GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Re^per
Banned

Re^per is infamous around these parts
University tuition fee rise march turns into full blown riot!

I was very shocked upon hearing this, and if you haven't heard/seen the news as of yet here is a link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11729912

What started as a good-natured march turned into a riot, effigies of David Cameron burned, drums banged, flares lit and thrown into buildings, police officers and security guards assaulted, windows smashed, slogans spray painted by thousands in the middle of London.

Last edited by Re^per; 10-11-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Re^per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: University tuition fee rise march turns into full blown riot!

I had considered going but decided I had better things to do like finish off coursework due in for Monday.

I just hope they find out who the rioters were and kick them out of their courses.

Also...lol at the feminist in the BBC news article picture.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcessNeo View Post
I had considered going but decided I had better things to do like finish off coursework due in for Monday.

I just hope they find out who the rioters were and kick them out of their courses.

Also...lol at the feminist in the BBC news article picture.
They've said they weren't students.
Basically, Peaceful Protest + Chavs = Riots.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
I very much doubt that is the case.

A mixture of university and sixth form students. Bound to be many bad apples amongst that even if they stand no chance in getting into uni all they care about is a day off
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Re^per
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post

You think Chavs carry around effigies of David Cameron to burn? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News story
But this only flared into violence when a small group left the main protest, carrying what appeared to be an effigy, and gathered in the area in front of the 30 Millbank office building.
Also, they were students...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The daily telegraph
A thick line of riot police surrounded the remaining 25 or so students detained in the lobby of Millbank Tower.
Basically a little unrest turned bad when more people got involved.
Really sucks though, because it will have shot the lower-tuition movement in the foot.

Last edited by Re^per; 10-11-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
bustercapinme

Baby Headcrab

bustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enoughbustercapinme will become famous soon enough

Students into anarchy? Just makes me think of Vivian from the young ones!
bustercapinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Re^per
Banned

LOL!!!! absolutely the same, and Neil chasing them like "calm down guys, and have some lentils!"
Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Namredips

Vortigaunt

Namredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to behold

<conspiracy>
kinda convenient how this got shot in the foot straight away when the gov firmly backs the opposing side
</conspiracy>

Quote:
A few yards away, in surreal calm, guests carried on eating in the adjacent Pizza Express.
lol, tbh this sounds like the funniest riot in a while, wish I'd gone now.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
evilgiraffeman

Manhack

evilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really nice

To be honest, it doesn't suprise me. I think students have a right to be upset, especially after most of them voted for the Lib Dems, who have essentially ignored one of their main election manifesto statements.

I'm currently in my final year of university, I work virtually all the time with hardly any time for any hobbies that I would like to pursue. What will I get at the end of it? A degree which probably won't set me apart from anyone else and, if anything, will make me overqualified for the job shelf stacking at a supermarket that I'll have to end up trying to get as a full-time career.

Call my cynical, disillusioned and upset, but after investing so much time and effort into a subject I love, to end up crippled by debts now with our current 3,000+ a year system is just depressing. Add to that the fact I'll probably never get the job that I want just makes it worse.

Nothing will get done about this, the government will stick to its guns, price a lot of people out of university to try and get to a system where fewer people go to further education to try and restore some balance.
evilgiraffeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Namredips

Vortigaunt

Namredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to behold

First year here, like to say I'm going to enjoy my glittering career in any millitary but ours. Goodbye doctorate it's just simply not affordable anymore.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

TBH its not the goverment that has raised the fees, its the University, they dont HAVE to charge more, the goverment is just allowing them too if they want too.

So the real bad guys here are the Universities.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Looks staged to me, doubt this was all students doing.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Namredips

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
TBH its not the goverment that has raised the fees, its the University, they dont HAVE to charge more, the goverment is just allowing them too if they want too.

but they do HAVE to due to the '79%' or '4.2Bn' funding cut, they need to pay their staff somehow/
Old 12-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post

Every 3000 from a student gets matched by 4000 from the government.

Government pulls out their 4000, where is the shortfall going to come from? The student.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Moon - Stick

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote