcraft
Star Wars Republic Commando
LOTR:BFME
Halo
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #5
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nvidia Forceware 76.45 beta WHQL

Windows XP/2000
Version: 76.45

Download @ Guru3D.com

Simply excellent drivers with a marked improvement in performance over the official 71.89 release with no issues iv encountered as yet. Be aware these drivers are only WHQL certified for 6 Series cards. If you have a 6 Series card, I definately recommend you try these out. There is also a XG HD version of these drivers modded by the guys at tweakrus.com, will try those and report back when I get the chance.

Tested with:

World of Warcraft
Star Wars Republic Commando
Doom 3
Half Life 2
LOTR BFME
Old 07-05-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
OK, here's some comparative results with my 6800GT using Benchemall

Half life 2 Benchemall demo (a short sequence in the watery bit) 1024x768
Trilinear filtering, no antialiasing
Driver 71.84 33.01fps
Driver 76.45 27.19fps

Doom 3 demo1 1024x768
71.84 55.8fps
76.45 59.4fps

Far Cry Fort Demo Max settings 1024x768
71.84 49.61fps
76.45 52.75fps

Unreal Tournament 2004 max details settings 1024x768
botmatch demo combined score for 3 tests (individual test results detailed below)

71.84 109.51fps
76.45 108.13

dm-rankin:
71.84 160.11fps
76.45 158.45fps

as-convoy:
71.84 59.75fps
76.45 59.24fps

br-colossus:
71.84 108.67fps
76.45 106.7fps

Aquamark3, normal benchmark settings

71.84 59.17 average fps
76.45 59.46 average fps

I make that about an 8% increase in Doom3 and negligible differences in the other tests apart from a rather worrying 6fps drop in HL2, and presumably CS:S as well.

Hopefully there will be a stabilty increase.
I have been less than impressed with the Nvidia drivers since getting my 6800. Certainly either the card or the drivers are far less reliable than the ATI drivers I was using with my 9800pro.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute
guh ill post my self then =[
these are the important drivers =]

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
for x64 systems as well
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks
apart from a rather worrying 6fps drop in HL2, and presumably CS:S as well.
i cant help think you aint being sarcastic. 6fps? worrying?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Well 6fps represents about 10% on those figures so it is significant.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks
Hopefully there will be a stabilty increase.
I have been less than impressed with the Nvidia drivers since getting my 6800. Certainly either the card or the drivers are far less reliable than the ATI drivers I was using with my 9800pro.
Made me laugh...ur joking surely? The 9800 in my second rig is a bitch at times, as was removal and reinstallation of drivers on the X800, even these Nvidia beta drivers give me a fully stable gaming experience and can be easily removed, certainly moreso then the last few sets of Cats Iv tried. Different drivers react differently on different systems etc so its to be expected. Of course, as u said, it *could* be your card. :/

Also worth noting that at those settings in UT2004, the game is cpu limited and the differenence in driver performance could be down to simply efficiency so that test can be dismissed.

Whether antialiasing would show a difference in performance between the two, I dont know as I have 4x AA and 16x AF enabled full time (why would I have a 6800GT otherwise?), noticeable improvements in WoW and SW Republic Commando when action gets heavy (especially WoW) and HL2 certainly didnt seem any slower then it was, although I dont have any numbers to hand either way. These are certainly better then the official release on my rig and others, for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templ @ Guru3D.com
After doing some testing i noticed that my FPS were much higher in some games (i upgraded from 67.03).

Here are some examples (1280x1024, 2XAA, 16XAF, all settings in all games were set to highest quality):

- SP Chaos Theory (Bank level - outside):
67.03 - 27 FPS
71.89 - 32 FPS
76.45 - 38 to 40 FPS

- DOOM 3 (Timedemo):
67.03 - 88 FPS
71.89 - 90 FPS
76.45 - 92 FPS

- Half-Life 2 (Black Mesa East - Outside, looking to the right side of the water):
67.03 - 55 FPS
71.89 - 57 FPs
76.45 - 64 FPS

- SW: KOTOR (Dantooine - Sandral Estate):
67.03 - between 40 and 50 FPS
71.89 - 2 to 20 FPS (that's right)
76.45 - same as 67.03
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....&pagenumber=13

Shows nice increases in general, clearly some kind of bug in the 71.89 drivers in KOTOR so that can be ignored id wager as in the other Open GL game (Doom 3) the figures are far more consistent. Will have to install some benchies at some point and test them myself. Thanks for taking the time to do these tests Betty.

Last edited by Nathan; 07-05-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 23-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nvidia Forceware 77.72 WHQL candidate - official

Windows XP/2000 (also Windows 98/ME and Windows NT versions available)
Version: 77.72

Download @ Guru3D.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Release Summary
Along with the GeForce 7800 GTX release NVIDIA released a new ForceWare driver today. It's version 77.72 and it is a WHQL candidate (Microsoft submitted tested and approved).

Mirrors one and two point to NVIDIA, the other mirrors are Guru3D.com file-server. That file is just 11 MB as we recompressed it.

Release Highlights:

* WHQL Candidate
* Support for GeForce 7800 GTX and GeForce 6200 AGP
* Improved SLI performance and broader SLI validation and optimizations for the latest games
* Compatible with Intel and AMD dual core CPUs
* HDTV Display Setup Wizard with preview mode
* Fullscreen HDTV underscan control panel lets users optimize their high definition television for Windows desktops
* Allows end users to keep or remove old driver application profiles when the driver is updated
* Improved TurboCache™ performance
* Support for inverse 2-2 pulldown detection and correction when using the the PureVideo Decoder
* More control when creating custom timings for digital flat panels
* nView Desktop Manager support during Windows Remote Desktop sessions
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support
* For a full list of other issues resolved, please view the driver release notes.
Not tried these yet but will do as I get home and post some feedback.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #12
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
80.40's leaked

Latest Nvidia drivers leaked can be found on 3dchipsets

80.40's
MaddAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddAussie
Latest Nvidia drivers leaked can be found on 3dchipsets

80.40's
Hmmm, first impressions are good, just got 70k in Aquamark 3 at stock cpu and stock 6800 Ultra speeds. Thats pretty impressive, considering my personal best is with the X800 (at XT PE) for 72k, with the CPU at 3.75GHz and card 590/590 or so. Im impressed so far.

Will clean the thread up and post some more results at some point. Great find Mark.

And look at the new chips listed, hmmmm.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Bah! Dont work with BF2 on my system, ah well, back to the 77.72 for me then. :/
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Havent tried it yet, will do tomorrow
MaddAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #16
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayspring
Bah! Dont work with BF2 on my system, ah well, back to the 77.72 for me then. :/
Strange. Works fine on mine. In what way doesn't it work for you?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #17
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettox
Strange. Works fine on mine. In what way doesn't it work for you?
In the way that the loading bar went all the way up (after optimising shaders) and i was left looking at my desktop.

Not surprised really, 3D Mark 2005 crashed to desktop too, back to the 77.72 and all is well again. Reading Guru3D these are considered extremely beta, so i'll just hold off til another 80.xx set comes along.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Downloaded another set of the 80.40s and they seem to work fine (corrupt file somewhere on my first dl?) in BF2 and WoW with no issues. There are rumours circulating that the 80 series drivers were supposed to include the "multi threaded" driver setup, whether this is implemented on Hyperthreading cpus i dont know, but my Aquamark is quite a jump from the 77.72 drivers. Worth a go for sure.
Old 16-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #19
Nathan

Combine Soldier Elite

Nvidia Forceware 77.77

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.77.html

Release Highlights:

* Support for GeForce 7800 GT
* SLI support for GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 LE
* New SLI rendering mode (SLI Antialiasing) for increased antialiasing performance
* Broader SLI optimizations and validation for the latest games
* Resolved SLI Antialiasing issues with some applications and generating screen shots. For a full list of other issues resolved, please view the driver release notes.
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support

Will post more details when I get the chance, since I have the X800 in my main rig atm and I cba to turn on the other system I have no idea how they run. I doubt there is any huge performance increase from the previous set, more an adding of features as listed above.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #20
jellybaby

Baby Headcrab

jellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enoughjellybaby will become famous soon enough
Nvidia 81.84

http://download1.nvidia.com/Windows/...ernational.exe

Support of the play Black & White 2,
Support of the mixing of graphics boards of various manufacturers in SLI,
Dynamic activation of the SLI (not of necessary reboot),
Improvement of the performances for the processors dual-core the driver knowing to benefit from the second core,
Addition of désentrelacement video in HD with PureVideo,
Improvements of mode HDTV.