GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Software Discussion

Software Discussion Discuss Software and ask for unsupported help

Old 10-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
ViperGTSR

Scanner

ViperGTSR is an unknown quantity at this point
Web-development Software

Does any know of any good web-development software. I have Macromedia Pro bundle , NoteTab Lite, and a bunch of others but I can find any that are easy to use and have LOTS of options and power. The Macromedia Pro is easy to use except for the flash part. That stuff is so complicated. Any help?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
ViperGTSR

Scanner

Another thing too is, how could I get the phpbb2 forums login to work with the whole site?... or just get a code or w/e to intergrate with it? So if some one makes an account it goes and tracks them through the whole site and etc.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:29 AM   #3
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
Dreamweaver MX 2004 is brilliant for people starting out with development or for pr0's that want control of their work file wise.

I personaly hand code most things and use the odd tool in dreamweaver for pre-vis and table work.

TextPad is a very good editor and viewer for source code and is a programmers best friend when it comes to source syntax highlighting.

There are many applications you can use everyone has favourites, however for the last 5 to 6 years I've been a macromedia and textpad fanboy

As for making phpBB login work for entire site, you would need to spend months of time recoding nuke to get that to work. Its not simple. Google might help find someone who has already achieved such a task and its more than likley GPL (freeware).

Happy Coding

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:28 AM   #4
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
I work the same way as kyle and use packages like Dreamweaver, Frontpage and Adobe CS for formating and making tables. Most of the code is by hand

Ultraedit is a fantastic editor - its like notepad on steroids. It can partialy read code and put parts of it in different colours on the screen so it is easier to find errors and work with the code.
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
phunky

Vortigaunt

phunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the rough
Kyle, he dont state anything bout nuke? If he's just wanting to have the PHPBB login and Auth stuff on the home page then all he really needs to do is to pull out the Auth/Login Code from the correct .tpl file in PHPBB.

But im guessing the guy cant even code a HTML table on his own, but anyways as for software i just use Dreamweaver in Code View and PhotoShop CS dont use anything else but them.

To be honests the best thing you could do fella is go learn HTML properly and dont look for Apps with "options and power"
phunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
i use Dreamweaver- Freehand- Flash- ImageReady- for webwork - never use ImageReady HTML for web as it sux big style - plan the site - chop with Imageready and then import the images into Dreamweaver

i'm still crap @ the whole CSS site thing tho' must try and spend a day working it all out
Old 11-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
Punkey, I know that ViperGTSR was after our Free Clan Hosting package which offers nuke and phpBB pre-installed. Thus my comments.

I agree that actually learning HTML and web based language syntax and methodologies is the route I would follow but its not everyone's cup of tea.

There is nothing wrong with empowering the features of dreamweaver to create dynamic apps when your not a code guru. Thousands of good sites are developed and maintained using macromedia's friendly products. For businesses for example, they can employ a person with bearly any experience with programming and get them to create a dynamic and managable site with MX studio without having to do a line of code. Then sister applications like contribute can be used anyone within a company to update and manage a site. How much of a time and money saver can you get? Its like the whole ethos of windows, all its takes is common sense and you can do virtually anything with it.

I remeber about 6-7 years ago using beta releases of ultradev to make basic dynamic sites and pulling the code it generated to bits to figure out what/how things were happening. Its a good way to learn. Its important however not to learn the formating or methods that applications use as its generally very bad.

Wrox have a vast collection of books on everything programming, well worth checking out for someone looking to get serious about learning to program for the web.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Old 11-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
phunky

Vortigaunt

phunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the roughphunky is a jewel in the rough
First off, fo with the Punkey!!! :P

Guess so, my problem is that as i moved away from using dreamweaver properly at around version 4, ive lost track of how well they have update there application side of the product.

I mean when i was learning PHP i used Dreamweaver to connect to the database and pull all the needed stuff out! it was great! But when our PHP guy looked over the code he nearly cry'd his eyes out!

As for the PHPBB/Nuke stuff im sure theres some PHPBB Mods released for merging it with Nuke! i cant rember what they called it but theres a few of them i belive,
phunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Indeed >>Phunky<< *ahem* my bad... WYSISYG applications code always make programmers cry hehe... but still for companies/people who know nothing of coding or want to know nothing but still want dynamic sites it a good in-between.

I was under the impression that there had been a few nuke/phpBB mods but wasn't sure.

Anywho, good luck to viper

Achtung Baby!

