PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Transformers

Gaza
20-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Just watched the film tonight, gotta say, it's pretty bitchin'

Even the story is kinda decent, which really surprised me, some very cool sfx, well worth a watch.

azrael316
20-07-2007, 12:53 AM
i still think it looks poor and is nothing like transformers of old.just a cgi + destroy everything in sight flick, yawn

Soooooo glad he's banned..

Seen it.. IT FUCKING ROCKS!!!!.....

BEST movie I have seen in ages.. Watched it 5 time already.

dayspring
20-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Just watched the film tonight, gotta say, it's pretty bitchin'

Even the story is kinda decent, which really surprised me, some very cool sfx, well worth a watch.

Really!? I watched it and felt personally offended by how the Transformers were portrayed.

Spoilers:

I felt Prime was made to be far too weak, in the cartoons Megatron and Prime were always on par combat wise, but in this film Megatron beats the **** out of Prime.
- They should have retained more of the look of the vehicles in robot form imo, it was tough to make out what any of them were really supposed to be imo.
- The choice of characters was slightly odd; Frenzy, but no Rumble, Laserbeak Ravage or Soundwave. No Prowl, no Sunstreaker, Sideswipe etc.
- Wtf did Megatron turn into? A plane that looked sweet fa like an actual plane and some other random stuff?
- The Allspark, while initially quite interesting in the end turned out to be a shoe box.
- Random quotes taken from the cartoon and thrown in for good measure; "One shall stand, one shall fall!", yuck!
- After watching the featurette a while ago and hearing Michael Bay and co go on about how much they loved and watched the cartoon I was gutted at how little the plot had to do with the cartoon itself.
- Prime saying "My bad." made me want to pull my own ears off.

On the other hand that bird with the dark hair, wow. :D

Milky
20-07-2007, 09:10 AM
I have to admit.. i didnt watch Transformers when I was young(er).

Although the trailers for the film did make me do a sex wee.

I really enjoyed the film, so much as I've watched it 3 times, and will be continuing it watch it whenever I find out someone who visits, HASNT watched it.

Loved the special effects, and the acting overall was decent.

Mikaela (Megan Fox) is just an absolute dream, and at 21 years old..

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Megan-Fox-Screen.jpg
http://www.ninjadude.com/images/Megan-Fox/megan-fox-panties.jpg
http://www.fhmonline.com/images/cms/ct_sexy_desktops/sxdt_dt_md/40.jpg

*dribble*

Beanz
20-07-2007, 09:12 AM
*dribble*

Should I ask which part of you is dribbling? ;)

Gaza
20-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Really!? I watched it and felt personally offended by how the Transformers were portrayed.

Spoilers:

I felt Prime was made to be far too weak, in the cartoons Megatron and Prime were always on par combat wise, but in this film Megatron beats the **** out of Prime.
- They should have retained more of the look of the vehicles in robot form imo, it was tough to make out what any of them were really supposed to be imo.
- The choice of characters was slightly odd; Frenzy, but no Rumble, Laserbeak Ravage or Soundwave. No Prowl, no Sunstreaker, Sideswipe etc.
- Wtf did Megatron turn into? A plane that looked sweet fa like an actual plane and some other random stuff?
- The Allspark, while initially quite interesting in the end turned out to be a shoe box.
- Random quotes taken from the cartoon and thrown in for good measure; "One shall stand, one shall fall!", yuck!
- After watching the featurette a while ago and hearing Michael Bay and co go on about how much they loved and watched the cartoon I was gutted at how little the plot had to do with the cartoon itself.
- Prime saying "My bad." made me want to pull my own ears off.

On the other hand that bird with the dark hair, wow. :D

I was very young when I watched Transformers cartoons, so a lot of the details I dont remember, I took this film on it's own merits, and with that in mind, it's a good film.

Guess it's not one for the fanboys.

dayspring
20-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Guess it's not one for the fanboys.
Or the fans old enough to remember the originals.

They could have remade Arrival from Cybertron (which I think was the pilot of sorts) or the Animated Movie (maybe save that for the sequel) with the tech they used and it would have been awesome. Just kinda shattered my memories tbh, could have been so much more imo.

Colio
22-07-2007, 09:43 PM

- Agreed, the plasma sword was a nice touch, but it felt like it was just put in to tick another cartoon --> film conversion box. It should featured a bit more.

- They should have retained more of the look of the vehicles in robot form imo, it was tough to make out what any of them were really supposed to be imo. - Yup.

When I saw the Jack your body Citroen ad, I prayed that they make transformers, like this. Lo and behold a few months later, I see a website for the film. The transformers WERE well done, but as you said, didnt seem to retain aspects of their vehicles.

However, it seemed that the filmmakers didnt quite want to stick with the origins of the transfomers. In the cartoons, the characters have 1 real life form and one robot form. In the film the characters were able to customise themselves somewhat. Like that radio robot that became a phone etc...and bumblebee upgrading his camero form..etc.

- Wtf did Megatron turn into? A plane that looked sweet fa like an actual plane and some other random stuff? - Couldnt agree more. I thought megatron didnt really resemble his original self.

Yeah, I was kinda expecting this to be that item in the cartoons that turns ordinary transformers into MEGA transformers, like from Prime to Mega Prime etc...that would be cooler. Prime, into Mega prime knock the fck outta Megatron

- Random quotes taken from the cartoon and thrown in for good measure; "One shall stand, one shall fall!", yuck! - hammy yup, but I didnt mind it too much

- After watching the featurette a while ago and hearing Michael Bay and co go on about how much they loved and watched the cartoon I was gutted at how little the plot had to do with the cartoon itself. - I suppose it makes it somewhat pertinent to people who are not familiar with transformers, (whatever bunch of freaks they are!)

- Prime saying "My bad." made me want to pull my own ears off. - I'll take your hammy sayings and raise you inappropriate and cheesy love storyline.

On the other hand that bird with the dark hair, wow. - looks too much like Cat Slater for my liking.

The film was really entertaining, Id give it 8/10 for entertainment value.

One minor critiscm I have is that the bot fighting action was so all over the show, it was hard to keep track of who was who and who was dying etc. Additionally apart from Prime, Bumblebee and Megatron, the rest seemed to be very alike in robot form which made differentiating them during fight scenes hard.

azrael316
22-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Erm, Meagtraon was changed becasue, if you thing about it, a 45 foot tall Walter pistol is a liitle bit less belivable than an alien fighter plane.

Dumasses.. Its 2007, not 1984, its also a live action movie.

Geez, its awesome that we have a live Transformers movie, all be it a little too americanized for some of us. Its STILL a transformers movie FFS.

EDIT : Oh, and Soundwave is confirmed for T2.

dayspring
23-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Erm, Meagtraon was changed becasue, if you thing about it, a 45 foot tall Walter pistol is a liitle bit less belivable than an alien fighter plane.
There are numerous versions of Megatron throughout Transformers that they could have used. It didn't have to be the original gun, the tank form could have been used. Hell he could even have been modelled on Galvatron (howitzer/gun triple changer) for example.

"Dumasses"? You know how ironic that statement is consider your spelling of the word and the rest of your post?

Geez, its awesome that we have a live Transformers movie, all be it a little too americanized for some of us. Its STILL a transformers movie FFS.
Well at least someone is happy that they slapped a Transformers logo on something and are making some money. /sarcasm

EDIT : Oh, and Soundwave is confirmed for T2.
He had better have the correct voice. Ok maybe that is just sad...

@ Colio: yeah I guess as an action film it wasn't bad, I was just gutted at what they did decide to alter for apparently no good reason. Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age. There were some funny bits too, like the doughnut scene and the computer animation was slick as hell (just misguided imo) it just could have been so much more faithful and not lost anything imo. Oh well, I'm sure many people will enjoy it.

Colio
23-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I gotta retract my comment about the transformers "changing" their forms.

Watched the first three cartoon episodes last night..(just gotta for nostalgia) and when the transfomers come to earth, a repair droid, scouts modern vehicles and repairs the transformers conforming to the new vehicles.

so that was technically correct.

Yeah, but the origins of which remain in 1984 and the majority of people attracted to this are the people that grew up with it. Retaining elements of originality adds to its appeal.

Re-writing/re-designing things for hollywood doesnt always have the right effect.

I stand by my previous comments.

I could wear holes in the film till the blue moon appears, but I dont see the point.

There were just some niggles that would have been nice if altered...but overall its a great film.

Excellent chewing gum for the eyes sorta stuff and I left the cinema entertained, so that was worthy of hte scandalous £6 ticket price alone.

Colio
23-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Soundwave is intended to be a new major character in the sequels, with his presence allowing a proper introduction of mass-shifting. Producer Tom DeSanto has "a very cool idea on how to introduce the Dinobots and Constructicons." Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura felt production would be quicker as the design aesthetics had been worked out. If he decides to helm a sequel, Bay may put in an aircraft carrier character, an idea which was previously too expensive for the first film.

NOOOOO, leave the dinobots outta it....they were just a farce to reintroduce the franchise.

dayspring
23-07-2007, 11:06 AM
...a repair droid...
Repair droid?! That was Teletran-1!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletraan_I

"Mass shifting" will be cool to see introduced after there being so much of it in the cartoons and I am interested to see what they make of the Dinobots, Grimlock being my fave Transformer.

olobley
23-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Damn you, you beat me to it.
I would've prefered a storyline that followed the cartoon (ie arrival on some uber-ship, and Teletran I bringing the masses back to life), but if I try and be objective, for a first outing it wasn't that bad.

Agreed, Megatron pwned too much, and thought the bit where Ironhide pees on the Sector 7 chappy was really quite crass and didn't sit with the rest of the movie.

Was also slightly dissappointed that we didn't see more of starscream :(

Milky
23-07-2007, 12:59 PM
..and thought the bit where Ironhide pees on the Sector 7 chappy was really quite crass and didn't sit with the rest of the movie.

That was Bumblebee..

And loving the rocket jump ironhide did :D

olobley
23-07-2007, 01:20 PM
ahh, fair enough, I was half cut while watching it.
Still, it really struck me as out of character for the film

phunky
23-07-2007, 01:38 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

Still waiting to see this... i expected they would have spoiled it :/ i may just go buy the whole G1 Series from Play.com for £80 and watch that instead!

Colio
23-07-2007, 02:52 PM
I got G1 series one and two in a funky tin box....

started watching it last night

More than meets the eye.

phunky
23-07-2007, 02:57 PM
http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/films/18271/Transformers_-_The_Complete_Box_Set/

Thats the one i was on about it has season 1 - 4 on it :)

Colio
23-07-2007, 04:12 PM
couldnt resist.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/s_chriscoli/misc/transforming.gif

Thor-Gamer
27-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Movie was great! The special effects are really good and the plot is decent. Glad that they could take a cartoon and turn into a movie successfully.

fuKKer
28-07-2007, 05:08 PM
went to see this last night and i have mixed feelins on it, i definitly enjoyed it thats for sure but some parts of the film just weren't right. The scriptwriter needs to be taken out the back of the studio lot and shot thats for sure, some of the lines were terrible and listening to them was like hearing someone scratch metal across a blackboard, i could even hear folk a few seats away cringe at them.
"50 years from now are you going to think back and wish you'd got in the car"
"You're a soldier now"
almost as cheesy as Armageddon, both films directed by Micheal Bay btw

Boff
29-07-2007, 03:45 PM
theres an interview with the "boy" and he's obviously taken great offence to being under "Michael Bay's wing"....asking any more "Bay-isms " today no more "little pearls of Michael Bay wisdom?"
going off James Cameron's own dialogue in his under water documentries, Bay's language is probably more clichéee and cheesy than his own films.

I saw the movie on friday, and it was a bit M'eh tbh.
It's nice to see a movie finally.

Bay did say he would ignore the fans and make his own movie and fair play the fan base is spread over two generations each with their own "favourites".

They *DID* try to get the old look in, especially for Prime (as he was so iconic) but apparently, the CGI looked weak and too obvious. The myriad of small intricate details does "sell" the robotic look more tbh.

But the robots were almost indistringuisable from each other.
Jazz died and I didn't even notice get wiped out.

