GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 20-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Roger_Mellie
Banned

Roger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Someone's nicked the forums!

Oh no. It's ok. It was hiding under the FEAR 2 trailer.

It's a bit big, no?
Roger_Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Someone's nicked the forums!

Yeah its a pain on my laptop can we have an option to turn it off? If I wanna watch videos I'll follow the link
Old 20-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

I just logged in and though eek what the hell?! Its huge!!
Old 20-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

its a paid sponsored link
messing around with different sizes at the moment on the dev site
but you must understand that paid stuff comes 1st

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of

Yeah thats understandable
Just Didnt expect to see a rather large fugly undead thing as i logged in!
Old 20-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

http://noscript.net/ -

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

maybe people can release some of the attitudes we have to put up with now
we are trying to pull in money, we haven't tried to rip anyone off here
just pulling in something to help pay towards things

Neg repped colio for being a dick when we are trying to make some money

Follow me on Twitter
Old 20-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Angelfromabove

Antlion

Thats fair enough Have you ever thought of doing a donation thing? I know a few forums use it and it seems to work? I know i would donate something. Sorry if im sticking my nose into matters that dont concern me.
Old 20-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite big, lost half the screen at home and I run a 24" screen on my work screen when I hit new posts all I see is the top 3. Anyhow its not my site its Rashers so its up to him to do what he feels he needs to do to make GO finacialy viable, I understand that money has to be made and in the current finacial situation it must be tight (oh err), But shouldnt it also be a balance between making that money from adverts ect and not annoying the users with them?
Suggestion, could it go down one side? sidebar if you like, most of us use widescreen monitors these days?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
It is quite big, lost half the screen at home and I run a 24" screen on my work screen when I hit new posts all I see is the top 3. Anyhow its not my site its Rashers so its up to him to do what he feels he needs to do to make GO finacialy viable, I understand that money has to be made and in the current finacial situation it must be tight (oh err), But shouldnt it also be a balance between making that money from adverts ect and not annoying the users with them?
Suggestion, could it go down one side? sidebar if you like, most of us use widescreen monitors these days?
As i said above, we are looking at other ways to implement it using the Dev sites at the moment, when we find a better one we will change it to that.
Side menus (for the forums) are currently also being tested, (so far very positive results with them)

we haven't had much time to look in to "where" they can go
as the campaigns only started last night (which we have been asked to take part of)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 20-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I know you have your reasons for putting it there now and perhaps there was no alternative but woudlnt it have been better to do further testing with the placment before going live as it looks like a fair few forums users have a dislike to it?
Again I understand if there were finacial ect reasons it had to go live today.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 20-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Ok, I know you have your reasons for putting it there now and perhaps there was no alternative but woudlnt it have been better to do further testing with the placment before going live as it looks like a fair few forums users have a dislike to it?
Again I understand if there were finacial ect reasons it had to go live today.
As your post says, it had to go live today
i been off ill all of last week till Friday and its put me major behind for the start of this year
As my post stated changes are being made and if we can get the player smaller we should be able to get things live later tonight with a new placement
but we are limited due to the fact we don't control the player its self
if people can just be patient while we are messing with the system.

GameOn has to pay for its self some in some way shape and form

Left menu trials are still going on, should know more later this week if they will work

Follow me on Twitter
Old 20-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
maybe people can release some of the attitudes we have to put up with now
we are trying to pull in money, we haven't tried to rip anyone off here
just pulling in something to help pay towards things

Neg repped colio for being a dick when we are trying to make some money
Fair enough. The attitude doesnt come from "I don't want GO to make money", the attitude is "I dont want big ass graphics and 'crap' cluttering up my screen when I am browsing.

I'd be surprised if there aren't more people using it here. Spinning this on its head, it may be something to look to work with. Shoehorning the sponsored links in without using some form of scriptwork to do it.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

Fair enough.

Old 20-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfromabove View Post
Thats fair enough Have you ever thought of doing a donation thing? I know a few forums use it and it seems to work? I know i would donate something. Sorry if im sticking my nose into matters that dont concern me.
Kyle and myself have put questions in to place every couple of years (or so)
by using MSN chats, IRC and Teamspeak
just getting a bunch of users together asking them about things like donating towards running things.

Almost every time we have, we was asked "what do we get in return"
people who donate want to have a say on who can stay and go
We have felt it wouldn't be fair, lets say you (Angelfromabove) don't donate
this wouldn't give you as much rights as the ones that do
in our eyes this is wrong, everyone should have the same rights.
donate should be donate, but people don't always think like that.

We had exactly the same issue with Game servers
when we asked if people would help out by paying 50p/1 a month
People then started, "well yes, if we are guaranteed a space in the server"
reserving slots is the best way to kill a server off, so again, we never took that road, plus back then most game servers couldn't have reserved slots (that's changed a lot over the last 3 years)

Even now, we get a lot of users who cant afford the 35 every three months for a LAN

Maybe its getting to that time of year to ask again and see if people will donate

People forget that Linda (Mrs Rasher) and myself pay for most of the online things out of our own pocket

Follow me on Twitter
Old 20-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm i dont think the player is bigger enough here any chance of anything larger rasher?
Old 20-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si^ View Post
Ummm i dont think the player is bigger enough here any chance of anything larger rasher?
lolz

Old 20-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough

Not read all the posts, but what are the chances of getting the video to sit in the top right corner of the page?

I have seen it on other websites and it is not that intrusive but noticeable none the less.
Old 20-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
its a paid sponsored link
messing around with different sizes at the moment on the dev site
but you must understand that paid stuff comes 1st
Then use a leaderboard (728x90) ad aligned to the top right on the same level as the GO logo, not an MPU that wastes loads of vertical space.
Old 20-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

CPM or CPC Rasher?
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote