Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #41
chaucolai

Scanner

chaucolai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Nintendo DS Lite Broken Hinge Scenario

Quote:
Rasher
Tony, been looking on eBay, and there is quite a number of kits
If you want to buy any of them kits, and post your DS off to me, i would be happy to fix it for you (for free).
Can I take you up on that offer?

Nah but seriously.

I got a mate that's got two NDS lites - a salmon pink and a white one. The whites broken though (that she got first, she only got the pink one to replace the white but kept it) with the whole broken hinge (right side with the LEDs too.)
We're in NZ, apparently her mother phoned up and since it was literally JUST over warranty it would cost a small fortune to fix it. (Though reading the posts, I have a feeling that even if it was under warranty they would be lucky to get it done for free) and so now she's offering to sell it to me (the DS, charger + Sims 2 Pets) for NZD$100. So looking on TradeMe and eBay I've decided that's quite good *gasp* so.. looking for some pernament way to fix it.
Never unscrewed anything in my life that wasn't made to be unscrewed... I don't want to buy something for $100 (keep in mind I'm only just a teen and can't get a job) just to **** it up and have $100 down the drain. Looking at all the self-repair sites, they look confuzzling.

Does anyone know a decent, easy-to-follow repair site that even a young girl with no practical hardware skills could follow to repair a broken hinge? Still have the broken hinge, willing to fork out some money for a new shell on eBay... help?
chaucolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #42
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

First thing's first, how's your dexterity? The guide I followed was this one on youtube
but a friend has the original images, which are higher resolution I could get and post them for you.

Changing the case is fiddly and takes patience. That said, I'm not the most dextrous or handy of people, but I have experience of working on computers which helped.

Do you know anybody that has this experience that would, at least be willing to sit with you to assist? It's a quite rewarding experience once it's done knowing that you've taken it apart and rebuilt it (minus the obligatory screw or two...j/king).

I've found this one on youtube that seems a lot more comprehensive than the one I used

This site seems to have a lot of information on it http://www.nds-central.com/

Ultimately I think what I'm saying is, if you have a little confidence, and a little help on hand, it's not too hard, but it will take TIME (4-5 hours for me if i remember correctly) and it is fiddly. There are a couple of bits that are a pain, and without patience and a steady hand might prove difficult.

I would just like to put s disclaimer here though, that if you do decide to do it, and can't get it back together, it's up to you.

My views, no one else's

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 7x400 @ 2.8Ghz // Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro // 4Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400 1:1 5-5-5-18 // Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 // BFG GeForce 8800GT OC2 675/1950/1674 // 750Gb Total Storage // LG 194WT 19" Widescreen Monitor
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #43
chaucolai

Scanner

chaucolai is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm decent at that, I've been told that playing the piano helps for some strange reason
My dad also works with cars and bikes and builds and stuff for a hobby, he might be able to help, but he's also technophobe.. so that could be a problem.
I dunno really, I'm planning to take apart a spare Nokia phone to try and repair the screen - a loss that will suck, but as it doesn't work and never really has, if I destroy it it doesn't matter, so I'm going to see whether I can manage that.

Thanks for the videos, will be sure to check them out.
chaucolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #44
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

good luck! Let us know how you get on, and feel free to ask any more questions/shout for help if you get stuck!
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #45
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi chaucolai
Would be more than happy to help out
Post a reply back in here if you still need help and i will send you my contact details.

also a thanks to Ed for posting the videos

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #46
daviddwilson

Scanner

daviddwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerKid View Post
Just a little MSN convo we had
yes m8, fully aware the lite is the new version,
it was you asking what a NDS was for some reason not me
daviddwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #47
daviddwillson

Scanner

daviddwillson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNTOXiCATiON View Post
Edit, Interstingly enougth, could some one point me in the direction this was a multi location issue as in, was it european consoles or just american consoles that suffered from this ?
This very thing happened with my little sisters ds, i thought she had just been rough with it till now.

She got a mate to try and fix it though, so now its knackered
daviddwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
[GO]DARK

Houndeye

[GO]DARK is an unknown quantity at this point

I fix Nintendo ds lites all the time.
I have gone self employed doing it, Gotta love kids throwing them about lol.

I buy them of ebay cheap rebuild and sell them on.
If you have kids under 7 try to get the ds Original I sell more of them than ds lites, they are more drop resistat and are good at falling down stairs just ask my son lol.

If you need a hand with anything you can send me a emither to GODARK@YAHOO.COM
[GO]DARK is offline   Reply With Quote