GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 24-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Physicist

Roller Mine

Physicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nice
Please suggest a cpu cooling fan

As the thread says, i have a stock cooler on my i7 2600K, finding its running very hot when i play fsx and bf3, can anyone suggest a plug in replacement for it as i found it all really confusing
MOBO P8Z68V

dont want to fit adapter plates just a squidge of thermal paste and new cooling fan.

please help

Dave
Old 24-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please suggest a cpu cooling fan

Budget? so when you say you dont want to fit adapter plates I assume you just want a cooler that uses the push pin fittings?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Physicist

Roller Mine

Physicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nice

rgr that plat, not to fussed about how much, i suppose max 50ish, its the best way i can think to spend my 1% pay rise next year
Old 24-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Ill have a look, what temps you getting BTW, you know them chips are fine up to like 75 degrees yea?

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 25-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Physicist

Roller Mine

getting about 80 -83 on FSX but have had 90 (cleaned the dust off and back to 80-83) on bf3 i get around 70-78 depending on ambient(but i have take the door off my case to get those temps, even after i have cleared all the other fans of dust.
Old 25-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Platinum
raggggggggge

The Intel ones are pretty shit tbh, Ones with mounting brackets are worth it, I saw as test somewhere a while ago in which they took a Stock Intel heatsink, modded it to work with a screw down bracket and found just by doing that it took 10 degress off the temps.
This was because of the better contact.

Not seen anything good of yet that uses push pins but ill keep my eye out mate

Old 25-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
The Intel ones are pretty shit tbh, Ones with mounting brackets are worth it, I saw as test somewhere a while ago in which they took a Stock Intel heatsink, modded it to work with a screw down bracket and found just by doing that it took 10 degress off the temps.
This was because of the better contact.

Not seen anything good of yet that uses push pins but ill keep my eye out mate
This, clip on heatsinks are so bad. You could actually get a all in one water cooler for that monies.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...-hydro-coolers
AMD R9 290X @ 1100/1420MHz
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Corsair Vengeance C70 Black
Gunner002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner002 View Post
This, clip on heatsinks are so bad. You could actually get a all in one water cooler for that monies.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...-hydro-coolers
Which requires a bracket...

Old 25-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Which requires a bracket...
Yeah I realize that but, I say stop being lazy and fit a proper cooler .
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Old 25-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Platinum
raggggggggge

What is it with people of late, water cooling water cooling, as yet no one as managed to give me one good reason to go water over a good 25 air cooler unless you plan to clock the nuts off it.

And don't give me the "It will prolong the life of the CPU" shite, I am sure taking the lifespan from 10 years to 15 will make a huge difference to you

/rant

Old 25-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

Back on topic, Scan have a few options :

Akasa Venom : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa...66-am2-am3-fm1

Titan Skali : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/titan...66-775-am2-am3)

Old 25-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Gunner002

Antlion

Quote:
What is it with people of late, water cooling water cooling, as yet no one as managed to give me one good reason to go water over a good 25 air cooler unless you plan to clock the nuts off it.

And don't give me the "It will prolong the life of the CPU" shite, I am sure taking the lifespan from 10 years to 15 will make a huge difference to you

/rant
Aha very true, but come on if you own a K series cpu, should be overclocking the tits off it, or why buy the K version?
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Old 26-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Platinum
raggggggggge

The 2600k I have in my server? it was in my PC until I upgraded it then got moved into my second machine which is not getting overclocked, why the hell would I overclock my server???

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Physicist

Roller Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner002 View Post
Aha very true, but come on if you own a K series cpu, should be overclocking the tits off it, or why buy the K version?
Im too scared to turn my 2600k up coz its running too hot now
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
Gunner002

Antlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
Im too scared to turn my 2600k up coz its running too hot now
Because you've got a pants cooler on it .
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Platinum
raggggggggge

Did you get a new cooler for it mate?

Old 20-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Physicist

Roller Mine

hi plats, just about to order the as aka venom, to give it a go. also another quick question, aim running two 300 GB hdd and aim going to upgrade to a large 2TB hdd and was also thinking about putting a ssd in for the os and running my fsx off it. worth bothering with ssd and is it easy to set up?

thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 20-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Platinum
raggggggggge

Yes yes yes!, SSD is the best upgrade ever!

Old 20-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
Gunner002

Antlion

Quote:
Yes yes yes!, SSD is the best upgrade ever!
This, easy one of the best buys I've made.
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU