GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
New passport? That'll be 100 please

Quote:
Passport fees to jump by a third to more than 100 to pay for fingerprinting

The fee for a new passport is set to rise by a third to over 100, Jacqui Smith has disclosed.

The Home Secretary also revealed that the cost to taxpayers of new identity cards will double from 30 to 60.

The huge rises were necessary to pay for taking facial readings and fingerprints for new biometric passports and ID cards.

The controversial cards aim to replace bank statements, driving licences and birth certificates for anyone looking to confirm their identity. However, critics have lambasted them for being costly, invasive and unnecessary.

Miss Smith said: "As we move from this foundation to higher volumes, a dramatic increase in the provision of biometric enrolment services will be required.

"From 2012 identity and passport service estimates that around seven million UK residents will apply for a card or a passport - with each person having to provide their fingerprints, photograph and signature in person.

"That will create a market that could be worth something in the region of 200million a year."

This means that the additional cost of a biometric passport or identity card will be 28 each, on top of the 72 charge for a new passport. The cost of paying for an identity card will jump from 30 to 58.

The fee for a new passport has increased fourfold in the past 10 years, from 18 in 1997 to 72 today. If the fee in 1997 had increased by the annual rate of inflation it would be 23.67 today.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rprinting.html
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New passport? That'll be 100 please

ID cards can **** right off, moneygrabbing ******s

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

That's rediculous...

100??

Some people don't and can't spend money like that. As if travel didn't cost enough

TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
fuKKer

Human Grunt

fuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jacqui Smith gave a speech today at midday on ID cards to an audience invited by the Social Market Foundation, at the end of the event the glass she was drinking from during the Q & A was whisked away* by a NO2ID sympathiser. This picture was taken this lunchtime - the glass is now undergoing a technical process at an undisclosed location. This will not only identify Big Jacqui's fingerprints, it will allow them to create a plastic foil stamp that will enable anyone to leave her fingerprints behind. Last March German hackers cloned the German Interior Minister's fingerprints.

The picture above shows the glass sitting on top of the speech she has just delivered assuring us that biometric data will be secure. See also here and here for more details on the hunt for Jacqui's fingerprints
http://www.order-order.com/2008/11/h...tric-data.html

OWNED

I hope they leave her fingerprints at the scene of a crime somewhere, obviously i don't want to see her goto jail for something she hasn't done but it would be great to see the fallout from it

I purposely applied for my passport before all the biometric sh!t came into play a few years ago and i plan to hold off as long as possible, ie never
fuKKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Gambit

Human Grunt

Gambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enoughGambit will become famous soon enough

Personally i'm seriously grateful that the army pays for mine, or i'd never be leaving Britain ever again...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

I needs a new passport if I ever want to leave this island
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcessNeo View Post
I needs a new passport if I ever want to leave this island
100 is small price to pay for 10 years of coming and going.

costs me more in a marriage.....ba bum tschhh

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Blondie

Fast Headcrab

Blondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to beholdBlondie is a splendid one to behold

Agreed 100 for a new passports = 10 a year. Not bad tbh.

However I don't pay for either of my passports because of my job.

The Future Mrs Roger Mellie
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute

It was always north of 100 if you wanted the next day service anyway?
Again, I was fortunate in that the company paid for me to have mine renewed, and also, the biometric part is *well* worth it when you get back to Heathrow at 11pm on a Thursday night and a plane from Ghana has just filled the arrivals hall, as you can just walk up to the IRIS booth, and walk straight through
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

If you own an Italian Identity card you can travel anywhere in Europe. It costs 8 Euros...
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #11
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
If you own an Italian Identity card you can travel anywhere in Europe. It costs 8 Euros...
surely therein lies the problem...you need to be italian..

while the members here are varied races, welsh, scot, dark elf etc...dont think many tick the italian stallion boxes.

or was that a price comparison post?

if so how long is it valid for?

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
surely therein lies the problem...you need to be italian..

while the members here are varied races, welsh, scot, dark elf etc...dont think many tick the italian stallion boxes.

or was that a price comparison post?

if so how long is it valid for?
You can be another nationality, just residing in italy. You can also get one if you're an Italian abroad (i.e I could get one).

It was more a price comparison post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The card has a validity of 5 years; the expiry date is reported on the fourth page. The ID number is two letters followed by seven or more digits, and is unique; it is reported on both the first and fourth pages.

In Italy, an ID card is the most important document of a citizen. It can be used as a valid identification to create a bank account, to validate a credit card transaction, to vote (mandatory, together with proper Voter Card), to check in on all flights for either domestic or EU destinations, etc.; the Identity Card is also used in lieu of the Passport to enter all European Union-member Countries and others in the European area, including Switzerland. It can be replaced with other documents, including the driving licence, for all of these uses except for voting and for leaving the Country, when it's mandatory to display the Identity Card (along with the Passport if the citizen is leaving Italy for a non-EU destination)
Passports are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikidpedia
Italian passports are issued to Italian citizens to travel outside of Italy. For travelling within the European Union, Italian citizens can use their ID card.

Biometric passports are available since October 26, 2006. They are valid for a period of 10 years and they cost 44.66 (32 pages) or 45.62 (48 pages), and one "tax mark" that costs 40.29.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Colio

Garg

Thats very interesting snoozer.

I suspect the national ID scheme planned for the UK would operate similar to that in Italy (allowing travel to europe)...but at around 50 a head for the card even thats high.

Given the amount of people in the UK you would think that demand would be enough to reduce costs....but then again we're not called rip off britain for nothing.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
You can be another nationality, just residing in italy. You can also get one if you're an Italian abroad (i.e I could get one).
Afaik the national ID cards of any European country are good enough to pass freely between them (with the exception of the UK)?
My colleague (who's Spanish) has a Spanish ID card that gets her into any of the Eurozone countries.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
100 is small price to pay for 10 years of coming and going.

costs me more in a marriage.....ba bum tschhh
Actually yea 10 years that is a sound investment.

I wasn't sure exactly how long passports lasted (didn't think they went on quite that long).
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
olobley

Antlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcessNeo View Post
Actually yea 10 years that is a sound investment.

I wasn't sure exactly how long passports lasted (didn't think they went on quite that long).
Isn't the Biometric bit only valid for 2 or 4 years or sth?