GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 21-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Stability problems

Ok at first I thought my GPU was b0rked but now in not so sure.
What happens is I can leave my machine GPU folding all night, no problem, ill use the machine in the morning for general web browsing, then ill close down Firefox / any open windows so just folding is running, turn the machine off and leave it, then almost always within 5 mins the machine will crash and reboot (Can hear the fan on the GPU go), turn the screen on a and sure enough its rebooting.
When windows comes back up it tells me it crashed because of a missing driver, Checking device manager all is ok, Do windows update as it suggests and nothing is there to update.
Only constants are the GPU is folding and I have just used the machine for web browsing.
Any ideas? Cant see that just using Firefox could cause it?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stability problems

Any joy in the event logs?
Old 21-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Nah nothing :/

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 21-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Had something similar a while ago, what happened was an autoupdate from windows, (now currently turned off for manual install), it installed a nvidia driver which was classed as important, personally I forget what the driver was for, possibly for the mobo, anyways after that i got reboots and BSOD. Rolled back last 2 updates then was ok after that.
My son has that PC now, reformatted it couple of months ago, but all seems ok now.
Soz its not much help, but might enlighten something.
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

Hmm it does tell me some nvidia dlls are missing on boot, however this happened after I ran driver cleaner which again was after I had the problems, I have checked what windows updates have been applied and theres no nvidia ones.

Old 21-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, maybe remove all the drivers and reinstall?

Failing that?

Format C: /t:1 /n:1

That should fix it good and proper.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Physicist

Roller Mine

Physicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nicePhysicist is just really nice

i had this a couple of months ago, it was a stick of ram that had developed a fault, perhaps run memtest plat? kept telling me it was a nvidia driver! stick of ram out, no problems, ram back in bsod nvidia dll. missing.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Replaced the heatsink with a older 3rd party one and whilst the temps are lower its even more unstable
Ordered a cheap GTX 260 from Scan to replace it

Old 24-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

Even more problems

I connected the montior to the onboard graphics thinking my troubles were over, oh no there not :/
Left the machine on all night, turned the monitor on in the morning and im greated with a black screen, exacly the reason I reinstalled last time.

I get the laptop out and find the machine on the network, I can access the open file share and play files off the machine, so it seems all thats happened is for some reason it refuses to output a display.
Im going to install VNC server on it tonght so that if it happens again I can log in and see if theres any errors poped up (Event viewer shows nothing).
All power saving options are set to not turn the screen off.

Im pretty sure a reinstall will fix the issue but as its happend twice now I would really like to get to the bottom of it before I nuke it.