GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Books

Books From Classics to Bestsellers. What are you reading currently?

View Poll Results: Do you read regulary (excluding the customary holiday book)
Yes, I cream over books. 16 64.00%
No, I'm too busy masturbating and playing games. 5 20.00%
Pass, I'd rather blame beanz. 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Reading

Right. Anyone who knows me fairly well knows I do a woman University Degree; English Literature. Obviously it means I like reading, and average on about 4 books a week.

Now after reading a couple comments on another website that two paragraphs was "Too long, I didn't read it, But..." it got me thinking.

How many on our forums actually read regularly? Nearly everyone reads on holiday because it signifies a rest from the norm, and judging by the orientation of this forum, most likely PC related work. I mean, say reading in bed, or on a Sunday afternoon.

I've included a poll for those cannot be bothered to read the thread... O the irony.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
iNTOXiCATiON

Vortigaunt

iNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to all
Unfortunately i fall in the catogary of reading at work and the everyday kinda reading, on my last holiday, i read three books, they brought so much back from when i was younger at getting enjoyment out of books and imaging how the story was going, i said to myself, when i get back im going to start reading more, unfortunately i havent, i have read one auto biography by gordon ramsay and havent touched a book since.

Shame really, just too many other distractions which i see better then a book
iNTOXiCATiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
mole

Human Grunt

mole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura aboutmole has a spectacular aura about
I read a lot, but only really Star Wars and Star Trek books.

Star Trek can be quite childish at times, but the Star Wars books are dark and I think the writers do a real good job.

Love em
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
1-2 books a week if I have the time, Just read the classic Hienlien 'Stranger in a strange land'
Old 13-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute
I typically only read when I'm on the toilet or the paper/s at work on my break/s.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
I read when I travel which is about once a month. Takes me a while to read a book though, simply because I dont like to pick up a book from where I left off and carry on...so I end up going back to the start again.

and its mostly Terry Pratchetts.

In fact to give you an idea of how much I read..started reading TP about 6 years ago and Im onto I think his 13th book Witches Abroad.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Vulpine

Vortigaunt

Vulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant future
I read in fits and spurts (that is a strange saying isn't it? Where does that come from I wonder!?), I digress.
I like sci-fi and fantasy (recently Wayne Gemmel)
Also real life war stories (Dusty Warriors Recently)
And motorbike and gun stuff.....proper lad.
I like some funny stuff now and again, Stephen Fry is good.

No classics sadly....one thing I must try and do, read a few classics, can you recommend a couple of gooduns Marco?
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
XPurple-PoisonX

Human Grunt
Forum Volunteer

XPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really niceXPurple-PoisonX is just really nice
I love reading =]

At this moment in time, im reading three books. (Not literally at once)

You get my drift!
Old 13-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
I must admit im deficient on classics
Old 13-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Mrs Rasher

Hopper Mine
Administrator

Mrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud ofMrs Rasher has much to be proud of
I read as much as I can, time allowing. I uaually manage at least a couple of pages when I go to bed. And one of the best things about being ill is that I get to read loads

I read all sorts of fiction, from your typical trashy novel, to crime and thrillers. I am very much in to the crime novels at the moment, particularly Harlan Corban and Michael Connelly.
Old 13-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
MaddAussie

Antlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Rasher View Post
I read as much as I can, time allowing. I uaually manage at least a couple of pages when I go to bed. And one of the best things about being ill is that I get to read loads

I read all sorts of fiction, from your typical trashy novel, to crime and thrillers. I am very much in to the crime novels at the moment, particularly Harlan Corban and Michael Connelly.
So all those bodice rippers are Rash's then?
Old 17-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
unrealgamer

Fast Headcrab

unrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this point
I really enjoy reading, but I don't fall into any of the selection above.
I'll read 1 - 2 books a month, not including all the literature I have to read for my Classics degree.

Attempting to approach a person in the past without a disguise:
Arthur: "That's not how Halloween works, Gage. You have to put on a costume, THEN you go ask for candy."
unrealgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealgamer View Post
I really enjoy reading, but I don't fall into any of the selection above.
I'll read 1 - 2 books a month, not including all the literature I have to read for my Classics degree.
Do you study at Royal Hollaway by any chance?
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
My wife says i got stocks in waterstones im sure im keeping them buggers in business
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
MaddAussie

Antlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonjock View Post
My wife says i got stocks in waterstones im sure im keeping them buggers in business
I've just got myself a Waterstones Loyalty card
Old 17-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddAussie View Post
I've just got myself a Waterstones Loyalty card
Yeah good idea for them just shame it wasnt back dated for the past few years i would have 1000`s of points .

had to buy another of them cube bookcases from ikea as the books are pilled 3 deep atm in each cube. Im a book slut its true.
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
gray mouser

Baby Headcrab

gray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enoughgray mouser will become famous soon enough
I read a lot. Every night I read a few pages of one of several books on my bed stand. Currently it is Greek Myths.

I read on the train to work, on the toilet, when eating, and while working. I find reading to be one of the more enjoyable things in life.
gray mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
JackMT

Headcrab

JackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enoughJackMT will become famous soon enough
Read around about a book a week, read the paper on the train into college. Reading "The Lucifer Effect" by Dr Philip Zimbardo at the moment.