I couldn't tell who was who in a fist fight, love the action and the CGI.
but a few STATIC LONG SHOTS ("oh behold the space opera" - Joss Whedons pet hate) wouldn't have gone amiss to establish where the drama was and what was happening.

(as one reviewer said)
How can small humans outrun (on foot) these super sized monsters (guess it's a reference to most monster movies and they continued with)
Another series of advanced super weapons that can lay waste to hardware and structures is seen at the start of the movie, but the robots themselves always have to go hand to hand, and throw each other into buildings.

adding to that i can say, how on earth can all this technology and "tank shells" get stopped by rubble which a few guys are hiding behind.

and the Soldier dude suddenly thinking, let's make our last stand in a city??? like WTF??? lets announce to the world that massive robots have invaded by allowing them a reason to lay waste to the civilian population.

Prime's dialogue was just unbelievably bad....it's just one mismatched quote from the series to another.

you don't see much in the way of his "protecting" the humans to warrant half of his dialogue.

Half of his actions didn't seam "prime like", letting bumblee get captured....

enjoyed the "action movie", glad transformers are back.

Didn't see anything I recognised though.

Colio
29-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I couldn't tell who was who in a fist fight, love the action and the CGI.
but a few STATIC LONG SHOTS ("oh behold the space opera" - Joss Whedons pet hate) wouldn't have gone amiss to establish where the drama was and what was happening.

<Said the same thing meself>

and the Soldier dude suddenly thinking, let's make our last stand in a city??? like WTF??? lets announce to the world that massive robots have invaded by allowing them a reason to lay waste to the civilian population.

<I think this was part of the story actually. The allspark gives off some form of radiation that attracts the transformers, and I believe that putting the device in a city full of electromagetic interference the actual location of the allspark would be harder. What WAS stupid and idiotic, was the plan to airlift the allspark out using helicopters!. I mean FFS we have 3 Decepticons that can fly and proved they can fck up a few flying vehicles in no time...so that was some plot gap.>

Boff
30-07-2007, 05:33 AM
i just remembered one of the "reasons" for the non-megatron transforming into a "gun",

the film team thought it was idiotic he transformed into a gun.
"it's like darth vader turning into his own lightsaber"

They got a good point there actually.

So i'm guessing the weird arse ship, was infact megatrons cybertronian form.....possible used for space travel as well??? who knows

Colio
30-07-2007, 08:20 PM
it was cybertronian according to wikipedia.

as for turning into a gun, I believe Michael Bay said he didnt want to do any transformations that mess with size.

When megatron turns into a handcannon, he reduces in size...

dayspring
30-07-2007, 09:24 PM

as for turning into a gun, I believe Michael Bay said he didnt want to do any transformations that mess with size.

I thought they were adding mass scaling in the next film (?).

Part of the reason Megatron isnt a gun is probably the same reason in the later generation Transformers he became a canon (and Galvatron was a howitzer and his gun form was rarely ever used if memory serves) or a tank; its not really the done thing to have kids playing with guns these days is it?

cloud_ds
31-07-2007, 12:29 AM
I thought they were adding mass scaling in the next film (?).

Mass displacement?

Not that I can see, but stuff does go from his arms :P

Vulpine
31-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I have seen it and it did nothing for me, the start was awesome, moody and scary, a chopper that kicked the sh21te out of a US Army base.....From then on it was down hill.

It tried to do too many things, and failed on all counts imo.
Story was weak ass, bots were clicheyed and had no "soul".
One liners aside, there was nothing worthwhile said by any of the bots.
CGI was....um...just standard CGI wasn't it? The fights were too fast paced for me to actually appreciate the cgi involved, and the camera shooting style was very shakey, again, wasted the no doubt cutting edge CGI.

Still, I didn't pay to go and see it, so I should just shut up and go back to watching Heroes. :)

Metal Mickey FTW!

Colio
01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
this probably echoes peoples sentiments

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/070723.jpg

Vulpine
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Rep for that find! :)

DARKRAVEN979
04-08-2007, 03:18 AM
and no-one apart from me appears to have got the kill bill reference which cracked me up, the bit where the girl says why does it turn into this crappy camero, it boots them out the car and comes back (to the kill bill music) all yellow with stripes ...anyone? no? just me that noticed it then.

Nex
04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
and no-one apart from me appears to have got the kill bill reference which cracked me up, the bit where the girl says why does it turn into this crappy camero, it boots them out the car and comes back (to the kill bill music) all yellow with stripes ...anyone? no? just me that noticed it then.

No I did notice that but I gotta say what transformers have got in common with samurai swords I do not know.

DARKRAVEN979
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM
No I did notice that but I gotta say what transformers have got in common with samurai swords I do not know.

i would imagine its cos they are both cult films in a way, and besides, doesnt matter if it had anything to do with it or not, it was funny and thats important.
Transformers have swords anyway.

Nex
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
i would imagine its cos they are both cult films in a way, and besides, doesnt matter if it had anything to do with it or not, it was funny and thats important.
Transformers have swords anyway.

True but they wasn't running around in yellow leather suits speaking japanese where they. ;)

But your right it was funny.

Vulpine
04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Transformers Cult? Not in my opinion.

Colio
04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Transformers Cult? Not in my opinion.

yeah, I was surprised you left the word Cult in.

fuKKer
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
their isn't a connection, that Camaro is a concept and the racing stripes are part of that concept drawing

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/05/033077.4-lg.jpg

the Colour yellow is Bumblee bee's trade mark colour, the stripes were also on the old Camaro

Nex
04-08-2007, 05:08 PM
their isn't a connection, that Camaro is a concept and the racing stripes are part of that concept drawing

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/01/05/033077.4-lg.jpg

the Colour yellow is Bumblee bee's trade mark colour, the stripes were also on the old Camaro

Either you ain't seen Transformers or Kill Bill or both.

They don't play the kill bill music in the film for no reason you know. ;)

fuKKer
04-08-2007, 05:42 PM
seen em all, whats the connection other than the music?

azrael316
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
seen em all, whats the connection other than the music?

Do you understand the term 'Homage'???

The yellow and black stripes are a 'nod' to 'Kill Bill'...

You really need to look at the crossovers in movies dude.

Watch both movies again, then come back it you STILL don't understand the concept of Homage....

fuKKer
05-08-2007, 09:41 AM
which i've already said was part of the Concept drawing

Colio
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Comeon Fukker, has NBK hacked your account? :D

The stripes etc, may be in the concept drawing and yes yellow is bumblebee's colour, but perhaps the directors thought, you know what, the style is reminiscent of Kill Bill, I like that fcking movie, lets just play a bit of Kill Bill soundtrack and give a subtle nod to that film

Homages are given all the time.

Transformers --> kill bill ---> game of death

Sure its the film buffs that tend to see them and mostly its lost on the audience...

but ease back a bit fukker, grab a beer and Cheers.

Nex
05-08-2007, 11:46 AM

I guess the music is part of the concept then as well ay?

azrael316
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Oh Noes.. It was actually a 'nod' to cars with stripes?? DOh!

fuKKer
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I guess the music is part of the concept then as well ay?

no, but thats the only thing linking the 2 films is the music. i take it any other film that uses that bit of music is also paying homage to Kill Bill?

sorry if anyone thinks i'm being aggressive or snappy its just the way i type things sometimes :o

Nex
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
no, but thats the only thing linking the 2 films is the music. i take it any other film that uses that bit of music is also paying homage to Kill Bill?

sorry if anyone thinks i'm being aggressive or snappy its just the way i type things sometimes :o

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/movieconnections

fuKKer
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM

Nex
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM

http://www.birkoph.com/owned/owned_help.jpg

DARKRAVEN979
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM

but its not just the music, its the fact the car is yellow with black stripes, coupled with the music, ya know like the yellow jump suit with the...erm lets think about it....black stripes?

Colio
06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
http://www.birkoph.com/owned/owned_help.jpg

right click -- saved as.

ROFL

Mr_Meeker
06-08-2007, 06:21 PM
watched it last night, i thought it was awesome, robots rock. dont remember much of the cartoons so i wasnt going expecting anything or judging it on that, i just wanted to see robots beating each other up, and that bird is hot as the sun.

Bobster
24-08-2007, 11:34 PM
YAH!!! just come back - what an amazing film!!!! robots fighting ROCK!