Old 11-06-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
i uses dreamweaver. its good for lazy table work as kyle previously said but the way you can organise your site and pages is very usefull. i think it helps to have the code/design view so you catch switch between code and code/design to get an idea of what is happening on the page. this is very usefull for beginners. you have to learn early to not reply on the wysiwig part as its not too clever even on latest versions of dreamweaver and can make a 40kb file out of a 10kb file by repeating things unnessarily. looking at my old code, i find things like <font color=000000></font><strong></strong><font color=000000>hello</font> and it really builds up. i think there may be a "remove useless tags" option on it but ive never ventured that far. as for using programming language, i think its code based all the way. php nuke is good for people who want a site but dont want to actually learn php but you only really know your site inside and out if you code it from scratch. its also always easier to modify or add to your own code.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
^SwITcH^

Combine Soldier

^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough
I use Dreamweaver - and my opinion is that of the consensus - it's great for easy table creation and I used it a lot to create logins and stuff which I then pulled apart to learn it (although it's formatting etc is very poor still).

Totally agree with Kyle about Textpad - once you've used it you wonder how you ever lived without it ... well worth the registration fee !

Best advice is start with HTML ... read all you can and get to a point where you can understand it (the tags and structures) ... and then progress on to using the more advanced functions.

Good Luck matey.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:10 PM   #12
MaZ

Human Grunt

MaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura about
notepad mother****er, im bad
MaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
Mr_Meeker

Bullsquid

Mr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of lightMr_Meeker is a glorious beacon of light
i use dreamweaver, just cos i like the way it highlights the code and its easier to look through, i got into the habit of coding everything straight away myself from the tables to css, although my knowledge only goes as far as html and css atm so i need to do some learning i think :E
Mr_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #14
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
I've used and recommend

Notepad - Best place to start

CuteHTML - In the early free days was a decent colour coding HTML writing program, now like a lot of decent stuff, it has a price tag and bloated to buggery

Textpad - Have used slightly, but again pretty decent

Dreamweaver 4,Dev, MX - used all variations of this package. Due to my knowledge of HMTL I would blast out the page using the Wysiwyg and strip the unrequired crap from the code manually.

TopStyle - Quality Stylesheet program, helps visualise what your stylesheets are going to affect.

hope this helps

PS I wouldnt touch FrontPage with a shitty stick.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
none of you guys used Ultraedit then ?

http://www.ultraedit.com/
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #16
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

LOL @ Teddox p1mping his hardcore UltraEdit skillz hahahaha, used it but prefer Textpad, might consider going back for seconds but... textpad is ample and I likes it and know it well.

TopStyle... class program for CSS, that is what bob needs! Used it in the past but now prefer manual coding of css because of the size of em.

Shaaaping!

P.S. Maz you bad mofo... notepad sucks wang! Use a real mans editor like vim... bin bash bong bing... mmmm redbull rocks.

Achtung Baby!

Old 11-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
MaZ

Human Grunt

MaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura about
well since i've switched to linux i now use nano... vi is gay with my keyboard shortcuts so i cant do anything, whereas nano works
Its still just as hardcore.... and i use lynx for testing
MaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:24 PM   #18
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

ROFL @ lynx for testing!

I use vmware for my linux needs and it stays strictly CLI only, works very well. 0.000001 page loads are nice Having a replica of the GO server on your desktop speeds up devel like 5000%

When people see you messing with other OS's inside your own OS it class... there like wtf is that a BIOS in side your computer??!?! OMG!!!!1111

Achtung Baby!

Old 11-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #19
ViperGTSR

Scanner

Thumbs up

WOW! I never thought that I would get such a feed-back... I mean damn.

See I like to hand-code everthing with NotePad almost all the time. Then there is nothing in my way. Its all code.

I like to consider myself as "ok" with any web-design or other web related project. I have used NoteTab (different than NotePad that comes with Windows) which is very nice and simple. Try it.

I actually just got a day ago Adobe GoLive CS. It doesn't look as powerfull as the Macromedia Pro pack (with Dreamweaver) but does do a nice job. Take look: http://www.geocities.com/blackstarbikes. The kid that made it is only 2yrs older than me (Im 16) and said thats all he used and the Adobe Image Ready. Note bad eh?

One thing is that I can hardly ever use programs to help me. I only seem to like n00b like programs or all-out hand coding. Its like they don't feel "natural", if you know what I mean.

Anotherthing about the password stuff: Does PHP NUKE do basicaly what I want? All I want is like this site has, it shows you logged on even on the index page, and you can access stuff if your logged in from anywhere on this website.

Thanks for the info all.

NOTE:

Checkout my site (link is in my sig). That was all done with NotePad and LOTS searching for scripts.

If you like any of the scripts just ask, its easier for you to just ask then to rip my site apart.

Last edited by ViperGTSR; 11-06-2004 at 10:17 PM.
ViperGTSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #20
Oddie

Manhack

Oddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura aboutOddie has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyRuxspin
none of you guys used Ultraedit then ?

http://www.ultraedit.com/
yeah for just a few years
since version 3.0