GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Books

Books From Classics to Bestsellers. What are you reading currently?

Old 13-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
I've just read...

Not dissimilar to this thread, thought we could share the books we've just read.

In the last month I have read:

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Amazing ending. Absolutely amazing. Just when you think you have sussed what Brown's doing, he throws a massive curve ball and makes you realise how easily you took the bait. Like no film where the ending can be predictable, Brown takes a good, fast paced action book and turns it up a notch

---

Sticking with 'the illuminati' and the 'new world order' I then read "Them - Adventures with Extremists" by Jon Ronson - very funny and also very scary. If you fancy a good laugh at the nutters out there, it's a good book.

Non-fiction, journalist Ronson spends a few months living with various different extremists, each one making up a different chapter in the book. Incredible how many of them have such similar beleifs even when from the outside they seem so different

---

Also, just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. Very good read. Personally preferred it to Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. Great if you are into conspiricy and sci-fi

Old 13-03-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I've just read...

Stickied
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Gunn (LA)

Combine Soldier

Gunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to behold

Also read Deception Point after the da vinci film came out, got all three and spend a week going through all of them, and I agree DP is better than the others

(didn't much like DnA, book or film)

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.
Gunn (LA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
gpdimonderose

Scanner

gpdimonderose is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: I've just read...

plethon
gpdimonderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Sticky Vickie

Roller Mine

Sticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enoughSticky Vickie will become famous soon enough

I loved all the Dan Brown books, bought them all in a boxset when they were released lol. The new one is a gripping, cant put the thing down - read too if you fancy it.

Another one i'd suggest too if you like this type of genre is Michael Cordy - The Lucifer Code. Rip off name I know, but totally different story

My 50ps worth anyway

Vick
x
Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdimonderose View Post
plethon
I agree with this.

OT, just started reading Star Wars: Rule of Two. It seems appropriate.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
DailyDean

Snark

DailyDean is an unknown quantity at this point

Went a bit crazy on a groupon deal and now have a tenfold of books to read.

Recently finished
Roadside Picnic Roadside Picnic
by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. Really interesting book about a mysterious zone created from the "fallout" of a temporary alien arrival, hence the title. Scavengers known as Stalkers seek and sell artifacts hidden within the area.
If you've played
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
, that game was loosely based on this book ("zone" and "stalkers"). I was actually shocked to find out this book was written before the Chernobyl disaster, which is where I thought the book gained its inspiration, so it has an eerily prophetic feel to it.
DailyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Jessica

Manhack

Jessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud of

A mate of mine let me borrow all his Death Note graphic novels I loved them :3 and the art still gets me :P

I'm thinking of carrying on with a series of books I started to read before them - "The House of Night" book series. It's a teenage supernatural, but it's really gripping. Basically it's about when some people hit puberty they turn into vampires, and they go to this vampire boarding school and it focuses on this one girl who has to save everyone from evil and shizz :3 It's really good, better than it sounds :L
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

Currently reading
Foundation Trilogy Foundation Trilogy
by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov.

Awesome Sci-fi book - up there with Dune imo. A must read for all geeks (not that I am suggesting any geeks read the books section of a gaming website :P)
Old 29-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Mrs Rasher

Hopper Mine
Administrator

Mrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud of

Since getting my Kindle for christmas I have read loads.

True Blue - David Baldacci
Gone Baby Gone - Dennis Lehane
Lost Light - Michael Connelly
A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
Live Wire - Harlen Coben
Maura's Game - Martina Cole
One Day - David Nicholls

Currently 60% of the way through A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin.

I love my Kindle
Old 29-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Cronos

Antlion

Cronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond repute

Kindle ftw! . I've probably read more in the last year since getting it than I have in the previous 10!!! (possible exaggeration but that's what it feels like)

Been binging on Haruki Murakami's books for a while, so far have finished:
Hear the Wind Sing
Pinball, 1973
A Wild Sheep Chase
Kafka On The Shore
After Dark
After The Quake
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Currently on, nearly finished actually, Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite authors.

"The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept."

I have brave fight to wild bear
I have strong arm lift to wild bear
I am so fast more than train

Last edited by Cronos; 29-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Jessica

Manhack

Jessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud of
I haven't been reading much due to lack of time but I'm currently reading The Hobbit:3 that should take me a while lol, since I started reading it about two weeks ago and I'm only on page 17! :L
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Treasure Island. Loved it when I was a kid and haven't read it in years, so going through it again now.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Just started "The Hunger Games" book, before the movie comes along.

Also, Deception Point is my fave Dan Brown too. Should REALLY get made into a movie.

Oh, and if you can get it, on World Book Day this year, Good Omen by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is one of the give away books. AWESOME read.

(23rd April, if you're interested.. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...night-giveaway)

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Gotta agree with you there Az - Good Omens by Pratchett/Gaiman is great.

I last read Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut which is a great read that I would thoroughly recommend to anyone.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough

Terry Pratchett Snuff and HP Lovecraft Necromonican
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Cronos

Antlion

Cronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond repute

Currently working through H. P. Lovecraft, reading The Case of Charles Dexter Ward at the moment. Excellent writer.

"The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept."

I have brave fight to wild bear
I have strong arm lift to wild bear
I am so fast more than train
Cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

just finished salmon fishing in the yemon. not seen the film yet but the book makes me want to.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

Saw this thread and had to contribute.
In the past month I have read and woulld recommend whole heartedly...

"The stars my destination" by Alfred Bester. (Gully Foyle is my name, Terra is my Nation. Deep space is my Resting Place, The Stars my Destination)
"Armour" by John Steakley (Felix is just an amazing character)
"Another fine myth" and "Myth conceptions" by Robert Asprin.
"Psychomech" by Brian Lumley
Misterwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Wootsy has good taste in books... The Stars My Destination is one of my favourites, and Lumley is a guilty pleasure of mine.