GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 08-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light
Re: GameOn & CCL Gaming Rig - Starter Kit Spec

No OS included, but at just above 500 I think there is space for it in the budget

Interesting Plat you included a soundcard in the budget rig, which in Windows Vista will be wasted?

I'm a bit out of touch with how much wattage is needed these days, so I copied Nex and plumped for 600W, though with my prefered brand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ccl_pob_starter.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	19688  
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Explain how it will be wasted?, and if you mention the removal of the HAL then I deduct you one internets , if anyone decides to go with the onboard sound over a add in card purly because they think its wasted on Vista they really need to do some reading up

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Explain how it will be wasted?, and if you mention the removal of the HAL then I deduct you one internets , if anyone decides to go with the onboard sound over a add in card purly because they think its wasted on Vista they really need to do some reading up
Cheap Sound card compared to HD Onboard system run via digital will not give you that great a difference, and will only save you a few frames a second in most games.

It will only make a difference if you start spending money on a speaker system that costs at the minimum 1/5 or 1/6 the cost of that entire build.

Well thats what I thought anyway, sound card is my next by though lol.

Oh and why has the edit/save edit button been replaced with Vote now?
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #24
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Onboard vs cheap XFI makes a massive difference.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that getting a soundcard is worthwhile in a powerful gaming rig, but in a budget rig I would have thought that money - in this case 60 - can be better spent (frame wise) elsewhere, like on extra LED's
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #26
Platinum

Tentacle

Adding the sound card has nothing to do with FPS, its more to do with the audio quality , Onboard sound is the wrost quality you can get, absolutly crap.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #27
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Adding the sound card has nothing to do with FPS, its more to do with the audio quality , Onboard sound is the wrost quality you can get, absolutly crap.
I don't necessarily agree with that completely. Sound card takes away load from the CPU/mobo and does actually make a difference to you fps, admittedly not a very big difference but still a difference.

Also onboard really depends on the chip in question. Some aren't actually that horrificly bad, and playing your speakers through the digital port will reduce that terribleness. Like I said also, not worth it unless you have teh money to get a decent set of headphones, or a decent set of speakers.

Good discussion on here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=174494

But off topic anyway.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #28
Platinum

Tentacle

Snoozer back me up on this!, With todays hardware the difference in FPS is not that much.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #29
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

My mate is running optical (which is what I meant when I was saying Digital, sorry) with his Logitech Z5500s and is using the DAC of the Logitechs, wgich basically completely bypasses any onboard or any sound card. This is because the signal isn't processed by any sound card and is alwyas processed by the external amps DAC, as it is a digital signal.
Old 15-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #30
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

anyone care for an up-to-date recommendation? no idea what im looking at these days
Old 15-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #31
Platinum

Tentacle

Were winners picked on this? what's happening with the specs?

Old 15-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #32
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

my go then :

Bit shy of the target amount (get a monitor with the change)

AMD Athlon X2 5050e Dual Core CPU
Code# CPU4561 46.43

Foxconn A78AX-K Motherboard
Code# MBD4978 55.91

Sony AD-7201S-0D 20x LightScribe DVDRW
Code# CDR5244 17.05

380W Seasonic S12II Power Supply
Code# PSU0132 51.89

Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case
Code# CAS0160 67.54

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium64 Bit (OEM)
Code# SFT0053 82.95

4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Kit
Code# RAM7514 36.98

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Code# VGA5170 97.74

500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5" Hard Disk Drive
Code# HDD0143 38.49

Total (including shipping) : 436.50
Old 15-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wouldn't bother with buying a copy of vista now windows 7 is so close.

If I was you id dl the free rc1 copy of windows 7 from Microsoft that runs till June 2010 I believe it is and then get a copy of that.
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #34
Platinum

Tentacle

Good point there, Wedgeh take note when buying your new box

Old 15-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #35
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

Quick knock up for you going on the basis you use windows 7 as your os.

If you go for a cheaper case and drop the power supply to the 400w version I recon you could just about stretch to a radeon 4870 on your budget which would make it a really good system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mong.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	19945  
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #36
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute

if you buy a copy of Vista before a certain date, they give you a free upgrade to 7 anyway..
Old 16-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #37
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
if you buy a copy of Vista before a certain date, they give you a free upgrade to 7 anyway..
Only the premium versions if what I've been reading is right.
Old 16-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
Platinum

Tentacle

But isn't Windows 7 going to cost less than Vista currently does?, might as well wait.

Old 16-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
But isn't Windows 7 going to cost less than Vista currently does?, might as well wait.
From what I have gathered, no, and if it does, it won't be by much at all.
Old 16-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #40
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsLiNgEr View Post
Only the premium versions if what I've been reading is right.
It's not yet been officially announced yet afaik but it's meant to be:

Bought between July 1st this year till January sometime next year.

Vista Home Premium -> Can't remember which one this upgrades to
Vista Business -> Windows 7 Professional
Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Ultimate

I'll be grabbing a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OEM, hopefully it'll be around 100 like Vista was when I got it OEM.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote