GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 26-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Laptop Help

Hi guys, I'm a little outdated now when it comes to laptops.

Looking for a laptop for the missus. No serious gaming, but needs to be able to play World of Warcraft on mid-to-high settings.

Don't want to pay top dollar for extreme hardware that is above and beyond our requirements, or buy something cheap that turns out to be sub-par.

So does anyone have any recommendations for me (or can translate Warcrafts desktop system requirements to laptop-equivalent hardware)?
Old 26-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about
Re: Laptop Help

I bought the Mrs an AMD a10 based Packard Bell a couple of years back that plays WoW, FFXIV, Aion and rift without chucking a fit too hard. considerign that it's not available anymore you could do a LOT worse than this little beaut from lenovo.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/59408...s_1536153.html

6GB of Ram, a quad core A10, a 1TB hdd and a 2GB 8570M will see you right for quite a while.

Not bad at all for a shade under 440 quid

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 26-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold

That's more than we were hoping to spend mate, budget is under £350. As I say, the only gaming that would be done on it is World of Warcraft. Would something like the following do the job?

HD Pavilion 15-n265sa - Integrated HD4400 graphics will apparently do the job according to forums, but don't know about the rest - especially concerned if an i3 will do the job.

Having looked at a couple of things I'm concerned that my (by which I mean the missus') budget is too low for the requirements...
Old 26-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

that should do the job for you as long as you kill off all the HP junk that it somes pre installed with. Just leave the recovery manager and uninstall everything else.

I'm massively biased against intel video hardware thanks to Tim Sweeney and having been burned by them about a decade ago.

Quote:
"Intelís integrated graphics just don't work. I don't think they will ever work."
Tim Sweeny, CEO Epic Megagames and creator of the Unreal Series

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 27-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Acelister

Tentacle

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all

You should definitely try and get a seperate graphics card, as on-board ones don't have the same wack.
Old 27-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Misterwoot

Manhack

The A10 you get in laptops is almost as powerful as the one in desktops though.
My latest desktop build is an a10-7700k which has a 6 core r7 glommed onto the die next to the 4 cpu cores. You can easily get an A10 based laptop with comparable power for your price bracket with a bit of searching Ewok.

That said, this new toy eats just about anything I throw at it right now so you may want to look at something with a little less grunt

Old 27-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Ewok

Human Grunt

Cheers for the responses guys, however the missus has done a U-turn and decided that instead if getting a laptop she wants to move the 'spare' desktop in to the living room. However, this has been helpful as I'll likely be investing in a laptop for myself in the next few months.
Old 27-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Misterwoot

Manhack

One thing I cannot stress enough is if you can get a chance to play with it first, do so.
Some of them have SHOCKING keyboards!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Calmine

Human Grunt

Calmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enoughCalmine will become famous soon enough

I personally wouldn't recommend a A10 laptop, their performance is lacking (pretty much i3 speeds) and while the onboard GPU is decent I'd rather go with a Intel i5 4200U or similar.

One very popular laptop which is not that much more than the one Misterwoot recommended is the Lenovo Ideapad Z50-70 it's available on Ebuyer for £549.99.

Specs are:

Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz
8GB RAM + 1TB HDD
15.6" FHD + NVIDIA 820M
Webcam + Bluetooth
Windows 8.1 64bit

Bargain in comparison.