View Single Post
Old 16-03-2004, 01:39 AM   #5
Namer

Manhack

Namer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura about
Working as a computer operator running 24 hour shifts has some advantages. Typically, because you and your collegues are there ALL the time, your company gets you to monitor EVERY computer/network/security system that they run. This means that if anything goes wrong with a system you have the power to call up the person who looks after a particular system at any time - day or night.

At my last company (Penno keep quiet about this please!) there were several people who were quite adept at p***ing me about during the day. So, those same people got calls at around 3am/4am in the morning on a Sunday morning (after a good skinfull the night before) telling them that their system was playing up/down/about to go down and they needed to look at the problem NOW!.

There was mention in a different thread that you should never upset your sys admin - well I say, never upset your computer operators that monitor all your systems 'coz we can screw you just as much as your sys admins can(especially when your sys admins start offloading their work onto you 'because you're there all the time')

C2D 4400 @2.8Ghz, 6gb corsair xms ram, 160Gb h/d and 240Gb h/d, 1x XFX 4850 and, of course, water cooled. Currently dual booting XP and windows7 RC.
Namer is offline   Reply With Quote